Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
ABC NEWS:

A young man in India has pushed his brand-new BMW into a river in an apparent protest against his parents' refusal to buy him a Jaguar for his birthday.

What a disgrace. All that is wrong with the world. In a country where people beg for food on the streets to feed their children.

All bought for with peasant labor i'd wager.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We had this conversation a while back, after Neval was on JRE. The people writing the algorithms are the most powerful people in the world at the moment and the government will want that power.
What's that got to do with some good old fashioned investigative journalism?

Of course, governments want the power. No one in their right mind would want that. No one in their right mind would want a big tech company having the monopoly either. Especially not one/s that can influence elections etc. If a company like google is acting in bad faith and there is proof that they are meddling = a big issue.

I know the majority don't care because it seems like the lay population either: 1) has no clue 2) doesn't care 3) "why do I care about my privacy...I've got nothing to hide". But some care about the power these companies have.

I'm glad the pressure was put on Libra's demonic stable coin and I hope the torch is put on google too. I'd much rather push for alternatives like 'Brave' browser and 'duckduckgo'

ABC NEWS:

A young man in India has pushed his brand-new BMW into a river in an apparent protest against his parent's refusal to buy him a Jaguar for his birthday.

What a disgrace. All that is wrong with the world. In a country where people beg for food on the streets to feed their children.

India is ****ed up.

Always has been tho. The caste system is one of the worst things in human history. Even tho it might have made sense once. (It probably started as a positive eugenics program.)

We had this conversation a while back, after Neval was on JRE. The people writing the algorithms are the most powerful people in the world at the moment and the government will want that power.

Groin guru

The real issue now is the algos that are writing algos and whether the people in charge are in control of that.

In many respects the likes of Google are the Standard Oil of the age - they seemed like More Powerful Than Government and governments kowtowed to them, until one came along that took them on and won.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Of course, governments want the power. No one in their right mind would want that. No one in their right mind would want a big tech company having the monopoly either. Especially not one/s that can influence elections etc. If a company like google is acting in bad faith and there is proof that they are meddling = a big issue.

I know the majority don't care because it seems like the lay population either: 1) has no clue 2) doesn't care 3) "why do I care about my privacy...I've got nothing to hide". But some care about the power these companies have.

I'm glad the pressure was put on Libra's demonic stable coin and I hope the torch is put on google too. I'd much rather push for alternatives like 'Brave' browser and 'duckduckgo'

All information collection is centered upon improving ways to manipulate you.

Only a fool goes along with it.

India is f’ed up.

Always has been tho. The caste system is one of the worst things in human history. Even tho it might have made sense once. (It probably started as a positive eugenics program.)

The caste system as we know it was a creation of British imperialism - the ultimate expression of divide and conquer.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Groin guru

The real issue now is the algos that are writing algos and whether the people in charge are in control of that.

In many respects the likes of Google are the Standard Oil of the age - they seemed like More Powerful Than Government and governments kowtowed to them, until one came along that took them on and won.
We will be allies in the future!

ScarceFirsthandAmericancurl-small.gif

Not sure if the below link will work, but just thought I’d share this video that we had to watch at work as part of compulsory “Workplace Behaviour” training:

If it doesn’t work and your interested, just search for “sex tea analogy”.

We were in hysterics.

While it doesn't apply to workplaces being woken with a "cup of tea" is a great way to start the day...

The caste system as we know it was a creation of British imperialism - the ultimate expression of divide and conquer.

As "we" know it?

I come from a several thousand year long line of Hindu priests and it was around long before Britain or British imperialism.

As "we" know it?

I come from a several thousand year long line of Hindu priests and it was around long before Britain or British imperialism.

Oh definitely it was around, but the Brits took it and changed it and manipulated it as a form of control.

Kind of like how they invented what we think of as "Scottishness" at about the same time to cement their colonial control there.

As "we" know it?

Shashi Tharoor: "We had castes, we did not have the caste system."

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I was just jumping ahead to the next step. I’m actually surprised that it’s a story. I thought they were pretty open about writing algorithms. It’s not like we don’t know they do it. s**t, people pay money to get their stuff on the first page of a search.

Spose it depends on which government and what the government does with it. A bit like how China is paying google to create their search engine.

On one hand, at least we vote a government in and therefor have more trust in them over a tech company, but if the government is controlling the algorithms they can manipulate elections.

Looking at how similar Facebook algorithms have been used in places like Mayanmar to devastating effect by government forces (where Facebook pretty much was the internet) not sure I’m comfortable with that either.

Given America’s history of ******* with everyone’s democracy I don’t trust them with it at all.

Oh definitely it was around, but the Brits took it and changed it and manipulated it as a form of control.

Kind of like how they invented what we think of as "Scottishness" at about the same time to cement their colonial control there.

It was already a form of social control. The Poms changed it a bit to make administration easier. But they weren't the first colonialist group to use it to enhance social control.

It was never originally a ... genealogical thing. It was more a form of social organisation that people gravitated toward rather than something they were born into. But throughout the different empires in that part of the world different rulers used it to their advantage in terms of social control. Especially the poms and the Moghuls before them. Its a very complicated thing but it went a bit pear shaped over the last 500 years.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looking at how similar Facebook algorithms have been used in places like Mayanmar to devastating effect by government forces (where Facebook pretty much was the internet) not sure I’m comfortable with that either.

Given America’s history of ******* with everyone’s democracy I don’t trust them with it at all.
It's not like they are going to confiscate google's algorithms and just take over the company. I'd say it'd come down to fines/tightening some of the freedom they have if they continue down the path they're on. Google have had the run of the mill. Could be something along the lines of the free speech order Trump signed for US colleges. Play ball and be fair or there will be consequences. It's not an unreasonable demand.

You can't have high ranking google staff running around saying they won't let 2016 happen again and that they'll do everything in their power not to etc. Shouldn't be able to do that in any country. People would complain if Trump was doing it in reverse. We all complain when other countries do it. It's bad enough we have to deal with one-sided media in various countries let along big tech throwing their big hat in the ring.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's not like they are going to confiscate google's algorithms and just take over the company. I'd say it'd come down to fines/tightening some of the freedom they have if they continue down the path they're on. Google have had the run of the mill. Could be something along the lines of the free speech order Trump signed for US colleges. Play ball and be fair or there will be consequences. It's not an unreasonable demand.

You can't have high ranking google staff running around saying they won't let 2016 happen again and that they'll do everything in their power not to etc. Shouldn't be able to do that in any country. People would complain if Trump was doing it in reverse. We all complain when other countries do it. It's bad enough we have to deal with one-sided media in various countries let along big tech throwing their big hat in the ring.

I went full Alex Jones there

In today's society that's the best thing to do!

It's the only way you can stay ahead of the game!

If being a gatekeeping shill for your entire career is the best thing to do in today's society then I agree.

Go full Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back