Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah man, Korea is often the real "forgotten war" - and Australians did some amazing and horrific fighting there.

Defending isolated snowy mountaintops against human wave attacks by Chinese and North Koreans that would seem to never end, real awful stuff.

That said, the Americans bombed North Korea harder than they did Germany or Japan a few years earlier, they basically levelled the entire country, devastated it. "We're going to leave it a desert" the psycho MacArthur said.

They bombed the dams to flood valleys, the firebombed the cities, they blew up each and every village in the road of an advance, they killed probably a million plus people.

People ask why the North Koreans are such paranoid weirdos obsessed with defending themselves from the US no matter what the cost to their economy or lifestyle, well, that's the answer.

I haven’t been able to find out much about his time in Korea for obvious reasons.

Yeah what the Koreans went through was disgraceful. Criminal

One good thing that’s come out of my curiosity about my grandfather is that I’m now back in touch with one of my half brothers. He was a captain during the Afghanistan war so he’s right into our family’s history at war. Our great grandfather served in ww2 in Papua New Guinea.

I haven’t seen him since he was about 8. Spoken on the phone a couple of times but that’s about it. Might catch up now that we actually have something to talk about

Umm yeah he’s a proven racist. He had to settle because he wasn’t allowing people of colour to buy into his apartment complexes.

Context matters. That was 46 years ago. The US has come a long way in that time. People change. You're basically acting like one of those people that suggest they would have stood up to the nazis in WW2. Not to mention there is zero evidence that he himself signed off on those instructions. Could have easily been someone below him making that order.

He has lost the plot.
He is attacking the Arab origins of the congresswomen as they denounce Netanyahu and seek solidarity with the Palestinians.
Since when has not siding with a war criminal and apartheid made you anti-American?

Trump views blacks as lazy, Jews as good with money, Germans as smart and the Arab world as aliens.
He has every right to call out Omar. She has stuck the boot into the US every chance she's got (including down playing 9/11). What a terrible country, the country that took her in from war torn Somalia, gave her an education and a platform to become a well respected congress woman. She must truly be suffering. I'm not suggesting don't speak up but how about not painting the picture that the US is so miserable.

Trump isn't the only one that thought Germans were smart. German's Andy Brits were deemed the most intelligent and it's why thousands of nazis were brought back to the US after world war 2 and put in charge of several US programs including the CIA, NASA...it's clearly written in 'Project Paperclip'

Because of the office of the President of the Republic comes with great honour and respect.

Come again?

Donald ****ing Trump is the President!!!!!

.....and that's only because the opposition make HIM look like the best option!!!!!!

It's all over. The game is up.

Come again?

Donald ****ing Trump is the President!!!!!

.....and that's only because the opposition make HIM look like the best option!!!!!!

It's all over. The game is up.

Yeah I know right, it is a pretty shitful situation.

But still, the great Republic, the United States of America, has been through dark times before and had worse leaders than Trump.

And worse opposition too.

They'll be right.

With all the injuries suffered by our up and coming players of be keen to know what our more seasoned watchers think of our youngsters.

Pykie and roos_fanatic08 how do you rate our youngsters heading into 2020?

1. LDU
2. Thomas
3. Simpkin
4. Scott
5. Zurharr
6. Larkey

For those that watch only afl you can have a go at those with some exposed form at that level but where do players like Murphy Watson and walker fit?

Appreciate your thoughts...

Jesus H Christ, there's some fruit salad there mate.

He clearly got around.

Apparently so. 386 days as a Sergeant, 2d battalion of The Royal Australian Regiment Korea and 733 days as a Warrant Officer in the AATTV in Vietnam. From what I’m told the AATTV were in the thick of it most of the time. They worked in small units with the South Vietnamese army.

I’ve been trying to find out stuff about him but it’s pretty hard tbh. The Bronze Star was given to him by the yanks and the Gallantry Cross by the south Vietnamese. No idea what he actually did to earn them yet.

Not really sure about the Aussie medals. They make it really hard to find out what he got them for. You have to be family and even though I’m his grandson our family is pretty mixed up. Him knocking them back doesn’t help either.

Edit- I’m pretty sure those Australian medals are standard type active service medals ect.

Last edited:
Context matters. That was 46 years ago. The US has come a long way in that time. People change. You're basically acting like one of those people that suggest they would have stood up to the nazis in WW2. Not to mention there is zero evidence that he himself signed off on those instructions. Could have easily been someone below him making that order.

🤦🏾‍♂️

He has every right to call out Omar. She has stuck the boot into the US every chance she's got (including down playing 9/11). What a terrible country, the country that took her in from war torn Somalia, gave her an education and a platform to become a well respected congress woman. She must truly be suffering. I'm not suggesting don't speak up but how about not painting the picture that the US is so miserable.

Trump isn't the only one that thought Germans were smart. German's Andy Brits were deemed the most intelligent and it's why thousands of nazis were brought back to the US after world war 2 and put in charge of several US programs including the CIA, NASA...it's clearly written in 'Project Paperclip'

What are your thoughts on Jacobsen as a journalist? Do you think she’s compromised because she’s tight with US government agencies like the CIA and the NSA or do think she’s a reliable source?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all the injuries suffered by our up and coming players of be keen to know what our more seasoned watchers think of our youngsters.

Pykie and roos_fanatic08 how do you rate our youngsters heading into 2020?

1. LDU
2. Thomas
3. Simpkin
4. Scott
5. Zurharr
6. Larkey

For those that watch only afl you can have a go at those with some exposed form at that level but where do players like Murphy Watson and walker fit?

Appreciate your thoughts...

It’s an exciting time. I can’t remember
a period where we had so many guys under 21 with so much potential. The good thing is is that some of the guys you’ve mentioned were plucked with later picks.

LDU I get the feeling will have some serious breakout games next year. Will still be a bit inconsistent but with another pre season in his legs he’ll run out games better and be able to assert himself in the contest a bit more. Being an inside mid I reckon 2021 onwards will be where he takes his game to an elite level.

Thomas’ ceiling is as high as any kid in the country. I never expected him to play so much senior footy this year, and he has given us glimpses of all the facets of his game. Skill, vision, contested marking, inside work, evasiveness. I get the feeling is going to be the ultimate utility in the long term.

Simpkin to be honest he has blown me away with his last 8 weeks since he was dropped. I had concerns about him being a full time mid but that’s been well and truly been proven wrong. Only going to get better over the next 12-18 months. Really only needs to improve his tank to take his game to another level.

Scott in the long term will turn out to be one of the steals of the 2018 draft I think. It’s a real shame he hurt his foot because there might have been a few more chances to play AFL footy this year, hopefully he’ll make a quick, full recovery. Biggest thing with Scott is that he already has an elite running capacity, once he fills out you’ll see the contested element to his game which he showed in under 18’s. At present he could end up playing anywhere; wing, half back, genuine mid, half forward. Has leadership in spades too.

Zurhaar as a half forward he really only had to make a 5-10% improvement and he’ll be elite for his position. That’s bloody impressive for a guy who has only played 22 games. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had a 40+ goal season within the next 2 years. Has already shown that he can win games off his own boot.

Larkey is pretty much still raw skinny kid. The fact that he is clunking contested marks and kicking goals already is pretty incredible. Usually key position guys have to wait to develop their tank, Larkey is already a running machine. The other big thing with Larkey is that he has natural footy smarts you can’t teach that natural instinct. Another two pre-seasons and he will be primed to be a 50+ goal a year key forward.

Walker despite his year still has incredible upside...freakish agility, speed and natural smarts. He still has a long way to go though. Think he’ll be a bit of a slower burn mainly due to him missing the last 8 months with the knee.

Murphy still has a long way to go. Obviously has some potential especially with his kicking but needs to add other strings to his bow, either in the way of defensive application or by adding a bit of speed. Hope he can take his game to the next level because he’ll need to to become an AFL footballer.

Unless something drastically changes I think Watson is probably the first one to not get a gig after this year. Hasn’t shown enough in the VFL.

I think the club is in really good hands when this crop take over as the senior core. Add in another quick midfielder, key defender and a dashing half back and it’s a core group that could take us deep into September.

Arent most of the issues in the world due to the 'West' enforcing their 'ideals' and 'democracy' onto nations in the middle east and africa?

Umm yeah he’s a proven racist. He had to settle because he wasn’t allowing people of colour to buy into his apartment complexes.

If a more current example is required (not that it should), look no further than him continuing to refer to Elizabeth Warren as "Pocahontas". Calling a person the name of a famous and/or generic figure from an ethnic group that you believe (or in this case don't believe) that the person you're addressing is from, is textbook racism. Particularly when it's an ethnic minority and the context of employing the name is to mock and deride that person.

(But even when it isn't - if I walk up to a Vietnamese bloke and say "Hey, Ho Chi Minh, have you got the time?" - that's racist. It doesn't matter how great or revered the figure might be either - if I walk up to an Indian gent and say "Hey, Gandhi, do you where the nearest rain station is?" - that's racist, too. For obvious reasons.)

And naturally, he's been called on it by all in Sunbury. If you're to believe the stories, even his own personal aides have asked him to drop the taunt. As have the leading Native American authoritative body, the National Congress of American Indians. But of course, instead of heeding the advice to choose a less offensive line, old 'Double Down Don' decided to up the ante by including jokes about Wounded Knee in his taunts. Clearly, the man positively oozes respect for Native American folks.

At last check, he is still referring to Senator Warren as "Pocahontas". But yeah, not a racist bone in his body.

Gees he’s really lost the plot over the last few hours.

"Last few hours?"

Quality rant though. A nice Part 2 to his recent "Go back to where you came from" tweet. The man certainly loves a good social media tirade.

As Chomsky has noted on more than one occasion, he's the perfect distraction.

If a more current example is required (not that it should), look no further than him continuing to refer to Elizabeth Warren as "Pocahontas". Calling a person the name of a famous and/or generic figure from an ethnic group that you believe (or in this case don't believe) that the person you're addressing is from, is textbook racism. Particularly when it's an ethnic minority and the context of employing the name is to mock and deride that person.

(But even when it isn't - if I walk up to a Vietnamese bloke and say "Hey, Ho Chi Minh, have you got the time?" - that's racist. It doesn't matter how great or revered the figure might be either - if I walk up to an Indian gent and say "Hey, Gandhi, do you where the nearest rain station is?" - that's racist, too. For obvious reasons.)

And naturally, he's been called on it by all in Sunbury. If you're to believe the stories, even his own personal aides have asked him to drop the taunt. As have the leading Native American authoritative body, the National Congress of American Indians. But of course, instead of heeding the advice to choose a less offensive line, old 'Double Down Don' decided to up the ante by including jokes about Wounded Knee in his taunts. Clearly, the man positively oozes respect for Native American folks.

At last check, he is still referring to Senator Warren as "Pocahontas". But yeah, not a racist bone in his body.

This genuinely made me laugh,

“(But even when it isn't - if I walk up to a Vietnamese bloke and say "Hey, Ho Chi Minh, have you got the time?" - that's racist. It doesn't matter how great or revered the figure might be either - if I walk up to an Indian gent and say "Hey, Gandhi, do you where the nearest rain station is?" - that's racist, too. For obvious reasons.)”

You’re right of course, but man did she * up by going and getting blood tested for heritage only to discover she’s barely got any native blood.

"Last few hours?"

Quality rant though. A nice Part 2 to his recent "Go back to where you came from" tweet. The man certainly loves a good social media tirade.

As Chomsky has noted on more than one occasion, he's the perfect distraction.

He is the perfect distraction. Nothing hurts him. He’s the new Teflon Don.

Thoughts on AOC's questioning of Libra Groin guru ?

She makes some very interesting historical parallels, especially redolent in the US, around "company towns" and the use of scrip.

Just on this, who the hell claims they belong to a particular culture with a 1/1024th DNA marker?

Most people can’t claim citizenship of another nation, usually, beyond their grand parents.

Just on this, who the hell claims they belong to a particular culture with a 1/1024th DNA marker?

Most people can’t claim citizenship of another nation, usually, beyond their grand parents.

Bonkers. Maybe her family always thought it?

Doesn’t change Trump calling her Pocahontas being racist though. Even if he’s to stupid to realise he’s being racist

Last edited:
Doesn’t change Trump calling her Pocahontas being racist though. Even if he’s to stupid to realise he’s being racist

You can't BE racist without INTENDING to be racist!!!!!!!

How ****ing nuts has the world become when I find myself in the position of defending Donald ****ing Trump?

Bonkers. He family maybe always thought it?

I was referring to Warren, but I get your point.

I was more interested in his use of ‘Pocahontas’ when he met the NI code talkers. He must not have known the historical fallacies involved with the P story, as he used the sacrificial part, which probably didn’t happen, to the actions of the code breakers. The intent was at equalising the bravery aspects, I guess.

It came back to the intent as SB suggested, as stupid as the slur was. In saying that, I get why some view it as a racist slur and that argument can easily be made.

In a lot of ways he’s a master troll, in others, he’s mind boggling ignorant of history and geo-politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back