Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can give political relevance to a pile of cow dung if you engineer enough fear to get the morons on side. Look no further than the recently released IPCC document. Irrelevant, useless people who are purely in the business of manufacturing relevance (i.e. self interest).

Ethics is a fundamental cornerstone of classical science training. Politics is simply not required, nor would it be given much attention. Attempts to control crispr would be as successful as attempts to control drugs.

It's fairly simple stuff. You can purchase start up kits and experiment in your own home. Go for it.

Who knows, you might stumble across something special.

I thought you were taking the piss. Nope. http://www.the-odin.com/diy-crispr-kit/

You can give political relevance to a pile of cow dung if you engineer enough fear to get the morons on side. Look no further than the recently released IPCC document. Irrelevant, useless people who are purely in the business of manufacturing relevance (i.e. self interest).

"Most of modern science, and by extension the technologies it creates, has been shaped by a very narrow and privileged worldview. The scientific enterprise has been dominated by men – even today women make up only 28.8% of researchers worldwide as of last June. It has been exclusionary to people of colour – a Nobel prize has yet to be awarded to a black scientist. And it rarely includes people with disabilities or the very people scientists are attempting to “treat”. If our ultimate goal is for Crispr to equitably serve society, then we need to make sure those who steer its development realistically represent society. Scientists who come from historically marginalised backgrounds can introduce much-needed critical perspectives."

Activist bullshit.

Ethics is a fundamental cornerstone of classical science training. Politics is simply not required, nor would it be given much attention. Attempts to control crispr would be as successful as attempts to control drugs.

Agree on all.

And what defines "ethics" ... politics.

Agree on all.

And what defines "ethics" ... politics.

You're waffling on about stuff that you have no clue about again.

It's overseen and administered by science & medical practitioners, then rubber stamped with government funding.

Why? Because politicians wouldn't have a clue about the workings of this stuff. They do as they are told.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I’m listening to Richard Dawkins on JRE at the moment. Brilliant. I was surprised to hear that he’s had 30 million copies of
“Outgrowing god : A beginners guide” downloaded into Arabic

Yep, the cities in many Muslim countries are far less religiously orthodox than the countryside.

We see it time again - in Aleppo the "freedom fighters" were country bumpkin jihadists who came INTO the city to attack the wealthy, cosmopolitan inhabitants.

Erdogan draws his support from the rural religious areas, has lost the cities.

Your waffling on about stuff that you have no clue about again.

It's overseen and administered by science & medical practitioners, then rubber stamped with government funding.

Why? Because politicians wouldn't have a clue about the workings of this stuff. They do as they are told.

I understand all that.

But governments can and do regularly restrict what scientists can research.

Who tells them to do this stuff?

Voters.

Go and try doing some research on the effects of MDMA on PTSD victims.

Do that research in Australia mate.

Then come and tell me I have no idea what I'm "waffling" about when I say science is subservient to politics.

Some one pretty close to me has really aggressive MS, this sort of thing gives me hope they’ll be able to fix it one day.

It's only a matter of time, and the more brain power we throw at it, the quicker that date will arrive.

MS is somewhat controversial, as are most of what are classed as "hypersensitivities", as there's school of thought that support an environmental cause.

Yep, the cities in many Muslim countries are far less religiously orthodox than the countryside.

We see it time again - in Aleppo the "freedom fighters" were country bumpkin jihadists who came INTO the city to attack the wealthy, cosmopolitan inhabitants.

It’d be a pretty dangerous thing to be caught with in some areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trump is restricting research on fetal tissue.

But oh no, I'm "waffling" when I say that politics controls science.

Go and try doing some research on the effects of MDMA on PTSD victims.

Do that research in Australia mate.

See what I mean about professional idiots getting in the way?

And the only way to change it is to recognise the problem, and use politics to effect the change.

You do the science and PROVE that MDMA can help people with PTSD.

But unfortunately that isn't enough.

You need to engage with the political process to drive the change.

Fundamentally not LOL.

True.

Take the US states like Colorado where ... to use the good example we've landed on of "illegal drugs" being used in research ... it is VOTERS who are driving the political change to overturn this bullshit.

And the only way to change it is to recognise the problem, and use politics to effect the change.

You do the science and PROVE that MDMA can help people with PTSD.

But unfortunately that isn't enough.

You need to engage with the political process to drive the change.

Yeah?

..........and how successful have these "politics" been in stalling human use of MDMA?:D

The research is still conducted in saner parts of the world, and science is international.

Fundamentally not LOL.

True.

Take the US states like Colorado where ... to use the good example we've landed on of "illegal drugs" being used in research ... it is VOTERS who are driving the political change to overturn this bullshit.

Oh yeah, people have only just started using cannabis since the politicians gave it their blessing.:D

You aggrandize this crap to monumental levels.

I saw this play out in Iran. Tehran is a sophisticated city and the occupants are generally quite moderate. When the mullahs want to show anti-West demonstrations, they bus in crowds from rural areas and feed / pay them to chant and shake their fists in the street. I saw a line of buses parked about a km away from such a gathering (in Val-i-Asr St, for those who know it).

When Ahmadinejad was up for re-election (around 2011, from memory), he realised early that he had no chance of winning the Tehran vote, so spent his whole time campaigning in rural areas. Didn't even pretend to show a presence in Tehran. It's quite eye-opening to go out to the rural areas - the vast majority women voluntarily wear the full body chador (even face covered) in most instances, whilst in Tehran, many of the younger women push the boundaries and have hair out and shorter chadors. Occasionally they are taken away by the religious police for doing so (my understanding is that they're usually sent home a few hours later, unless a statement is being made).

Yeah?

..........and how successful have these "politics" been in stalling human use of MDMA?:D

The research is still conducted in saner parts of the world, and science is international.

Agree the first bit.

The second bolded though, well, why can't we conduct the research here too?

Politics. And saying rthe science is international is a bit of a cop out if its illegal here because of bullshit politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back