Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not gonna take it - Twisted sister

I wanna rock - Twisted sister

I want it all - Queen

I was only 19 - Red gum

Another brick in the wall - Korn - epic cover

Sinead's Nothing Compares is a great cover.

If only Prince recorded a proper studio version of his own :(... still love this one though:

Until now I’ve never known it was a cover.

Sinead is the reason I will never shave my head - even for charity. Not because she doesn’t look good - she looks amazing. But because if I shaved my head it would be a rude shock that not everyone can look good bald like Sinead. I would look like a white supremacy advocate violent prison escapee. Or like TMac. Only worse because I think my skull might have corners.

Cival War - Guns 'n roses

Paint it blace - Rolling stones

And a million others.

But seriously, listen to the more obscure ones if you have the time, some great stuff.

One other older love ballad that i should have put in there for you PG: Mr Mister - Broken Wings

Ahhh couple of artists there that do some of my favs, CA

Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia (dont like most of the boss' music but this song is AMMMMMAZING)
Faith No More - Evidence & Midlife Crisis.... my two favs but plenty of others i love
Korn - Follow The Leader and Life is Peachy, awesome albums, they were ******* awesome in their day
Metallica - Whenever I may Roam....my personal fav but sooo many great songs
GNR - Too many to name but You Could be Mine, Civil War, Welcome to the Jungle probably top 3.

While on heavier rock/alternative:

Deftones - White Pony. One of the Greatest Alt albums of all time IMO. These guys are so ******* underrated
Tool/Maynard/Full Circle = Genius
Muse. About the only band i like that is big with todays kids

Scrolling thru iTunes i came across this bad boy just now, amazing song but not the bands biggest hit back in the day (Shimmer was massive)

Cival War - Guns 'n roses

Paint it blace - Rolling stones

And a million others.

But seriously, listen to the more obscure ones if you have the time, some great stuff.

I think we’ve unleashed something in you there Crimson. Thank you though - there are some great songs in your list as well as stuff I’ve never heard so I can check out.

BTW (serious moment) as far as I’m concerned music is the most important thing in the world. It’s the most important art form for me - without lyrics it isn’t even referential in the way a painting can be. Just sound waves. Amazing.

People do and will hate me for saying it, but i can't do Pink Floyd or The Beatles. Dont hate their songs but i can't listen to them either..... I also think, Kiss is probably the most overrated band of all time with The Rolling Stones not far behind them. There. Pretty sure I've upset the majority of people born before 1972.

Love my Floyd and listen to the Beatles, but I'd probably agree about Kiss except I don't think I've ever listened to them if I didn't have to. Stones also I think you're on the money, have some good songs but I don't overly care for them.

BTW I’m thinking about a board ban for you for Icehouse and Roxette.

Listened to Roxette FM all night with a few of the boys from cricket... was amazing. You suck.

Fair enough.

This is fun. I’m adding to my list of songs I need to check out. I’ve already watched 2 movies on Cannon’s list of films, so this is proving useful.

What say I draw up some wobbly rules that mean this time you need to limit yourself to 5 love songs / sentimental songs / ballads?

In no particular order I’m going:

1. Sting - Fields of Gold (performed by Eva Cassidy for preference)
2. Simply Red - Holding back the Years
3. Kathy’s Song - Simon and Garfunkel
4. Cyndi Lauper - Time after Time (also Eva Cassidy cover for preference)
5. Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah (definitely sung by Cohen)

With apologies to Hunters and Collectors - throw your arms around me, Leonard Cohen - Suzanne and Beatles - Yesterday.
Please fix 3. Wrong way around (I assume). Driving me insane!

One the coolest songs of all time IMO, the simple beat and bass of this track along with his voice are timeless to me, still sounds as good to me today as it did around 17 years or so ago.... such a shame the man behind Ou Set le Swimming Pool killed himself after just releasing the one album

One the coolest songs of all time IMO, the simple beat and bass of this track along with his voice are timeless to me, still sounds as good to me today as it did around 17 years or so ago.... such a shame the man behind Ou Set le Swimming Pool killed himself after just releasing the one album

Awesome, forgot this even existed, just had a convo with the mrs about it. Thanks.

Wanted to make sure you know someone made the effort to watch the video posted. Well worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome, forgot this even existed, just had a convo with the mrs about it. Thanks.

Wanted to make sure you know someone made the effort to watch the video posted. Well worth it.

Ive got so many dance/rap songs (songs that i rate highly even if i didn't like the group or album it was on) like this in my music collection, its awesome stumbling over ones you forget about.

Another musical fetish i have is when classical instruments or orchestra's are used in a rock song or dance song, dont know why, just reckon it sounds amazing,

Two examples;

Right up there with Dance the way i Feel for just a ******* cool song to listen to, when the chorus and orchestra kick in, damn. Never liked NERD although Kelis isn't half bad.

Metallica + Orchestra playing One together = amazing...so ******* good

Comfortably numb - Pink Floyd

Youth of a nation - P.O.D

Sad but true - Metallica

Mama said - Metallica - In their only attempt at a country song they nailed it.

Betty Davis eyes - Kim Carnes

Fields of joy - Lenny Kravitz

Always on the run AKA Mama said - Lenny Kravitz

What the **** are we saying - Lenny Kravitz

Saw P.O.D. play earlier this year. Was a fun show.

One other older love ballad that i should have put in there for you PG: Mr Mister - Broken Wings

Ahhh couple of artists there that do some of my favs, CA

Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia (dont like most of the boss' music but this song is AMMMMMAZING)
Faith No More - Evidence & Midlife Crisis.... my two favs but plenty of others i love
Korn - Follow The Leader and Life is Peachy, awesome albums, they were ******* awesome in their day
Metallica - Whenever I may Roam....my personal fav but sooo many great songs
GNR - Too many to name but You Could be Mine, Civil War, Welcome to the Jungle probably top 3.

While on heavier rock/alternative:

Deftones - White Pony. One of the Greatest Alt albums of all time IMO. These guys are so ******* underrated
Tool/Maynard/Full Circle = Genius
Muse. About the only band i like that is big with todays kids

Scrolling thru iTunes i came across this bad boy just now, amazing song but not the bands biggest hit back in the day (Shimmer was massive)

Went and saw Fuel last year when a friend had a spare ticket she couldn't find any takers for. Good show. Also led to me doing a 90's YouTube binge.

Saw P.O.D. play earlier this year. Was a fun show.

Went and saw Fuel last year when a friend had a spare ticket she couldn't find any takers for. Good show. Also led to me doing a 90's YouTube binge.

I dont go and watch bands anymore, mainly because when i buy a ticket and get myself amp'd up for the concert or show i feel disappointed walking out; take Muse a couple of years back, the live show itself is very good but they just dont convert into a live band. What you hear on their albums sounds so much different and better than what they produce on stage.

Seems to be that way for nearly all of them nowadays, computers do amazing things.

Unwritten Law, Deftones and Incubus are 3 bands that I've seen that lived up to what they produce on a record though, all just as good or better live.

Off their latest album;

Dead Inside... ******* sensational track with your headset on

Dead Inside.... ******* terrible track in a crowd of screaming women

The difference between the two is light years apart

Off their latest album;

Dead Inside... ******* sensational track with your headset on

Dead Inside.... ******* terrible track in a crowd of screaming women

The difference between the two is light years apart

That guy is holding up pretty well. Remember listening to Muse at school 20 odd years ago and the guy is still squeaking around up the higher ranges. Guess he's not from the Billy Joel school of self preservation.

I dont go and watch bands anymore, mainly because when i buy a ticket and get myself amp'd up for the concert or show i feel disappointed walking out; take Muse a couple of years back, the live show itself is very good but they just dont convert into a live band. What you hear on their albums sounds so much different and better than what they produce on stage.

Seems to be that way for nearly all of them nowadays, computers do amazing things.

Unwritten Law, Deftones and Incubus are 3 bands that I've seen that lived up to what they produce on a record though, all just as good or better live.

Yeah, I love live music and the different, more raw, sound that it produces but bands are a lot like sports people - plenty are good during the regular season (in the studio) but the elite raise their game and enhance their reputation on the big stage in finals (live).

Funnily enough, your example of Muse is perfect for me - they're the most disappointing band I've seen live (in about '07 I think). Sounded great but no stage presence. Although I have seen some excellent shows at large venues, I think gigs at smaller venues are a higher chance of working. The intimate atmosphere allows a band to play to a crowd easier and there is less space for the sound to get lost.

That guy is holding up pretty well. Remember listening to Muse at school 20 odd years ago and the guy is still squeaking around up the higher ranges. Guess he's not from the Billy Joel school of self preservation.

I agree. Thought it actually sounded pretty good. It's worth noting that live recordings rarely do live performances justice. An important element goes missing.

And here for your absolute enjoyment is 6 minutes of pure genius, the incomparable John Williams, Melbourne born of course.

And of course to complete your Friday morning of enjoyment of the classics, here is the greatest Rock Fusion band of all time, the English/Australian group Sky.

Last edited:
1) master of puppets - Metallica
2) hourglass - lamb of god
3) mouth for war - pantera
4) refuse/resist - sepultura
5) heaviest matter of the universe - gojira

And here for your absolute enjoyment is 6 minutes of pure genius, the incomparable John Williams, Melbourne born of course.

And of course to complete your Friday morning of enjoyment of the classics, here is the greatest Rock Fusion band of all time, the English/Australian group Sky.

Used to love Sky as a kid.

John Williams is a dude. For pure technique he can’t be beaten - he’s the worlds cleanest player. But I like Slava Gregorian even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back