Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading that, it sounds like you maybe describing the Congo Crisis, which is a very complicated affair, involving former colonial powers, the UN, the USA and a variety of corporate interests over a number of years.

As in the war that's killed 6-8 million people in the last 20 years?

:thumbsu::greenheart::eartheurafr:

"Pink Floyd's David Gilmour Sold His Guitars For $21.5 Million - And Donated Everything to Fight Climate Change.

At least he's not selling them to build a wall.

David Beard June 26, 2019.

Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour, stirred by the message of 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg, wanted to do something to improve the world.
But what could he do?

Last week, Gilmour auctioned off his guitars, including the black Fender Stratocaster that helped create Dark Side of the Moon and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. He said goodbye to the 12-string Martin behind Wish You Were Here. In all, he raised $21.5 million—that’s right, $21.5 million.

He gave the proceeds from the most valuable auction of musical instruments in history to a nonprofit that fights climate change.

“The global climate crisis is the greatest challenge that humanity will ever face,” Gilmour tweeted. “We need a civilised world that goes on for all our grandchildren and beyond in which these guitars can be played and songs can be sung.” And then, in a video, he strummed a placid instrumental.

Gilmour donated to a charity called ClientEarth, which takes legal steps to combat climate change."

https://www.motherjones.com/media/2...IMqx1a59YLP8HnpJ2Tyus-x-6IqstD0AVE_KK9APvfZm0

https://www.clientearth.org/

Beer gut is starting to get a bit too noticeable for my liking.

Decided to run a half marathon so I have something to aim for, but so I’m not completely selfish I’m aiming to raise some cash for the great work the people at the Royal Women’s do.

Appreciate any financial support anyone would like to throw our way. Even just a spare tenner.

Having our first little one late last year (a North member six hours after she was born ...”What are you doing with the credit card?” “Nothing, just go back to sleep. You need to rest”...
I couldn’t have been more impressed with the healthcare system & the support we received leading up to, during & since the birth.
I think people probably need to stop & think about how good we have it here sometimes. I know I didn’t enough beforehand. God forbid we had to deal with something worse than a regular healthy process, but I know if we did we would have been in fantastic hands.

Anyway, I’m raising some coin for the crew at the women’s whilst I run off the beers.

*if this isn’t thread or forum appropriate, I appreciate if this is deleted.

Link below.

Cheers, Mark.

Beer gut is starting to get a bit too noticeable for my liking.

Decided to run a half marathon so I have something to aim for, but so I’m not completely selfish I’m aiming to raise some cash for the great work the people at the Royal Women’s do.

Appreciate any financial support anyone would like to throw our way. Even just a spare tenner.

Having our first little one late last years (a member six hours after she was born ...”What are you doing with the credit card?” “Nothing, just go back to sleep. You need to rest”...
I couldn’t have been more impressed with the healthcare system & the support we received leading up to, during & since the birth.
I think people sometimes probably need to stop & think about how good we have it here sometimes. I know I didn’t enough beforehand. God forbid we had to deal with something worse than a regular healthy process, but I know if we did we would have been in fantastic hands.

Anyway, I’m reasoning some coin for the crew at the women’s whilst I run off the beers.

*if this isn’t thread or forum appropriate, I appreciate if this is deleted.

Link below.

Cheers, Mark.

Make a thread if you haven’t mate, you’ll get more hits that way.

Okay I have no idea what the go here is but as far as I'm concerned

Val Keating Phillyroo

I'm aware both of you will read this - if you have issues with each other, please deal with it in PMs. Tagging one another to drag it out in a public forum isn't something everyone wants to see. Thankfully this post is coming before the mods have to delete 80 posts of back and forth abuse, but please listen to this advice. We as mods don't ever really want to have to ban any North supporters from the North forum but in extreme circumstances - and this would certainly qualify - we will have to consider temporary measures

Thanks guys

all the worlds problems can be blamed on this guy (more or less)
View attachment 711825
aka Gavrilo Princip the man who killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand. that one death started WWI and look what happened.

So global imperialism (and in this particular case, the austro-hungarian form) had nothing to do with it?

You'll be hard pressed to find any singular root cause to the modern world's problems.

But to put a Serbian dude murdering a prince ahead of things like profit and political power is absurd, IMO.

So global imperialism (and in this particular case, the austro-hungarian form) had nothing to do with it?

You'll be hard pressed to find any singular root cause to the modern world's problems.

But to put a Serbian dude murdering a prince ahead of things like profit and political power is absurd, IMO.
was saying if the Duke wasn't killed, maybe things would have been a little better.

Val Keating Phillyroo

I'm aware both of you will read this - if you have issues with each other, please deal with it in PMs. Tagging one another to drag it out in a public forum isn't something everyone wants to see. Thankfully this post is coming before the mods have to delete 80 posts of back and forth abuse, but please listen to this advice. We as mods don't ever really want to have to ban any North supporters from the North forum but in extreme circumstances - and this would certainly qualify - we will have to consider temporary measures

Thanks guys

Fair enough. I’ll drop it. Unless I missed it, it was all from me in here.

Have you been able to find anything about his Korean service record in the war memorial archives online?

Just his service record. Don’t think there’s much else. I met my grandmother last year and she didn’t say much. Apparently they lived in Malaysia for a while, not sure if that was for the Vietnam or Korean War. She half jokingly said that I’d have cousins over there because of all the girlfriends he had.

He joined the army in the early 50’s and left in the 70’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This story picks up a few themes we've discussed in this thread.

Notably - why national borders are by and large very different to the borders in people's heads and the potential for private armed groups to supersede a state.

The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have been accused of widespread abuses in Sudan, including the 3 June massacre in which more than 120 people were reportedly killed, with many of the dead dumped in the River Nile. Sudan expert Alex de Waal charts their rise.

The RSF are now the real ruling power in Sudan. They are a new kind of regime: a hybrid of ethnic militia and business enterprise, a transnational mercenary force that has captured a state.

The core of the Janjaweed were camel-herding nomads from the Mahamid and Mahariya branches of the Rizeigat ethnic group of northern Darfur and adjoining areas of Chad - they ranged across the desert edge long before the border was drawn.

Read the story here

Last edited:
Hey JeanLucGoddard youre not mates with Andrew Rule are you? He just dropped an episode about the dodgy buildings in Melbourne.

Nah, never met the bloke, I know lots of journos, but not him or his mate Silvester (spew)

Val Keating Phillyroo

Thanks guys

Unless you are a cereal pest like IUB of course

Reading that, it sounds like you maybe describing the Congo Crisis, which is a very complicated affair, involving former colonial powers, the UN, the USA and a variety of corporate interests over a number of years.

It was the King Leopold II of Belgium that completely ****ed over the Congo. Belgium was late to the party of rorting Africa so he made up some bullshit about it being a humanitarian cause to keep the people asking questions back in Europe sweet with what they were doing.
He established the ‘Congo Free State’ which purpose was ‘improving the lives of the native inhabitants.’

I reality, with a mercenary army he robbed the area for everything it was worth. Mainly rubber.

I’m going off the top of my head here but he wanted a hand (yes a literal hand) for every bullet fired for proof they weren’t wasting ammo. This lead to the mercenary’s chopping of loads of hands of random people because not every bullet would kill the target.

The area has never recovered and there’s still statues of the King in Belgium to this day. The thing is he didn’t do it to make Belgium richer, just himself.

He’s one of the most evil people to ever live

This story picks up a few themes we've discussed in this thread.

Notably - why national borders are by and large very different to the borders in people's heads and the potential for private armed groups to supersede a state.

Read the story here

FMD. You give me more reading then my school teachers. Difference is I actually read your stuff.

It was the King Leopold II of Belgium that completely f’ed over the Congo. Belgium was late to the party of rorting Africa so he made up some bulls**t about it being a humanitarian cause to keep the people asking questions back in Europe sweet with what they were doing.
He established the ‘Congo Free State’ which purpose was ‘improving the lives of the native inhabitants.’

I reality, with a mercenary army he robbed the area for everything it was worth. Mainly rubber.

I’m going off the top of my head here but he wanted a hand (yes a literal hand) for every bullet fired for proof they weren’t wasting ammo. This lead to the mercenary’s chopping of loads of hands of random people because not every bullet would kill the target.

The area has never recovered and there’s still statues of the King in Belgium to this day. The thing is he didn’t do it to make Belgium richer, just himself.

Separate incidents divided by decades, but some strong historical linkages between the two events.

They chopped hands off for stealing and instituted severe (Nazi-esque) collective punishment quite often in Leopold's time. History has not treated King Leopold well.

It was the King Leopold II of Belgium that completely f’ed over the Congo. Belgium was late to the party of rorting Africa so he made up some bulls**t about it being a humanitarian cause to keep the people asking questions back in Europe sweet with what they were doing.

Yeah, I lived in Brussels for a year and there's stuff named after him EVERYWHERE, metro lines and stations, squares, palaces etc.

Lots of Congolese there too, one thing I found interesting is that the Congolese folks are by and large the friendliest and most polite folks you'll meet, you can go to Matonge, the African area, in the middle of the night and walk around like its broad daylight.

The North African areas like Molenbeek and Schaerbeek? They aren't the "no go zones" beloved by flogs that Groin guru watches on YouTube, but they are pretty rough and ready, there's certainly a vibe there. You'd keep your wits about you and there's high crime relatively speaking.

And the Congolese didn't go and shoot up Paris or bomb my old metro station or the airport either.

Despite having more historical motive to attack Belgium than Moroccans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back