Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was your great, great grandfather hunted for his scalp so it could be cashed in for payment by the government? Was your great grandfather tricked into signing land away when he had no concept of land ownership? Was your grandmother stolen and forced into serving white people? Was your father unemployable because he had been displaced and in the space of three generations expected to fall inline with western capitalism, even though he wasn’t considered equal?

Don’t dare try to compare being old and overweight with what the indigenous people of our country have had to endure. Turn it up ffs.

250 years ago the aboriginal peoples were conquered by a superior technology.

Assigning contemporary guilt to this is just absurd. What about those poor Carthaginians in 146 B.C.? My "white guilt" bleeds for them.

Last edited:

250 years ago the aboriginal peoples were conquered by a superior technology.

Assigning contemporary guilt to this is just absurd. What about those poor Carthaginians in 146 B.C.? My "white guilt" bleeds for them.

Come on snake. You can’t compare it to the Punic wars. They were thousands of years ago. By your logic Jewish people should get over the holocaust because it didn’t happen in this generation. Whilst we’re at it African Americans should get over that whole slavery thing.

I’m sure 2,000 years from now it won’t be so raw for the indigenous people of Australia.

Come on snake. You can’t compare it to the Punic wars. They were thousands of years ago. By your logic Jewish people should get over the holocaust because it didn’t happen in this generation. Whilst we’re at it African Americans should get over that whole slavery thing.

I’m sure 2,000 years from now it won’t be so raw for the indigenous people of Australia.

Can you show me some type of implied guilt calibration curve that I can consult for future reference?

Btw. Notice how he doesn’t actually address racism in that bit? He sticks to clothes for a reason.

It's a metaphor.

It’s about how they feel.

Indeed. Regardless of where credibility might intersect.

I feel differently about a whole swathe of things, but that doesn't give me any implied right to control society.

The thing is though there are all these people claiming they only booed him because of his playing style which is fair enough, but the shitstorm of booing became epidemic when he decided to call out racism. I think there are plenty of people who are behind that excuse.
It became epidemic because the afl and media stuck their nose in and said no one is allowed to boo him, therefore elevating Goodes to the status of highly privileged, whether he liked it or not. When combined with favourable umpiring towards him, and other stars, the booing was always going to reach fever pitch. People are sheep in these types of situations. Australians, throughout our cultural history, have loved being rebellious sheep towards any kind of higher authority and higher privilege.

The racism angle was always a minor part of it, but its influence has been exaggerated, as it suits people’s perception of the world surrounding them. It suits some people to push anecdotal examples and then argue that it is a part of a wider trend, even if they cannot hope to ever prove it.

The reality is, anecdotal examples are exactly what they are, anecdotal, not systemic. Australia has not magically become more racist than it was in the 1950’s, the notion is nonsensical.

It became epidemic because the afl and media stuck their nose in and said no one is allowed to boo him, therefore elevating Goodes to the status of highly privileged, whether he liked it or not. When combined with favourable umpiring towards him, and other stars, the booing was always going to reach fever pitch. People are sheep in these types of situations. Australians, throughout our cultural history, have loved being rebellious sheep towards any kind of higher authority and higher privilege.

The racism angle was always a minor part of it, but its influence has been exaggerated, as it suits people’s perception of the world surrounding them. It suits some people to push anecdotal examples and then argue that it is a part of a wider trend, even if they cannot hope to ever prove it.

The reality is, anecdotal examples are exactly what they are, anecdotal, not systemic. Australia has not magically become more racist than it was in the 1950’s, the notion is nonsensical.

I’d hope we’re far less racist then we were in the 50’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d hope we’re far less racist then we were in the 50’s
Reading this site, you would think that the world is as bad as McCarthy America. Somewhat ironically, the modern world isn’t as bad as some make it out to be. We are living in one of the most tolerant societies that has ever existed.

I agree the booing was not all racial and I said that at the time. As you said alot of morons just jumped on the bandwagon after being told not to.

I do however think that there were underlying racial undertones that got the booing started and helped it gain momentum. Talkback radio was full of people saying he should shut up and basically get back in his box like a good little blackfella. Telling him after he was racially abused that stick and stones, etc and just let it go. Does this make people racist, not necessarily but it does make the issue to do with race and people's lack of tolerance and understanding of it.

As for you last paragragraph, no, Australia hasn't become more racist since the 50s and no one says it has. We've all progressed and we've become better at calling racism out when we see it too.

Last edited:
Reading this site, you would think that the world is as bad as McCarthy America. Somewhat ironically, the modern world isn’t as bad as some make it out to be. We are living in one of the most tolerant societies that has ever existed.

Outrage politics has reduced everything to stupidity.

Blame the humanities depts. They got this snowball of crap rolling.

I have hope for us as a species when I read logical thoughts from Kangaroos4eva Devington and Snake_Baker

There is good in this world. It's just harder to find. And those that are good hide in the shadows out of fear that radicals like ferball will say that words can be dealt with violence just like any ANTIFA member would suggest.

We will not submit to dehumanisation! We are being conditioned on a mass scale. We need to stand up for something pure and something right! The truth is out there but we are being fed a buffet of lies!

True. Doesn’t mean we can’t be better
Very true.

I agree the booing was not all racial and I said that at the time. As you said alot of morons just jumped on the bandwagon after being told not to.

I do however think that there were underlying racial undertones that got the booing started and helped it gain momentum. Talkback radio was full of people saying he should shut up and basically get back in his box like a good little blackfella. Telling him after he was racially abused that stick and stones, etc and just let it go. Does this make people racist, not necessarily but it does make the issue to do with race and people's lack of tolerance and understanding of it.

As for you last paragragraph, no, Australia hasn't become more racist since the 50s and no one says it has. We've all progressed and we've become better at calling racism out when we see it too.
Fair enough, I just don’t take much stock in anecdotal evidence; it narrows your perspective of the world too much.

Not just calling it out, but much more; where our entire education, societal, legislative and, to a lesser degree via affirmative employment policies, economic systems have been fundamentally changed to ensure a tolerant system.

The worry is when we go too far and, thus, being subject to an Orwellian-esqe future to make up for historical and perceived injustices based on old tribal identities.

Last edited:
Hahaha. Groin guru do your thing with those goofy clips you do.
Resistance is not futile! We are going to win this thing. Human-kind is too good. We're not a bunch of underachievers.

We're going to stand up and be human beings! WE'RE GOING TO GET FIRED UP ABOUT THE REAL THINGS. WITH THINGS THAT MATTER, LIKE CREATIVITY AND THE DYNAMIC HUMAN SPIRIT THAT REFUSES TO SUBMIT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back