Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

magpienato

The Swooping Magpie
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors,Melbourne Renegades
Question for those who list the US Office as one of their favourite shows... have you watched the British version?
I've watched the first season but that's about it. While it has some great moments, the US version just refines the whole idea of the show in my opinion. However I'd take the UK Office over anything past Season 7 of the US Office in a heartbeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

exile

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
my top 5:
it's always sunny in philadelphia
breaking bad
mr robot
silicon valley
community

love always sunny so much. one of those shows that gets even better the more you rewatch it. i may also have an IG account dedicated to it i love it that much.
breaking bad is so bloody good. rewatching it again at the moment. if anyone hasn't seen it, massive recommendation that you give it a go.
that first season of mr robot got me hooked. keen to see how they wrap it all up for the final season.
silicon valley & community round out the top 5. those early seasons of community are amazing.

just_kick_it

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
Have You Been Paying Attention
Spicks and Specks
Adam Hills: The Last Leg
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Stranger Things

Honorable Mentions
Friends
The Inbetweeners
Fawlty Towers
Black Books

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shokunin

It really be like that sometimes.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Heat, Dolphins, Marlins, U.M. Canes
Honorable Mentions:
Inbetweeners
Blue Mountain State
Jonah from Tonga
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Futurama
The Simpson's
David Attenborough's Planet Earth

If we were to bring movies into this:

Lords of Dogtown
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Dirt
Goon
Star Wars (3,4,5,6)
Every Harry Potter movie
Superbad
Inbetweeners 1 & 2
Austin Powers movies
Deadpool 1 & 2
Spiderman 1,2,3
8 Mile
Green Street Hooligans

Spanna_

Premiers baby
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Pittsburgh Penguins
1- Peep Show, so quotable and hilarious, the two characters are despicable people and the pov and internal diatribe leaves you thinking in Mark's voice.
2- Black Mirror, nihilistic and a total head ****, love the twist endings and themes of societal destruction at the hands of modern technology.
3- US Office, love the characterisation, don't like the last few seasons though as much.
4- Seinfeld
5- Inbetweeners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freight Train

Single Fin aficionado.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cherries, Glory, Marítimo, Raptors
Dunno about ordering them, and I don't think I can sum it up to five but here's my favourite shows ever

• Game of Thrones
  • Chuck
  • Orphan Black
  • Inbetweeeners
  • The Simpsons
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine
  • Parks and Recreation
  • Black Mirror
  • How I Met Your Mother
  • Torchwood
  • Veronica Mars
  • Firefly
  • iZombie

akkaps

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Carlton
Moderator #4,115
Spewing How I Met Your Mother got removed from Netflix! New season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine has been a bit disappointing, but The Inbetweeners never gets old
B99 should never have been renewed by NBC in the first place. Fox cancelled the show when it was on top, and that’s where it should have ended. Watch B99 get bad from here on in.

1554973391008.jpeg

SparkleNarkle

Insert Quote Here
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
DJRTP, REN, MIA, UTA
but The Inbetweeners never gets old
I binged through the entire series over a week in the summer holidays, I'm not sure whether to go through them again or find something similar. There's a new movie on Foxtel called 'The Festival' that's created by the same creators and has the bloke who Simon in it, I might see what that's like

akkaps

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Carlton
Moderator #4,117
I binged through the entire series over a week in the summer holidays, I'm not sure whether to go through them again or find something similar. There's a new movie on Foxtel called 'The Festival' that's created by the same creators and has the bloke who Simon in it, I might see what that's like
Try “Fresh Meat”. Stars Joe Thomas (Simon) from Inbetweeners and Jack Whitehall from Bad Education.

magpienato

The Swooping Magpie
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
So the trailer for Star Wars Episode IX 'Rise of Skywalker' is out. Not too sold on the name yet but it'll probably grow on me like the Last Jedi did. Trailer actually looked pretty decent, much better than TLJ. Don't want to buy into the hype like last time but there's no way you could make a film as bad as TLJ so hopes are high but contained.

Freight Train

Single Fin aficionado.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cherries, Glory, Marítimo, Raptors
So the trailer for Star Wars Episode IX 'Rise of Skywalker' is out. Not too sold on the name yet but it'll probably grow on me like the Last Jedi did. Trailer actually looked pretty decent, much better than TLJ. Don't want to buy into the hype like last time but there's no way you could make a film as bad as TLJ so hopes are high but contained.
Plenty of ways you could make a film as poor as (or worse than) TLJ.

Hopes aren’t high, this arc has been poor IMO.

magpienato

The Swooping Magpie
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Plenty of ways you could make a film as poor as (or worse than) TLJ.

It would take a calculated effort to do such a thing especially after all the backlash from TLJ. The problem is JJ isn't even passionate about the project, he didn't even want to direct TFA. He's only here to wrap up a somewhat conclusive trilogy which was derailed by Rian.

fancyscum

Lord Mayor of Swoop City
AFL Club
Adelaide
It would take a calculated effort to do such a thing especially after all the backlash from TLJ. The problem is JJ isn't even passionate about the project, he didn't even want to direct TFA. He's only here to wrap up a somewhat conclusive trilogy which was derailed by Rian.
I really hope (and think they will) disregard a lot of the backlash that TLJ got. I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie but at the same time I don't want to see them change their direction for the trilogy just because some ******* is whinging on twitter, that's not a great way to go about any creative project.

magpienato

The Swooping Magpie
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I don't want to see them change their direction for the trilogy just because some ******* is whinging on twitter, that's not a great way to go about any creative project.
I do agree with this, however with Rian Johnson now out of the picture, whatever direction he was taking the trilogy (presumably into a dug out hole) now has to be rewritten by JJ so I think it's inevitable the story will change it's direction. Look at the trailer that just released for example, as a result of Rian taking out Snoke (to many in the audiences distaste), JJ now has to resort to digging up the old villain of the Emperor in some shape or form. I don't really agree with this decision but I can see that it's probably his only option apart from making a completely meaningless villain from scratch in a 2 and a half hour film.

Anyway, I'm pretty much just ranting to myself now but my point is the backlash has in some way already changed the direction of the film.

caloschwaby

The One and Only
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Renegades, Packers
TLJ was a complete waste of a film in terms of narrative progression. There wasn't a lot in the film that happened that actually affected the overall Star Wars narrative in a meaningful way (blatant plot holes, lack of basic continuity and killing off three central characters in a pretty off-handed way is one way to achieve this). The fact that director Rian Johnson was the only person on the writing the story only exacerbated these issues that could've easily been fixed with a whole team working on it. A bloke on YouTube made a very in-depth analysis video of TJL here which explains mostly what I mean:

It's no doubt that JJ and the narrative team will have to shift and warp the story of IX in to something of substance after TLJ shitshow. Bringing back The Emperor and other aspects of the previous trilogy, however they may do so, is one way of doing it, though certainly not the way I would. Though with Johnson killing off Snoke in TLJ, they sort of have no choice. Johnson cut off any meaningful or interesting narrative possibilities in TLJ. This is why they will probably do a time-jump to separate the events of IX from TLJ just to get the story back on track. Episodes 7-9 were intended to conclude the Skywalker era of Star Wars which is yet to fully happen and hopefully JJ and the team will find a way to do so that is respectful of the characters, their past and the attachment fans have to them (Solo's death was a great example of this) and respectful to the previously established lore and rules that exist in the Star Wars universe.

Also as a side-note, no Rose in the trailer as far as I can see? Probably for the best as she doesn't contribute anything to the film, nobody has an emotional attachment to her at all and her relationship with Finn is so painfully forced and cringeworthy.

fancyscum

Lord Mayor of Swoop City
AFL Club
Adelaide
TLJ was a complete waste of a film in terms of narrative progression. There wasn't a lot in the film that happened that actually affected the overall Star Wars narrative in a meaningful way (blatant plot holes, lack of basic continuity and killing off three central characters in a pretty off-handed way is one way to achieve this). The fact that director Rian Johnson was the only person on the writing the story only exacerbated these issues that could've easily been fixed with a whole team working on it. A bloke on YouTube made a very in-depth analysis video of TJL here which explains mostly what I mean:

It's no doubt that JJ and the narrative team will have to shift and warp the story of IX in to something of substance after TLJ shitshow. Bringing back The Emperor and other aspects of the previous trilogy, however they may do so, is one way of doing it, though certainly not the way I would. Though with Johnson killing off Snoke in TLJ, they sort of have no choice. Johnson cut off any meaningful or interesting narrative possibilities in TLJ. This is why they will probably do a time-jump to separate the events of IX from TLJ just to get the story back on track. Episodes 7-9 were intended to conclude the Skywalker era of Star Wars which is yet to fully happen and hopefully JJ and the team will find a way to do so that is respectful of the characters, their past and the attachment fans have to them (Solo's death was a great example of this) and respectful to the previously established lore and rules that exist in the Star Wars universe.

Also as a side-note, no Rose in the trailer as far as I can see? Probably for the best as she doesn't contribute anything to the film, nobody has an emotional attachment to her at all and her relationship with Finn is so painfully forced and cringeworthy.
These sorts of YouTube videos were exactly what I was talking about in my last post. Not really sure why they need to be respectful to old characters, it’s this weird thing with some Star Wars fans, they chucked a hissy fit about this with the prequels and they still seem to have a problem with lucasfilm somehow ruining their childhood retroactively.

Yeah the Rose thing is exactly what I was talking about in my other post as well, the things said to the actress on social media were disgusting and I am glad that she is back for this movie, hopefully to trigger some folks. I didn’t have many issues with her character and she felt a bit like me as a fan of the movies (this is difficult to explain, but this is what I think comes off as cringe to some)

caloschwaby

The One and Only
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Renegades, Packers
Yeah the Rose thing is exactly what I was talking about in my other post as well, the things said to the actress on social media were disgusting
Completely agree. Comments to an actress simply doing her job is despicable. I'm not sure if you understood me right in that I was referring to the character she played Rose as opposed to the actress herself. Clear distinction here is that Johnson wrote Rose as a horrible, one-dimensional and cringe-inducing character and she is undeservedly getting the backlash for it.

Not really sure why they need to be respectful to old characters
I'm talking mostly from a narrative perspective here as it's plainly obvious that Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill needed to leave the Star Wars scene at some point (and must have had to die off). They absolutely need to be respectful in their handling of doing so regarding the significance and weight such characters had over the events in the universe (and outside the film, on the lives of the viewers).

Just like changing the narrative purely over mass audience dissatisfaction is not a great way to go about a creative project, leaving in out-of-place story elements/characters that make the overall narrative weaker to trigger said audience out of spite of their dissatisfaction is not too great either.

Top Bottom