Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
We are also very polite people. However, as part of your education you need to understand some of the local patois, therefore, if after 6 rounds of the season we are 0- 6 then we are rooted, as will be Simon Goodwin. literally, figuratively and metaphorically.

* it, I’ll probably just keep saying I nail the team.

DeesFanTheMan

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs, NUFC
That’s amazing. I can’t even begin to guess how many times I’ve said that here 😂
I thought that is what it meant in America too, and the yanks ******* is their way of showing support.
fu** it, I’ll probably just keep saying I nail the team.
Im curious to know the etymology of the word rooting from an American perspective.

New York is terrific, although I don’t get their too often these days.

I’ve never been to Texas but I’ve heard such good things about Austin, SA, etc.
probably preferred SA over Austin which is going against the norm

NY is good but feel it is a little over hyped. Having said that i loved it in my 20's but not as much in my 30's so might be an age thing

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

probably preferred SA over Austin which is going against the norm

NY is good but feel it is a little over hyped. Having said that i loved it in my 20's but not as much in my 30's so might be an age thing

Ah how lovely, the peripatetic 00Stinger New York is a great place.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Nice. Where’s your brother in law live?

When I originally got Watch AFL the 2018 season had just ended, so there were no live games to watch. So I ended up making a thread in the general forum asking people to post which matches were the more entertaining ones from the recent season. And then I just started watching a bunch of them. The first game I watched with the Demons was round 22 at WC, and wow that was a fun one. I had probably seen 10-12 other matches by that point but it was the first time I had seen a team so consistently playing on and just attacking after marks. It was a very exciting brand of footy for a new fan of the sport. And then when the eagles came back from the big early deficit I just found myself rooting for the Demons to pull it out.

At some point, as i was considering a few teams to support (Pies, eagles, hawks were the others I think) I just decided to start watching the Dees entire 2018 season. Damn, I was so angry after Gawn missed that kick at the siren in round one against North that I came into the Dees forum and made an angry post about it 😂

That thread kind of morphed into me posting my thoughts after the games as I went through the season, and so many Demons posters answering questions about the team, the sport, the rules, etc.

Honestly I can probably blame the likes of TopKent, TheCount, headless, and many, many others for being so helpful. Actually, when I think about it, I realize if they hadn’t been so accommodating, I probably would ended up a Tigers fan or something. Thanks for nothing you worthless campaigners.
I have a lot of guilt about this ...

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
New York is terrific, although I don’t get their too often these days.

I’ve never been to Texas but I’ve heard such good things about Austin, SA, etc.
I lived in America for several years. Mostly in NY and some time in Hartford and Detroit. Travelled to Texas a few times at that point where my sister lived at the time. Awesome country. Amazing place.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Topkent would tell you of a different kind of spreading however.

TK do you/did you teach snowboarding? And weren’t you also a trade Of sorts?
You can get a cream for that generally though.

Yeah I was working at ski hills for a couple years, loved it. Not a trade but more of a Harley Bennell.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Funnily enough my sibling is moving to the States tomorrow so I'll maybe end up there again soon. Chicago is my favourite of the cities I've been to, New York is where I spent the most time.

IMO NY is basically a bigger version of Sydney without a beach. Incredible art galleries, easy access to serviceable cocaine, but for "the city that never sleeps", it sure is dead after 4am.

Heard great things about Texas, defo wanna visit New Orleans next time too.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I’m surprised how many of you have been to the states. I know very few people who have been to Australia. Up here we act like it’s a laborious 3 day journey to get there. Like it’s a trip to the moon.

I’m surprised how many of you have been to the states. I know very few people who have been to Australia. Up here we act like it’s a laborious 3 day journey to get there. Like it’s a trip to the moon.
Well, you will find a high concentration of space cadets here in Australia.

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I’m surprised how many of you have been to the states. I know very few people who have been to Australia.
America is the world's enrertainment epicentre; it dwarfs our film and tv industry. Before the internet australian families huddled around free to air television to watch wholesome american cinema like rambo and pizza hut and we learned about thanksgiving and all about america culture, like beer pong and waving flags and shooting things.

Otoh the only thing the rest of the world knows about australia is from one simpsons episode and crocodile dundee man

Saw this on FB, did amuse me.

4C22CE69-C31F-4B3B-B5FB-9FBAC096A118.jpeg

Australians as a whole in general seem to be well travelled

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Up here we act like it’s a laborious 3 day journey to get there. Like it’s a trip to the moon.
It is a laborious journey tho. QANTAS have trialled direct flights from New York to Sydney which they hope to launch in 2022- it will be the longest non-stop commercial flight available, and take up to 20 hours. From New York you can fly direct to Europe in 5 hours... I know where I'd rather visit if I lived in the US.

It is a laborious journey tho. QANTAS have trialled direct flights from New York to Sydney which they hope to launch in 2022- it will be the longest non-stop commercial flight available, and take up to 20 hours. From New York you can fly direct to Europe in 5 hours... I know where I'd rather visit if I lived in the US.
Bloody oath mate, Australia, if they had any sense! But then again they are Americans!!

RubyLovesTheDees

Debutant
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dragons
I lived in America for several years. Mostly in NY and some time in Hartford and Detroit. Travelled to Texas a few times at that point where my sister lived at the time. Awesome country. Amazing place.

I spent a lot of time in Detroit as well. I kind of miss it but I don't as I love living on the coast. If I could say one word to sum up the US, it would be, convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back