Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

Was reading this on wiki about the public votes to name the new ABL (Australian Baseball League) teams back in 2009.
View attachment 1880185
Does anyone know what the other 3 names per team that were options? Could be a good what if thread.
i can't find much learnt more history on old sydney names from the old ABL, would love to know as well

Recently passed 10 years on this site which is crazy to think about given I’m 20 now, nearly passed exactly half my life being on here. Can’t imagine seeing a 10 year old posting on here these days, that’s for sure 😳

Anyway, FJGD was the first board I posted on when I joined this BigFooty and I used to always scroll through creations made here on Google Images as a kid, as I’m sure many people did before joining here. I’m sure I was a little s**t at times here, and embarrassingly some of those times I couldn’t use the excuse of being 10 because I was definitely older than that. Despite that, I’m glad to have found such a welcoming and encouraging community that’s helped me develop my skills over time. Without the encouragement from many people here I wouldn’t have gone from making basic recolours of existing designs on Paint, to some of the stuff I do now in Photoshop. I don’t post a lot of it these days because I’m a bit of a perfectionist, but just trust me I’ve been working on stuff. You guys know who you are, and I’m so grateful.

Naturally, the crowd has constantly evolved around here and I enjoy seeing new faces climb into the upper echelon of what I’d consider the best sports design community on the Internet. I love that this is a board where club rivalries are set aside for the most part. It may seem corny but I cherish the memories like competing in NAFL Reserves seasons in years gone by, or watching all the new jumpers drop for 2015 (crazy offseason that was).

I’ve changed a lot in the time since joining, I mean I was a Collingwood fan back then (no I don’t regret changing teams, got to see my Dad enjoy a premiership and one of my favourite players win one which was enjoyable in its own way), but I’ve literally grown from a boy to a man in this time. I found a passion for design, managed to learn a lot about footy, and also uncovered a passion for sports journalism and long form content, which I’ve since gone to uni for and covered footy as high as VFL level. That’s something I never would’ve found without this board and site, and again I’m extremely grateful. To everyone I’ve interacted with on here, whether those times were good or bad, I want to thank you. Here’s to 10 more years!

I get the feeling these weren't designed by a Tasmanian. Number two is particularly egregious for the fact that it leaves off both King Island and Flinders Island, which would be the equivalent of someone designing a guernsey with a map of Australia and leaving off Tasmania itself.

Upon a conversation I had on Friday, which is a story deserving its own musing, I've taken some time to reflect on my designs of the past and the development of concepts as a whole. The concept and piece in question here is perhaps my most unique, and favourite ever, which has its origin in my time at school.

In the brief moments when I took Year 11 Art Design as a course, one task was to create a design inspired by various artists to choose from. I opted to follow that of Mark Gowing. His visual art style and ability to utilise conventional shapes as elements to form an overall design served as the main inspiration and at the time, I happened to be listening to the Greatest Season That Was: World Cup '99 Podcast, which I'll forever recommend to anyone. My main reason for taking the course was an affinity with graphic design, rooted in sports which has been particularly honed here. Whilst I was not alive for the 1999 World Cup, its sheer uniqueness in terms of jerseys and their designs had long left an impression on me, catalyzing this design.

Whilst I have not studied graphic design at any comparable level since it was perhaps my fondest memory of any subject taken at school. While this may not be the best thing I've ever done, the process and effort behind it at the time is the main reason why I'm so proud of it and have it in an A4 frame on my desk. While 1992 was cricket in colour, 1999 was cricket with character.

WC99-Art-Design-(Gowing)-Final.png

Any opinions of these designs? I'm Indonesian and grew up with these clubs, our version of Barca v Madrid, Carlton v Collingwood. The blue is from my hometown Bandung and the red is from the capital Jakarta.

Attachments

• persib1.png
    persib1.png
    400.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Persija1.png
    Persija1.png
    807.6 KB · Views: 41
Anyone happen to have a vector file (.svg, .pdf, I'll take whatever really) of the old Fremantle logo?
I'm after that wordmark more specifically but would be much appreciated!
1707517076511.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone have a less janky version of the AFL font someone created years ago?
Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 10.20.30 pm.png
I don't remember the little jagged edges, but I've downloaded 2 versions and neither are perfect.

EDIT: If no one has a smooth version, I can just trace it myself and have it downloadable for you all?

Last edited:
i can't find much learnt more history on old sydney names from the old ABL, would love to know as well

Sydney ABL teams ?

In the first league they had the Sydney metros, who became the Sydney wave and the parramatta patriots who became the Sydney blues…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just wondering if any jumper experts can help me out here. I was going through some old boxes and came across this:

1Y3lRxE.png

I vaguely remember going to the Tea Tree Plaza AFL Store with my parents as a lad & getting this, so I don't believe it's a knockoff. Problem is if it's not, I'm having trouble identifying it. This design of guernsey was worn in the pre-season from 1996-98. According to Wikipedia, Sekem manufactured the guernseys in 1996 & Adidas manufactured the guernseys in 1997 & '98. This replica guernsey, however, was manufactured by Puma.

So does anybody know if Puma had some sort of deal with either of those 2 suppliers, or even the AFL itself, to manufacture official replica guernseys on their behalf during this period? Or is this particular guernsey some sort of bootleg oddity that somehow made it to the AFL Store?

Just wondering if any jumper experts can help me out here. I was going through some old boxes and came across this:

1Y3lRxE.png

I vaguely remember going to the Tea Tree Plaza AFL Store with my parents as a lad & getting this, so I don't believe it's a knockoff. Problem is if it's not, I'm having trouble identifying it. This design of guernsey was worn in the pre-season from 1996-98. According to Wikipedia, Sekem manufactured the guernseys in 1996 & Adidas manufactured the guernseys in 1997 & '98. This replica guernsey, however, was manufactured by Puma.

So does anybody know if Puma had some sort of deal with either of those 2 suppliers, or even the AFL itself, to manufacture official replica guernseys on their behalf during this period? Or is this particular guernsey some sort of bootleg oddity that somehow made it to the AFL Store?

Definitely legitimate. I've seen both home and away Adelaide Crows guernseys from 1996 and 1997 with Puma retail tags. :)

I can't with all confidence give you the full backstory on it, but Puma did have a retail license for the AFL at the time and I believe had the contract to manufacture the Crows retail guernseys. My feeling is that it's to do with Adidas, at the time, not having the capability to make a sublimated AFL guernsey which was required for this design (debuted in the 1996 Lightning Premiership IIRC), or the club simply preferring the Puma "Coolmax" fabric compared to whatever Adidas had developed.

1Y3lRxE.png

Pretty sure makri knows a heap about late-90s licensing stuff, he may be able to help

Remove this Banner Ad

Back