Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll check it out.

Kids & carbon:
View attachment 775161

Abstract

Much attention has been paid to the ways that people’s home energy use, travel, food choices and other routine activities affect their emissions of carbon dioxide and, ultimately, their contributions to global warming. However, the reproductive choices of an individual are rarely incorporated into calculations of his personal impact on the environment. Here we estimate the extra emissions of fossil carbon dioxide that an average individual causes when he or she chooses to have children. The summed emissions of a person’s descendants, weighted by their relatedness to him, may far exceed the lifetime emissions produced by the original parent. Under current conditions in the United States, for example, each child adds about 9441 metric tons of carbon dioxide to the carbon legacy of an average female, which is 5.7 times her lifetime emissions. A person’s reproductive choices must be considered along with his day-to-day activities when assessing his ultimate impact on the global environment.

View attachment 775162
View attachment 775163
View attachment 775164

General discussion

Table 3 compares the emissions attributable to an individual’s reproduction to the emissions that are avoidable through changes in household activities and transportation during the individual’s lifetime. Clearly, the potential savings from reduced reproduction are huge compared to the savings that can be achieved by changes in lifestyle. For example, a woman in the United States who adopted the six non-reproductive changes in Table 3 would save about 486 tons of CO2 emissions during her lifetime, but, if she were to have two children, this would eventually add nearly 40 times that amount of CO2 (18,882 t) to the earth’s atmosphere.

This is not to say that lifestyle changes are unimportant; in fact, they are essential, since immediate reductions in emissions worldwide are needed to limit the damaging effects of climate change that are already being documented Kerr, 2007, Moriarty and Honnery, 2008. The amplifying effect of an individual’s reproduction documented here implies that such lifestyle changes must propagate through future generations in order to be fully effective, and that enormous future benefits can be gained by immediate changes in reproductive behavior.

It is important to remember that these analyses focus on the carbon legacies of individuals, not populations. For example, under the constant-emission scenario, an extra child born to a woman in the United States ultimately increases her carbon legacy by an amount (9441 metric tons) that is nearly seven times the analagous quantity for a woman in China (1384 tons), but, because of China’s enormous population size, its total carbon emissions currently exceed those of the United States (Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, 2008).

Clearly, an individual’s reproductive choices can have a dramatic effect on the total carbon emissions ultimately attributable to his or her genetic lineage. Understanding the ways that an individual’s daily activities influence emissions and explain the huge disparities in per capita emissions among countries (Table 1) is obviously essential, but ignoring the consequences of reproduction can lead to serious underestimation of an individual’s long-term impact on the global environment.

Does China still have the one child per couple policy?

wain’t till the Modi, deeply nationalist, comes out and blames China/Pakistan for its fresh water crisis.

They’re going to overtake China in population soon.

Does China still have the one child per couple policy?

I'm not up to date with that as of the 6/11/2019.

I do believe there were social issues caused by couples favoring sons and aborting daughters, which is understandable.

Culture getting in the way of biology.

They’re going to overtake China in population soon.

Birth rates in underdeveloped countries are implicitly linked with poverty (lack of contraception, requirements for more kids to assist in cultivating poor land for food, religion, support for parental-age -health related issues).

Raise people up out of poverty and the birth rates go down.

I'm not up to date with that as of the 6/11/2019.

I do believe there were social issues caused by couples favoring sons and aborting daughters, which is understandable.

Culture getting in the way of biology.

I remember watching an episode of 60 minutes as a kid about it. Haven’t heard much of it since. Lots of abandoned girls from memory

I remember watching an episode of 60 minutes as a kid about it. Haven’t heard much of it since. Lots of abandoned girls from memory

.....................and lots of frustrated horny young men roaming around looking for wives. This brings its own social luggage.

Mike Carlton blocked me before telling me to go f myself, a mate had to break the news to me. Crikey he's a s**t bloke.

He's a ******* moron.

JeanLucGoddard Another fine example of project veritas, an independent doing solid investigative journalistic work. Whereas the mainstream media (ABC) sold out the people.

MSM protecting people that undermine our freedoms. How many children were raped and tortured because this story was buried. Brave soldiers like Alex Jones tried to warn everyone but was labeled a conspiracy theorist by your ilk.

How do you sleep at night? May God have mercy on your soul!

Interesting.

A senior Victorian Liberal Party figure has admitted that Chinese-language signs used in May's federal election in two Melbourne seats were designed to convey the appearance of official electoral commission material.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a full video anywhere? I’ve read that she said they squashed it after pressure from the Royal family but she doesn’t say that in the clip.

Edit. Never mind lol. Just rewatched it. I missed the start 😳

My missus asked what I'd heard about Epstein not killing himself today...

Its reaching saturation point now. Did he kill himself. Was he killed. Everyone is unsure which is true. Which one is it?

He has to still be alive. Obviously.

It doesn't matter whether he was murdered or topped himself, the conversation is that he is dead. That's what happened. Its the public perception.

There's heaps of old rich white dudes that look like him. A bit of plastic surgery and who is ever gonna tell? Its not like we'd recognise him in the street anyway. He's invisible, and has a record of everyone who he has ever done "business" with. No doubt videos as well. And channels to various people's political enemies.

If he didn't/doesn't have the insurance to keep himself alive he doesn't deserve to be.

Also I find that video of Robach annoying.

Is she upset because she missed out on the plaudits of breaking the story not on the context of it or the fact she still works for the organisation that killed the story or cause of the story itself? Robach got promoted to anchor of 20/20 which was a "respected" current afairs show until about the time she took over, since when its become (some would say "even more") tabloid.

She had this huge story about Epstein, got promoted to anchor her own flagship type prime time US current affairs show and someone else "killed" her story.

In other news poor James Hird was so hardly done by.

:rolleyes:

What happened
Part of his crusade to tell people how much he doesn't care about the Melbourne Cup was to talk about it more than *ing racing commentators.
Anyway he puts up a photo from Flemington of 2 middle aged ladies, clearly drunk, a bit overweight, one has fallen over and they are laughing their heads off. You can tell they are having a ball.
And he captions the tweet "And our next two entrants for Myer fashions on the field..."
Then blocked everyone who took exception to it, then told us all to go * ourselves.
He is a turd of a bloke.

My missus asked what I'd heard about Epstein not killing himself today...

Its reaching saturation point now. Did he kill himself. Was he killed. Everyone is unsure which is true. Which one is it?

He has to still be alive. Obviously.

It doesn't matter whether he was murdered or topped himself, the conversation is that he is dead. That's what happened. Its the public perception.

There's heaps of old rich white dudes that look like him. A bit of plastic surgery and who is ever gonna tell? Its not like we'd recognise him in the street anyway. He's invisible, and has a record of everyone who he has ever done "business" with. No doubt videos as well. And channels to various people's political enemies.

If he didn't/doesn't have the insurance to keep himself alive he doesn't deserve to be.

I can’t buy that he’s not dead but there is so many layers to this story that we’ll never know.

Part of his crusade to tell people how much he doesn't care about the Melbourne Cup was to talk about it more than f*n racing commentators.
Anyway he puts up a photo from Flemington of 2 middle aged ladies, clearly drunk, a bit overweight, one has fallen over and they are laughing their heads off. You can tell they are having a ball.
And he captions the tweet "And our next two entrants for Myer fashions on the field..."
Then blocked everyone who took exception to it, then told us all to go fu** ourselves.
He is a turd of a bloke.
Is this the Bogut thing?

I saw something on fb where he had a similar rant and rave then blocked any person disagreeing.
Who were you talking about?
Mike Carlton.

I did see Bogut was blocking people for saying "ok Boomer" because he didn't get the joke. That was pretty funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back