Bumped Random Chat - There is a Simpsons reference for everything!

Cannon82

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
At a national sports organisation level, without corporate sponsorship or independent revenues (ticket sales, merchandise, etc.), the sports are reliant on government funding. No shocking information there.

The current, though increasingly unpopular, funding model is called "Winning Edge". It is designed to deliver the most olympic medals possible, a bang for your buck idea. Rather than support participation, the money is put into sports which have a high chance of winning, prefereably multiple, olympic medals (swimming, sailing, shooting and the like).

Having been involved in NSO business, there are sports where despite an increase in participation, funding is cut. The AIS has been gutted, there are only a small handful of sports still based there. The sports science department, an absolute world leader in it's field, has been decimated. There are presently more administrators than athletes. The primary function for the AIS now is tours and to host school camp groups.

There have been reasonable and audited participation surveys from Sport Australia that say that participation numbers are mostly steady, but slightly down for contact sports.

The sport I am involved with has been told that even if we qualify for Tokyo (which is the hardest tournament in the sport to outright qualify for) there is no guarantee of continued levels of funding. A failure to qualify would almost certainly result in a decreased funding. Our national junior program is almost entirely athlete funded, not unlike many non first tier sports. We are a long way from winning olympic medals. But we host the largest, most gender equal, school participation event in the country (potentially the southern hemisphere). Our men are ranked in the top 15 in the world, and achieved their best ever result at world championships within the current olympic cycle. Our women have moved up thirty places in the last few years on the back of an athlete funded full time program. Our best coaches are being hired by other countries to run their national and/or junior development programs on the back of the work at the AIS since Sydney. Yet the government funding becomes smaller and smaller.

If you are not a sport with an Olympic medal chance or a big TV audience, you are simply being asked to do more with less. So the results are less.

With rugby's diminishing TV audience, they are at risk of falling into the same boat as the rest of us.
What sport are you involved with, out of curiosity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blitznu

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
So done the Melbourne raffle for as long as i can remember costs a fu**load and won fu** all. i cant walk past a charity or raffle without signing up so i walked past the Freo ******* Dockers raffle of all things and brought 25 tickets for $50 money goes to sick kids or some shit so good enough for me and i just found out i won a ******* car. Thank fu** i didnt come 2nd or 3rd.

Screenshot_20191021-151400_Chrome.jpg

Cannon82

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
So done the Melbourne raffle for as long as i can remember costs a fu**load and won fu** all. i cant walk past a charity or raffle without signing up so i walked past the Freo ******* Dockers raffle of all things and brought 25 tickets for $50 money goes to sick kids or some shit so good enough for me and i just found out i won a ******* car. Thank fu** i didnt come 2nd or 3rd.

View attachment 768601
Is it a ******* purple car? Make sure you ******* check the ******* glove compartment and a few other choice places for contraband before you ******* get it brought over.

Cannon82

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Shitty lil Holden Trax. Didnt even know it was a thing. Sell it for sure
Weird looking car. Makes me think of a baby elephant. It looks like its supposed to be an inner city 4WD except the wheels look too big for it. Would not want to try to squeeze four taller blokes into that thing.

Holden-Trax-LTZ-2017-drive-side.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crimson Azure

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2007
Mariana Trench
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Lamb on the spit
not sure which buzzwords i used but as per usual we'll both just put this one down to the other person being fundamentally wrong on every single level and move on
Agreed, except from my POV you both fall into that category. I blame fluoride in the water and vaccination. Don’t get me started on 20th century syndrome.

blitznu

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is it a ******* purple car? Make sure you ******* check the ******* glove compartment and a few other choice places for contraband before you ******* get it brought over.
God you swear so ******* much. Surely they wouldnt throw in illegal stuff thatd be a score and a 1/2. Or if you talking freo rubbish then ill gladly wipe my ass with it and leave it at the dealership or where ever i have to pick it up. Maybe have to pick it up from Cockburn

Proper Gander

Owl whisperer and secret agent
Feb 15, 2015
Port Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Yeah ******* horrible looking car
Who cares? Sell the prick - there are a million people dumb enough to drive something like that. I see them every day. Also congrats. Awesome news.

(Also a big FU to Freo supporters who thought it was awesome landing Jesse Hogan - sucked in because Blitznu just landed your ace big prize car)

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who cares? Sell the prick - there are a million people dumb enough to drive something like that. I see them every day. Also congrats. Awesome news.

(Also a big FU to Freo supporters who thought it was awesome landing Jesse Hogan - sucked in because Blitznu just landed your ace big prize car)
If only he’d won the car last year we could have traded that for Steven May instead of pick 6.

TheDarkDwarf

Spec Moderator
Nov 11, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

View attachment 768601
Sensational mate, well done. Although I am sure you would look good walking around in 3rd prize. :D :moustache: :D

Top Bottom