Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for my first run in about 3 months yesterday, a bit over 4km in 20mins, lucky I have today off tho, because I'm finding it quite difficult to do anything that uses my quads
I went to the park with my 4 year old daughter yesterday and we had a series of sprint races. Not only could I only just beat a 4 year old girl in a sprint, but my hammies are as tight as a drum this morning. I think they call it the dignity of ageing gracefully...

I went for my first run in about 3 months yesterday, a bit over 4km in 20mins, lucky I have today off tho, because I'm finding it quite difficult to do anything that uses my quads
I sense a new year resolution related injury here.

I went to the gym on January 2 - along with hundreds of other idiots trying to look sort of casual about stuff like they are regular visitors. On January 3 I couldnt make it down the stairs without employing an agonising method lowering myself each step on my arse over a 20 minute period with rests.

What is it about quads? Such large muscles, engaged for virtually every upright movement, yet a little run after a break or a handful of squats and they organise a major protest with placards, chants and at least a thousand signatures.

I sense a new year resolution related injury here.

I went to the gym on January 2 - along with hundreds of other idiots trying to look sort of casual about stuff like they are regular visitors. On January 3 I couldnt make it down the stairs without employing an agonising method lowering myself each step on my arse over a 20 minute period with rests.

What is it about quads? Such large muscles, engaged for virtually every upright movement, yet a little run after a break or a handful of squats and they organise a major protest with placards, chants and at least a thousand signatures.
They are the worst, and sadly, second day soreness is indeed a thing, and I'm finding it that difficult to get around, I'm contemplating sleeping in a recliner in my theatre tonight, just because it's downstairs.

It's not so much a new year resolution, as it is just wanting to get at least some of the fitness back that I had back in the day, with the view of getting back into some form of sport this year.

Yeah, I thought that was one was pretty ordinary. Didn't help that I fell asleep in the middle of it, woke up halfway through the "twist" and decided I needn't bother going back to see what I'd missed.

I just bought and watched The Predator. Terrible movie, only redeeming value for it would be to watch with friends and laugh at some of the ridiculous antics taking place. It's like a 14 year old wrote and directed the movie.

Black Panther - also ******* awful, very little positive to say about that one.

Ant Man and the Wasp - dreadful.

The Quiet Earth - not bad, been chasing this one for a while, but wasn't as good as I hoped it'd be.

Silent Running - meh. Hippy movie that I'm sure some folk would love to dust off and point to for more climate change excitement.

Going through my hard drive, I'd recommend:
  • Being John Malkovich
  • Birdman
  • Brazil
  • Charlie Wilson's War
  • Children of Men
  • Dead Man
  • Dr Strangelove
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Gattaca
  • Interstellar
  • Into the Wild
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Logan
  • Memento
  • Miller's Crossing
  • Nightcrawler
  • No Country for Old Men
  • The Godfather I & II
  • The Ox-Bow Incident
  • The Thing (1982)
  • The World's Fastest Indian
  • There Will Be Blood
  • They Live
  • Watchmen
Doesn't look like I've been too excited by any of my recent movie purchases.
BTW thank you for this list. Is turning out to be very useful.

I’ve worked through a number that I hadn’t seen previously - all very good.

Watched Eternal Sunshine first. Excellent film. I liked Adaptation too, but Eternal Sunshine seems slightly less slick which makes the Kaufman quirky thing more effective. Also it made me decide to rewatch Being John Malkovich which was worth doing.

Then I watched Gattaca since it also got a thumbs up from Perfect Footy. I’d avoided it previously because I had read that the central theme was futurism and genetic engineering and I imagined it would be a very preachy, heavy-handed warning about eugenics etc. but it’s much better handled then that. The noir thing with the 1930s costumes against ultra-modern architecture is a stroke of genius. Sick of sci-fi with the entire cast wearing silver Lycra body stockings. Also noticed that the first and last bits of dialogue in the film are both about Ethan Hawke’s penis, which I wasn’t expecting. Difficult to tell if this was intentional.

Nightcrawler was excellent. Also reminded me that I like Gyllenhaal so I’m about to rewatch Donnie Darko in a few minutes on that basis.

Miller’s Crossing I watched a month or two ago when you included it on a list of good movies previously and I loved it. I love good gangster films in any case. I have a friend who hated it but he’s clearly an idiot.

No Country for Old Men might be the best film I’ve seen in a while. I’m pretty squeamish though, but cope with it by looking away every time I suspect that something nasty will be shown. So apart from needing to face away from the tv a few times it was very good indeed. I need a pair of those Zaphod Beeblebrox glasses.

They are the worst, and sadly, second day soreness is indeed a thing, and I'm finding it that difficult to get around, I'm contemplating sleeping in a recliner in my theatre tonight, just because it's downstairs.

It's not so much a new year resolution, as it is just wanting to get at least some of the fitness back that I had back in the day, with the view of getting back into some form of sport this year.
Wait til you get a bit older, second day soreness gets worse and goes for a fortnight.

Did the same thing at the start of last year, decided to start jogging again and after just over a week my knee packed it in and all the muscles around my knee lost the plot. And I'd only run about 35k. Decided to get back into riding and rode over 4500k for the rest of the year and the worst I got was a sore butt. Well thats if you don't count stacks at the You Yangs and other mtb trails.

Wait til you get a bit older, second day soreness gets worse and goes for a fortnight.

Did the same thing at the start of last year, decided to start jogging again and after just over a week my knee packed it in and all the muscles around my knee lost the plot. And I'd only run about 35k. Decided to get back into riding and rode over 4500k for the rest of the year and the worst I got was a sore butt. Well thats if you don't count stacks at the You Yangs and other mtb trails.

Bike riding > running, as you get older. Probably better when you're younger as well. Can get good exercise without destroying my joints. That's why I haven't ridden a bike for over a year now...

To all you old feeling people, if it’s any consolation I nearly re-stuffed my bad knee running a week ago. Literally my knee went ‘nah stuff ya’ didn’t do anything wrong

I’ve just had my first lap swim in a pool for about 30 years in an effort to arrest the fitness decline. Definitely lowest impact thing I could find but I was still puffing at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pool is definitely not low impact. Works everything out, and it's a lot of endurance. It will seriously tire you out early on when getting back in the water the first few times, but it's also the most rewarding.

I used to be very good at swimming, used to compete but once i got older my synesis let me down. Can still swim i just can't dive or do the turns at the end of a lap.

But swimming is still awesome, keeps you fit but keeps the body temperature cool as well, which allows me to push further than i can in anything else

Pool is definitely not low impact. Works everything out, and it's a lot of endurance. It will seriously tire you out early on when getting back in the water the first few times, but it's also the most rewarding.

I used to be very good at swimming, used to compete but once i got older my synesis let me down. Can still swim i just can't dive or do the turns at the end of a lap.

But swimming is still awesome, keeps you fit but keeps the body temperature cool as well, which allows me to push further than i can in anything else
Oh sweet summer child ... it's low impact on the joints, in that you aren't feeling the shocks off your feet contacting the pavement like you do when you run. The older you get, the more you feel it in your knees, ankles, hips, etc, for the days/weeks after.

Swimming is amazing fitness tho, I used to train with a guy who was a state level swimmer, and even tho he looked about 5-10kg's over weight, and hadn't been sighted much in the weeks leading up, he'd comfortably sit in the front pack of time trials purely because he had this amazing tank from his days swimming ... used to drive me nuts, particularly given, as a swimmer, I do a really good impression of a brick.

I’ve just had my first lap swim in a pool for about 30 years in an effort to arrest the fitness decline. Definitely lowest impact thing I could find but I was still puffing at the end.

Did it make you sleep?

I really like swimming - it’s really good to improve your sleep cycle. Almost too good. If I swim in the morning it’s all I can do not to nod off on the couch in the afternoon. No idea why but it’s the way it goes with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My old man just turned 79 and he swims 2km every day.
Impressive, but doesn't help the pool stereotype It's filled with old people doing laps and kids in the summer

Did it make you sleep?

I really like swimming - it’s really good to improve your sleep cycle. Almost too good. If I swim in the morning it’s all I can do not to nod off on the couch in the afternoon. No idea why but it’s the way it goes with me.

No not this time. I was too rushed on endorphins and pleased with myself to feel drowsy.

I hated the chlorine though.

Oddly enough I was still sweating after showering and walking back to work.

But yeah, low impact as no striking the pavement. But I did use lots of muscles I had forgotten that I had. Whole body workout.

Oddly enough I was still sweating after showering and walking back to work.

But yeah, low impact as no striking the pavement. But I did use lots of muscles I had forgotten that I had. Whole body workout.
Do some cool down stuff in the pool.

Then you should be right, unless it's hot. The heat will unfortunately not give you a break from sweating

Came here to whinge about moving home. If you want a full body workout that makes you feel like s**t for days after (which appears to be the aim of exercising), then spend 30 odd years collecting literally everything you can then pack it all up into (unlabelled) boxes and dump it in a brand new living room.

Sore muscles that I never knew existed. Surrounded by junk. Legitimately the worst summer holidays I've ever had.

Came here to whinge about moving home. If you want a full body workout that makes you feel like s**t for days after (which appears to be the aim of exercising), then spend 30 odd years collecting literally everything you can then pack it all up into (unlabelled) boxes and dump it in a brand new living room.

Sore muscles that I never knew existed. Surrounded by junk. Legitimately the worst summer holidays I've ever had.
I see your "s**t for days" and raise you this:

Buy house in Hobart, Pack up 20 years worth of stuff, whilst simultaneously renovating a house for sale. Move all our crap into Storage King, put house on the market, take car to Spirit of Tasmania with trailer loaded with delicate musical gear, Drive from Devonport to Hobart with a damn trailer, unload, drive back to Devonport again, catch Spirit of Tasmania again back to Melbourne, Finally sell house, Pack everything again into boxes, fill shipping crate, Take 2 cars and a dog and cat along with toddler on the Spirit of Tasmania, drive from Devonport to Hobart again while being obliged to stay within view of Mrs the whole way, arrive in Hobart at 11.30am, shipping crate arrives at 12.30, we have 3 days to empty shipping crate (just me and my mrs, and she don't do lifting) so we start immediately. 3 days later, crate is emptied and collected and we are literally just clinging to life.

I would have whinged sooner, but I didn't have the time... :drunk:

How has the soreness been in the proceeding days?
Not too bad. Not sure if it helped or made it worse that I did a pilates class on Saturday as well.

And then I came down with a freakin summer cold and have been hit for six. I hate not being 100%.

I see your "s**t for days" and raise you this:

Buy house in Hobart, Pack up 20 years worth of stuff, whilst simultaneously renovating a house for sale. Move all our crap into Storage King, put house on the market, take car to Spirit of Tasmania with trailer loaded with delicate musical gear, Drive from Devonport to Hobart with a damn trailer, unload, drive back to Devonport again, catch Spirit of Tasmania again back to Melbourne, Finally sell house, Pack everything again into boxes, fill shipping crate, Take 2 cars and a dog and cat along with toddler on the Spirit of Tasmania, drive from Devonport to Hobart again while being obliged to stay within view of Mrs the whole way, arrive in Hobart at 11.30am, shipping crate arrives at 12.30, we have 3 days to empty shipping crate (just me and my mrs, and she don't do lifting) so we start immediately. 3 days later, crate is emptied and collected and we are literally just clinging to life.

I would have whinged sooner, but I didn't have the time... :drunk:
Jesus, I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine.

No way my relationship would have survived that, it's been traumatic enough moving 3 minutes down the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back