Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I thought that was one was pretty ordinary. Didn't help that I fell asleep in the middle of it, woke up halfway through the "twist" and decided I needn't bother going back to see what I'd missed.

I just bought and watched The Predator. Terrible movie, only redeeming value for it would be to watch with friends and laugh at some of the ridiculous antics taking place. It's like a 14 year old wrote and directed the movie.

Black Panther - also ******* awful, very little positive to say about that one.

Ant Man and the Wasp - dreadful.

The Quiet Earth - not bad, been chasing this one for a while, but wasn't as good as I hoped it'd be.

Silent Running - meh. Hippy movie that I'm sure some folk would love to dust off and point to for more climate change excitement.

Going through my hard drive, I'd recommend:
  • Being John Malkovich
  • Birdman
  • Brazil
  • Charlie Wilson's War
  • Children of Men
  • Dead Man
  • Dr Strangelove
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Gattaca
  • Interstellar
  • Into the Wild
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Logan
  • Memento
  • Miller's Crossing
  • Nightcrawler
  • No Country for Old Men
  • The Godfather I & II
  • The Ox-Bow Incident
  • The Thing (1982)
  • The World's Fastest Indian
  • There Will Be Blood
  • They Live
  • Watchmen
Doesn't look like I've been too excited by any of my recent movie purchases.
Gattaca is supremely underrated

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
While we’re on the topic of movies, I’ve been catching up on stuff I haven’t seen. I’ll give you a review so you know what to not bother with...
I'm definitely going to bother with this one, it sounds awesome.

I just bought and watched The Predator. Terrible movie, only redeeming value for it would be to watch with friends and laugh at some of the ridiculous antics taking place. It's like a 14 year old wrote and directed the movie.
So true. I loved it.

The lobotomised Predator-dog was my favourite bit

All the same, glad I pirated that one. I reckon whoever made it has enough money already.

Last edited:

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
So true. I loved it.

[spolier]The lobotomised Predator-dog was my favourite bit[/spoiler]

All the same, glad I pirated that one. I reckon whoever made it have enough money already.

Hmmm, let's see; you've already covered the alien predator Fido, so...

The bullied kid working out the alien language / OS in about an hour
The bullied kid blowing a hole in one of the bullies with the predator mask
Dr Rambo being called in as a biologist and then spending the rest of the movie as a gung-ho soldier.
Tourettes guy
Tourettes guy jumping on flaming predator and stabbing him
Tourettes guy and Dad Joke guy shooting each other while impaled on a tree and guts hanging out, respectively
CGI Predator Killer suit at the end

I'm sure there are plenty of others I've missed.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Should cover some TV shows off as well.

Westworld S2 - good enough, but a disappointment compared to S1.
Loudermilk - Californication wannabe, doesn't really work.
The Expanse S2 - okay, also downhill compared to S1.

If they find a s**t load of gold on Mars as in as common as dirt, will the price of gold plummet.
Considering it will probably cost 8 trillion per gram to ship it back I'm going with no.

In 100 years yes so...
- Sell gold and put money in a term deposit.
- Get cryogenically frozen for 100 years.
- Be reanimated and buy all the gold from Mars for nothing.
= Profit, then rule future world

Any of you Campaigners run you're own business? Thinking of starting a small business in my town, and tips would be appreciated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering it will probably cost 8 trillion per gram to ship it back I'm going with no.

In 100 years yes so...
- Sell gold and put money in a term deposit.
- Get cryogenically frozen for 100 years.
- Be reanimated and buy all the gold from Mars for nothing.
= Profit, then rule future world
Wait a thousand years would be better

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Any of you Campaigners run you're own business? Thinking of starting a small business in my town, and tips would be appreciated

Nope. What are you looking to get in to?

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Computer repair and stuff basically

Huh. Do you do this kind of thing already? If you want to go into business for yourself, you want to have existing relationships with your customers.

Also, not wanting to be overly negative, but people these days tend to be more likely to throw something out and replace it. ie My iPhone 6 just stopped working, oh well, I've been thinking about getting an 8 anyway. Otherwise, they'll generally take a computer back to the manufacturer.

Huh. Do you do this kind of thing already? If you want to go into business for yourself, you want to have existing relationships with your customers.

Also, not wanting to be overly negative, but people these days tend to be more likely to throw something out and replace it. ie My iPhone 6 just stopped working, oh well, I've been thinking about getting an 8 anyway. Otherwise, they'll generally take a computer back to the manufacturer.
Yeah i do at the moment.

I'm kinda aware with that, but feel like their is a lot of oldies + non computer smart people around where i am

Yeah i do at the moment.

I'm kinda aware with that, but feel like their is a lot of oldies + non computer smart people around where i am
Set it up as a side business initially if ou can fit it in, see if it is feasible. Sort of a soft opening. You’re probably already doing this to some extent, just expand it without alerting/betraying you current employer.

This way you get to test the waters and keep a steady income. It does tend to burn the candle at both ends though but you get the best of both worlds for a while.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah i do at the moment.

Are you flat stick busy at work and can't keep up? I imagine there are quite a few people around who aren't computer literate, but most people know how to Google and those dear old folks will pass on and be replaced by other oldies who have spent more time with computers.

If you are flat out, the customers know you and deal with you already and you're aware of the risks, insurances, liabilities, etc involved, then might be worth a try. Doesn't sound like there'd be any significant cost to get this type of business started. Not sure why'd you want to deal with customers though - those people are campaigners.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I spent a decade self employed, then took a salary offered by a client. A lot of that decade I was working part time at a university which meant I had a steady income stream when things were down. I still run the business but now it's a money laundering operation.

Originally I was doing music stuff but my service list grew along with my clients: so instead of just "fixing" computers, try call a bunch of suppliers and see if you can pick up a video cards/hard drives or whatever cheap so the next time a "non-computer person" says their printer is ****ed you can kindly inform them their video card is also about to break, their hard drive is almost full and they should probably upgrade their PCI cards etc... at the very least, you can hopefully turn customers whose computers you've fixed one time into customers who buy computer supplies/ iPhones/ bootleg DVDs several times.

What helped me was I'd ask clients how much they were paying for something and then find a supplier who could do it cheaper. So if you end up working for any local businesses, try to save them cash with anything vaguely related to computers (even if you don't know how to do it): website building, wordpress & content management, graphic design, network infrastructure, social media marketing, whatever it is. This is pretty much how my business grew- I'd get asked to do a voiceover recording and offer to do the copywriting as well, then I'd find a copywriter for $80 (and charge the client $150)... and then eventually I started taking referrals from the copywriter. So if there's any local people who are offering services to local business etc. that are a different to yours, get in touch and say hello.

And get a black belt accountant too, preferably one that services underworld mobsters.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
If you put to one side the slightly criminalish elements of Toump Ass’s post above - a lot of the above sound like good ideas. I know someone that built a similar style business starting out with computer repairs but then broadening to more general IT consultancy and solutions. The beauty of that kind of scope is that the general IT solutions stuff will certainly outlast the pure ‘repairs’ market - I suspect Cannon is right in that the trend towards a throwaway and replace culture is going to limit your customer base sooner rather than later.

Good luck with it. Sounds like a plan that would suit your skill set. Toump is right about hooking up with an accountant though, if you don’t have the specific skills yourself. Check with any mates for word-of-mouth recommendations though. The planet is dripping with accountants, many of them provide a pretty indifferent service to perform tasks that you soon discover you could have managed yourself, better, and for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back