Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second bolded though, well, why can't we conduct the research here too?

1) You can
2) Legally? Because we are a nation of idiots ruled by idiots.

Oh yeah, people have only just started using cannabis since the politicians gave it their blessing.:D

You aggrandize this crap to monumental levels.

Because this is how we get to the point where politics gets out of the way of research.

Which is what you and I both agree should happen.

You bring about the change via politics, and the way to do that is via the voters.

I saw this play out in Iran. Tehran is a sophisticated city and the occupants are generally quite moderate. When the mullahs want to show anti-West demonstrations, they bus in crowds from rural areas and feed / pay them to chant and shake their fists in the street. I saw a line of buses parked about a km away from such a gathering (in Val-i-Asr St, for those who know it).

When Ahmadinejad was up for re-election (around 2011, from memory), he realised early that he had no chance of winning the Tehran vote, so spent his whole time campaigning in rural areas. Didn't even pretend to show a presence in Tehran. It's quite eye-opening to go out to the rural areas - the vast majority women voluntarily wear the full body chador (even face covered) in most instances, whilst in Tehran, many of the younger women push the boundaries and have hair out and shorter chadors. Occasionally they are taken away by the religious police for doing so (my understanding is that they're usually sent home a few hours later, unless a statement is being made).

Yep, perfect example.

From what I understand North Tehran is as hipster and funky as any Western city.

1) You can
2) Legally? Because we are a nation of idiots ruled by idiots.

Oh I agree, it sucks.

But we're also the nation that achieved some of the great scientific advances of human endeavour, most of them coming out of the government funded and run CSIRO.

How do we change from the current shitful situation?

Yep, perfect example.

From what I understand North Tehran is as hipster and funky as any Western city.

North Tehran is certainly the 'affluent' area and has a cool vibe in general, but it's only hipster and funky relative to the rest of the city / country. Not really in the Western sense, though.

Surely the person driving won't be getting out of that car alive.

Haven't seen any reports of security forces deaths, and they would be armed in there, so probably they were fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. It's fairly simple when utilising simple organisms, but do be careful, read up on what you're doing and familiarize yourself with sterilization procedures and aseptic technique.
You're weird dude.

Oh I agree, it sucks.

But we're also the nation that achieved some of the great scientific advances of human endeavour, most of them coming out of the government funded and run CSIRO.

Carrying out there work whilst politicians concerned themselves with charades.

How do we change from the current shitful situation?

Probably nothing short of a revolution.

People are too distracted with every day crap to mobilise.

It's the curse of being relatively rich. It's keeps a nation placid and pliable.

However, science knows no borders and tens of thousands of research applications fly around the world every year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back