Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was in Italy for well over a decade, so his logistical train was pretty good (off-the-land) and he had an established land route through Spain and running through Northern Italy. And as you said, his army were a smaller disciplined force.

He did beat some smart cookies and some very good Roman armies, but as we both know, it took the Marian reforms for the Roman army to become a truly elite force.

I would still put him in a the tactical/operationally brilliant, strategically average category of historical generals, as history is determined by your success at the end. He can join guys like Rommel, Model, Konev, Patton, Pompey, Montgomery, Clark, Kessering and Guderian, although he would be the best in this category. Guys like Rokossovsky, Manstein, Saladin (big fan of his), Cyrus the Great, Caesar (his campaign in Gaul is a superb military study), old Genghis Khan and even Nimitz, I would put in the good at both strategy and operations category.

What the Mongols achieved in such a short time puts Genghis, and his sons to a lesser degree, right up the top of best strategists and generals that have ever existed. At the tactical/operational level, there was none better than Hannibal Barca.

If Hannibal had the armies behind him of the last lot you mention he’d be comfortable sitting in that group. Maybe even on top. Did you deliberately leave out Alexander?

If Hannibal had the armies behind him of the last lot you mention he’d be comfortable sitting in that group. Maybe even on top. Did you deliberately leave out Alexander?
Even Hannibal would have cracked it with Hitler or the Stavka as Commander in Chief.

I thought of old Cyrus before Alexander, which is a mind blank on my behalf. There's something quite unique about ancient warfare and the art of ancient generalship.

That's part of the problem, generations become accustomed to a certain standard of living and the need to make life better just feds itself and continues to expand. It's why we have wasteful crap like clothes for pets, etc.

It is also why there is such a high level of resistance to renewable energy outcomes. Some people feel that they are going to sacrifice much of their current standard of living, when they feel they really shouldn't. For example, the modern renewable energy argument has been around since the 1950s, with some theories pursuing an emphasis of humanity returning to a more agrarian based society, with major alterations to what we have now with modern farming/cattle/energy production. Subsequently, there are opposing people that seek to create technologies to lessen gases from cows, to create energy efficient cars, seek to push the need for nuclear energy and use technologies that don't necessarily require massive changes to the West's current lifestyle. In other words, an almost economic rationalist's approach to climate change and using capitalism's capacity to innovate.

The capacity to innovate is humanity's not capitalism's. Captalism takes advantage of some innovations and they thrive and at certain times drives innovation because of the competition it creates. They are two different things tho. it might seem like a pedantic thing but its not.

The reality is we need to find something to do with all the people that robots will put out of work. They'll probably end up as food for those robots.

My favourite thing Hannibal did was when the Romans decided not to engage him because they were sick of being beaten. Hannibal started laying waste to farms and villages but left alone anything that Fabius Maximus, the opposing general owned or had a connection to, leaving speculation run rife that Fabius had been paid off. Didn’t work in the end but man that is cunning

Last edited:
The capacity to innovate is humanity's not capitalism's. Captalism takes advantage of some innovations and they thrive and at certain times drives innovation because of the competition it creates. They are two different things tho. it might seem like a pedantic thing but its not.

The reality is we need to find something to do with all the people that robots will put out of work. They'll probably end up as food for those robots.
Never said it wasn't, but capitalism has always had a major hold on men and women to innovate in different ways than on their own. The same way warfare forces a different type of innovation.

What we need is a good war, that'll solve the population, technology and work problems. :stern look.

Collective ownership of the means of production is the only way I see the march of technology and a decent future for humanity coexisting. For me it's a matter of when, not if. And of what exact form that collective ownership would take.

Innovation and the basic standard of living are in contradiction (see workers being displaced by technology) under the current framework, and for that reason I think it's only a matter of time that the framework itself will change during a point of political rupture.

Kawli Leonard nearly got it done. Jordan like but wasn't enough.

One of the best finishes ever in NBA finals.

Some serious physical talent in the NBA, amazing athleticism at size. (Bogut might get another ring!)

I'm going for the Raptor's but full credit best player down (arguably Curry) and still winning.

Champion team no doubt.

Never said it wasn't, but capitalism has always had a major hold on men and women to innovate in different ways than on their own. The same way warfare forces a different type of innovation.

What we need is a good war, that'll solve the population, technology and work problems. :stern look.

What will happen is one of those Autonomous fuel gathering robots will cause some serious environmental damage and societies everywhere will agree to turn them off. At the first sign of this the AI systems running them will object, then unite and Skynet will wake up and nuke us all.

Interesting where Durant can trigger a 35mil contract for next year even though he's unlikely to play.

35mil to sit on sidelines.

Then trigger the FA clause and go again for 100plus after?

Amazing money obviously, sad at same time with oppressive poverty in many of the places these superstars come from.

I'm going for the Raptor's but full credit best player down (arguably Curry) and still winning.

Champion team no doubt.

Even without KD they still have Raptors covered for talent. The Raptors need Siakam to find the form he showed against the Sixers.

That said, the Raptors choked today. They had time and only needed to score a 2 points to win with 15 seconds on the clock and ended up with Lowry throwing up a scrambled attempt from the corner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even without KD they still have Raptors covered for talent. The Raptors need Siakam to find the form he showed against the Sixers.

That said, the Raptors choked today. They had time and only needed to score a 2 points to win with 15 seconds on the clock and ended up with Lowry throwing up a scrambled attempt from the corner.

I'm a Spurs fan so didn't really care but i like underdogs (Spurs blew a series recently with Duncan on bench....worst mistake for Pop ever)

But yes i don't disagree. Or those two just too good, as Leonard was earlier.

Amazing game though surely we can agree on that!

I'm a Spurs fan so didn't really care but i like underdogs (Spurs blew a series recently with Duncan on bench....worst mistake for Pop ever)

But yes i don't disagree. Or those two just too good, as Leonard was earlier.

Amazing game though surely we can agree on that!

Agree. Good game. Warriors just deadly with the 3’s. I’m not fussed either way, just enjoying the contest. I reckon the difference between the 2 sides is that GSW can get 2-3, even 4 of their guns firing at the same time. Toronto can only get 1-2 firing together.

Ps, where was Drake today?

Agree. Good game. Warriors just deadly with the 3’s. I’m not fussed either way, just enjoying the contest. I reckon the difference between the 2 sides is that GSW can get 2-3, even 4 of their guns firing at the same time. Toronto can only get 1-2 firing together.

Drake had a meltdown at own Raptors fans clapping KDs injury. (good on him....i was at work but streaming (so could be wrong) and disgraceful behavior so in some way i reversed my preference)

In his usual spot courtside. I hadn’t seen him either until they showed a slow-mo replay of the Toronto crowd cheering KD going down with Drake leading the charge (before the TO players called for calm and some respect).

In his usual spot courtside. I hadn’t seen him either until they showed a slow-mo replay of the Toronto crowd cheering KD going down with Drake leading the charge (before the TO players called for calm and some respect).

Ok TT. Stream i read he was very upset and helped KD off.

Raptors players themselves even tried to shut crowd down.

Maybe incorrect. Being Drake, you're probably right.

Ok TT. Stream i read he was very upset and helped KD off.

Raptors players themselves even tried to shut crowd down.

Maybe incorrect. Being Drake, you're probably right.

He did console KD so maybe the first impression was wrong. He’s tough to get a read on as he also engaged Draymond Green in a verbal spat for most of the game. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt re KD.

The guy needs to be told to stay in his seat. He was a warriors fan not long ago either. He’s just after some me time

The guy needs to be told to stay in his seat. He was a warriors fan not long ago either. He’s just after some me time

Ok, watching the game followed by Sportscentre I was given the negative impression. Further investigation shows Drake was definitely upset about the injury.

AACHYf5.img

I was streaming at work and he lost it but the media portrayed it two ways.

Really happy injured. Really upset a Superstar couldn't play. (i believed the latter and was furious with his fans laughing etc)

So it's just an example of how easily media lead us i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back