Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway, speaking of controversial topics in the RCM...

YHVHRN4.png

So, for NAFL 2020, after a lot of consideration and conversation with a number of members on here, I've decided we're going to see some big changes for the 2020 season. At this stage it will be a one-off but we will see if it's worth keeping on, as I feel both the main league and the reserves league have grown a touch stale.

- Everyone is eligible to be in the main competition this year
- NAFL Reserves will not go ahead
- People will be able to enter two teams
- There will only be three guernseys per team (home, contrasting away and heritage)
- The competition will operate (ideally) as a 32/48/64 team round robin/knockout (see how we go for numbers)
- The group stage will (ideally) have 8 teams per group in a single fixture round robin
- The knockout stage would be staggered with 1st and 2nd of each group progressing to the second round and 3rd-6th going into the first round
- At either the quarter final or semi final stage, it will be a best-of-3 (all three designs) and if you have two teams left they will have to face off
- Best of three grand final

I'm hoping this leads to more entrants across the board as everyone's got a shot at the big one, and giving people the opportunity to enter twice allows designers to develop existing identities (as I know people are hesitant to relocate/rebrand) and also build brand new fresh identities.

Competition won't run until September, but consider this an open invitation to make a start. You've got 4-5 months to design six guernseys essentially, so no excuses for this not to be the biggest and best NAFL yet.

Anyway, speaking of controversial topics in the RCM...

YHVHRN4.png

So, for NAFL 2020, after a lot of consideration and conversation with a number of members on here, I've decided we're going to see some big changes for the 2020 season. At this stage it will be a one-off but we will see if it's worth keeping on, as I feel both the main league and the reserves league have grown a touch stale.

- Everyone is eligible to be in the main competition this year
- NAFL Reserves will not go ahead
- People will be able to enter two teams
- There will only be three guernseys per team (home, contrasting away and heritage)
- The competition will operate (ideally) as a 32/48/64 team round robin/knockout (see how we go for numbers)
- The group stage will (ideally) have 8 teams per group in a single fixture round robin
- The knockout stage would be staggered with 1st and 2nd of each group progressing to the second round and 3rd-6th going into the first round
- At either the quarter final or semi final stage, it will be a best-of-3 (all three designs) and if you have two teams left they will have to face off
- Best of three grand final

I'm hoping this leads to more entrants across the board as everyone's got a shot at the big one, and giving people the opportunity to enter twice allows designers to develop existing identities (as I know people are hesitant to relocate/rebrand) and also build brand new fresh identities.

Competition won't run until September, but consider this an open invitation to make a start. You've got 4-5 months to design six guernseys essentially, so no excuses for this not to be the biggest and best NAFL yet.
* it, I'm entering

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, I noticed Affinity Designer is at half price - $39. They're also doing a 90(!) day free trial. Coronavirus reasons, or whatever. Anyway I've been using it for months and it is beat for beat as good as Illustrator for creating Footy Jumpers, or in other words, it's perfect for people who do design stuff for a hobby and don't want to pay 30 bucks a month for some decent vector software.

If you are handy with the pen tool it's worth the punt. If you aren't, 90 days is plenty time to get the hang of it. I'm posting this because I know a lot of you are students who can't afford the Adobe suite, and the software is genuinely really good.

Looks like the NRL will be the first league to start back up, so I might need a team to get behind until a Perth expansion team joins. Anyone recommendations?

Looks like the NRL will be the first league to start back up, so I might need a team to get behind until a Perth expansion team joins. Anyone recommendations?
Either the Raiders or Knights for me. Canberra have had great players, great fans and were robbed in the Grand Final. Newcastle same type of thing but if you want more just watch the 1997 Grand Final. Kind of bias considering both places are some of my two favourite in Australia.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey guys, I noticed Affinity Designer is at half price - $39. They're also doing a 90(!) day free trial. Coronavirus reasons, or whatever. Anyway I've been using it for months and it is beat for beat as good as Illustrator for creating Footy Jumpers, or in other words, it's perfect for people who do design stuff for a hobby and don't want to pay 30 bucks a month for some decent vector software.

If you are handy with the pen tool it's worth the punt. If you aren't, 90 days is plenty time to get the hang of it. I'm posting this because I know a lot of you are students who can't afford the Adobe suite, and the software is genuinely really good.

131013.jpg
So far I'm swamped with iOS 12 icons. Apparently you can make product mock-ups?

How long does the sale last? I've just got the 90-day trial and so far looks great, thanks for the tip!

View attachment 855840
So far I'm swamped with iOS 12 icons. Apparently you can make product mock-ups?
From what I've seen, there's no shape builder tool :( other than that it all looks about the same

Oh just mentioning when I opened it, I saw tons of assets for an iPhone (app icons, bars, tabs, widgets etc). Looked neat, anyway going back to my original question, what does Affinity have over Illustrator besides the cost?

Oh just mentioning when I opened it, I saw tons of assets for an iPhone (app icons, bars, tabs, widgets etc). Looked neat, anyway going back to my original question, what does Affinity have over Illustrator besides the cost?
Nothing. Illustrator has the edge, naturally. Affinity is just a genuinely great alternative, unlike, say, when people recommend GIMP as an alternative to Photoshop.

Illustrator is just so expensive.

Illustrator is just so expensive.
Illustrator, even with student discount, is ~$30/month, though you do get the entire Creative Cloud suite of apps.
Problem with that for me is that I would only use PS, Illustrator and Premier Pro, and that's about it. Even then I'd be using PS 90% of that time.

Affinity Designer is $40 perpetual, so it seems like a really good deal for what I would consider equivalent to Illustrator in terms of what I want to get out of it.

Dylan8 do you know by chance when this sale is suppose to end?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back