Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Resistance is not futile! We are going to win this thing. Human-kind is too good. We're not a bunch of underachievers.

We're going to stand up and be human beings! WE'RE GOING TO GET FIRED UP ABOUT THE REAL THINGS. WITH THINGS THAT MATTER, LIKE CREATIVITY AND THE DYNAMIC HUMAN SPIRIT THAT REFUSES TO SUBMIT!

1395D1B1-BFF8-427B-B6BB-3D9B4E4EA6E3.gif

250 years ago the aboriginal peoples were conquered by a superior technology.

Assigning contemporary guilt to this is just absurd. What about those poor Carthaginians in 146 B.C.? My "white guilt" bleeds for them.

Weren't conquered. That requires legal processes etc etc that never happened. IE a declaration of war and a formal surrender otherwise the state of war between indigenous Australians and the British crown Australian state still exists.

As for the Phonecians/Carthaginians, well they were with Royal Flush when he got on the red cellophane gear with his western suburbs mates. They are Lebanese and carthage was one of their cities, not multiple different peoples with seperate legal systems and systems of property law.

Maybe you should compare them to the Irish - that is a much more accurate comparison.

That eel outdoes the spider.
That’s not ******* right.

Then again that spiders span isn’t ******* right.

My daughter has just come up to me before we leave for the school bus and said "Mummy's tarantula wants a pat."

Its name is Sparkle Fangs!!!:eek:

We have about a dozen varieties of Australian tarantula's atm but its a bit of a complex situation wrt classification etc etc. They aren't as big as the big S American ones, although obne night I saw one nearly a foot long in the gully below the house.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My daughter has just come up to me before we leave for the school bus and said "Mummy's tarantula wants a pat."

Its name is Sparkle Fangs!!!:eek:

We have about a dozen varieties of Australian tarantula's atm but its a bit of a complex situation wrt classification etc etc. They aren't as big as the big S American ones, although obne night I saw one nearly a foot long in the gully below the house.
House on the market now?

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While we’re on the topic, Carthage produced maybe the best and most badass general of all time. Hannibal Barca. He nearly destroyed Rome when it was at its peak. Look up the battle of Cannae to see his devastating genius.

One night there was a spider in the house (allegedly) I was asleep on the couch. She reckons she had to knock it off the shower in to a bucket and it went "Thunk" when it landed in there. Was so big it's legs were spanning the bucket. I never saw it - slept thru the whole thing. Lucky she didn't leave it on my chest for when I woke up.

I don't mind the ones in enclosures. Its the big grey ones that crawl round the house that are freaky. Leg spans as big as plates.

While we’re on the topic, Carthage produced maybe the best and most badass general of all time. Hannibal Barca. He nearly destroyed Rome when it was at its peak. Look up the battle of Cannae to see his devastating genius.

He was a legendary general. That battle was pretty famous. And a big reason the Roman's went so hard at Carthage. He scared them. They chucked everything they had at him at Cannae iirc.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He was a legendary general. That battle was pretty famous. And a big reason the Roman's went so hard at Carthage. He scared them. They chucked everything they had at him at Cannae iirc.

That battle scarred Rome. Cato would say after every time he addressed the senate, Carthage must be destroyed, no matter the topic.

At Cannae Hannibal was outnumbered by a huge Roman army. Hannibal then decided to put his weakest fighters in the middle of the line and his best warriors on the flanks, though Hannibal himself stayed in the middle. He fought in the middle but instructed his men to slowly concede ground, the romans then pushed forward at this seemingly weak spot, allowing themselves to funnel into the middle. That allowed Hannibal’s army to eventually completely circle the Romans and over a very long period of time push forward killing every man.

Could you imagine being squashed in the middle of the Roman army waiting to be killed? Terrifying. Some of them went insane, trying to bury their heads in the dirt to suffocate themselves.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Weren't conquered. That requires legal processes etc etc that never happened. IE a declaration of war and a formal surrender otherwise the state of war between indigenous Australians and the British crown Australian state still exists.

You can argue the fine print all you like. The only reason there was no declaration of war is due to the fact that the aboriginal tribes were not in anyway organised and woefully disadvantaged from a technological & strategic aspect to ever raise a threat to Britain. The fact is the aboriginals were culturally overwhelmed anyway, to the point where their culture as it existed then is barely in existence any longer. The saving grace was the level of British civility in comparison to other colonial powers from that time. They took the view that it would not have been sporting to initiate organised aggression and subjugation of a people that they saw as primitive.

As for the Phonecians/Carthaginians, well they were with Royal Flush when he got on the red cellophane gear with his western suburbs mates. They are Lebanese and carthage was one of their cities, not multiple different peoples with seperate legal systems and systems of property law.

Maybe you should compare them to the Irish - that is a much more accurate comparison.

You missed the point again. This is becoming a regular occurrence.

It’s worth noting that the ancient writers did often exaggerate fielded numbers and losses on the field, even with Cannae.

Some people bemoan Hannibal for not attacking Rome, but he didn’t have the military strength for a prolonged siege. Scipio smacked the Carthagians in Spain and then again at Zama.

Strategically, it was a huge gamble to launch the war. The Romans had a lot of loyal allies in Italy, with the exception of the Italian Gauls/Celts. Plus, the Carthaginian military was smaller and less cohesive than the Roman military, the former being heavily reliant on Numidians and Merc’s.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s worth noting that the ancient writers did often exaggerate fielded numbers and losses on the field, even with Cannae.

Some people bemoan Hannibal for not attacking Rome, but he didn’t have the military strength for a prolonged siege. Scipio smacked the Carthagians in Spain and then again at Zama.

Strategically, it was a huge gamble to launch the war. The Romans had a lot of loyal allies in Italy, with the exception of the Italian Gauls/Celts. Plus, the Carthaginian military was smaller and less cohesive than the Roman military, the former being heavily reliant on Numidians and Merc’s.

Even if you dock Hannibal the standard for exaggerating numbers he was still a brilliant General. Scipio Africanus was brilliant too.

My favourite Roman general is Gaius Marius. Though he probably had as much to do with the fall of the republic as Caesar.

Even if you dock Hannibal the standard for exaggerating numbers he was still a brilliant General. Scipio Africanus was brilliant too.

My favourite Roman general is Gaius Marius. Though he probably had as much to do with the fall of the republic as Caesar.
Marius’ military reforms set the standard for Roman legionaries and made its army the world standard for near 300 years.

Dec 7, 2011
Wentz Wagon
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No one is stopping you from criticising him. Or booing. If the AFL actually ban it (on the back of booing the white jesus freak with the head like the guy in the anal garden gnome ad not Goodes btw) it'll be harder to enforce than banning the word flog.

It's interesting to me that you don't mind vilifying someone on the basis of their religion, but are (rightly) against vilifying someone on the basis of their skin colour. Can we agree that neither is appropriate?

You can argue the fine print all you like. The only reason there was no declaration of war is due to the fact that the aboriginal tribes were not in anyway organised and woefully disadvantaged from a technological & strategic aspect to ever raise a threat to Britain. The fact is the aboriginals were culturally overwhelmed anyway, to the point where their culture as it existed then is barely in existence any longer. The saving grace was the level of British civility in comparison to other colonial powers from that time. They took the view that it would not have been sporting to initiate organised aggression and subjugation of a people that they saw as primitive.

You missed the point again. This is becoming a regular occurrence.

The more you type about this its clear the less you actually know. Pretty much everything you just typed is incorrect.

There are even letters from the British crown demanding the recognition of indigenous legal rights that were ignored by NSW and other Colonial Governers at the time. Over 150 years old.

It's interesting to me that you don't mind vilifying someone on the basis of their religion, but are (rightly) against vilifying someone on the basis of their skin colour. Can we agree that neither is appropriate?

Is calling someone a jesus freak villifying them?

Dec 7, 2011
Wentz Wagon
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is calling someone a jesus freak villifying them?

You answered your own question in the post below, but yes it is. Calling someone a "Mohammed freak" would be considered vilification, so logically I don't see why calling someone a "Jesus freak" wouldn't be.

Your next post doesn't sit well with me either. Justifying vilification on the basis that someone 'deserved it' is a troubling precedent to set, especially because what constitutes 'deserving it' is entirely subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back