Status
Not open for further replies.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They aren't contradictory statements.

Which is an indictment on how much the top 1% of 1% (about 3/4 of a million people) have.

Sorry I'll be more descriptive. The report shows that you need about $820k USD to be in the top 1 per cent worldwide. That report doesn't even consider the household debt of most either if I recall correctly.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
Pyro terrorism or the easy defence against warming?

Last edited:
Sorry I'll be more descriptive. The report shows that you need about $820k USD to be in the top 1 per cent worldwide. That report doesn't even consider the household debt of most either if I recall correctly.

That's shitloads more than I thought.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know he earned it but Bernie has a point. It’s not a Left V Right thing, it’s the mega rich 1% v the rest.

Too bad Bernie contradicts himself by being in the 1% having more than 1 home and having a large book deal with one of the biggest publishers on the planet. Capitalism huh :drunk:

He's just as bad as the rest. Bill Gates is one of the last people he should be highlighting.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Too bad Bernie contradicts himself by being in the 1% having more than 1 home and having a large book deal with one of the biggest publishers on the planet. Capitalism huh :drunk:

He's just as bad as the rest. Bill Gates is one of the last people he should be highlighting.

You’re underestimating the wealth of the 1%

Edit: even if Bernie were in the 1% it makes his ambition even more genuine as he’d be going against self interest

Bernie should pay his 100 billion in tax too hey.

FFS.

None of these people want to end capitalism, just control it and direct toward ordinary people's benefits. You're spouting the same agenda of the people who do the things you whinge about on twitter. You should change your user name to groin useful idiot.

Interested in thoughts on the Federal Government's farmers drought bail out. Can't recall any bail outs for the local car and textile manufacturing industries, nor the countless jobs lost due to automation. Any bail outs for the taxi industry or those also disrupted be new technology? The irony of the rural and regional sector bleating about the worst drought on record is that their electorates prop up the Coalition that is dominated by climate change deniers. I'm sorry, but would prefer our taxes spent more wisely.

Yep, no bail outs for Video Ezy when everyone got Foxtel and Netflix. In a number of cases these bail outs will prop up unsustainable farms (too small, wrong commodities produced etc.) There's a lot of farms that manage risk well and can get through droughts but farmers are like Bambi's mum and are good at blaming anything else for their woes and the public lap it up. In a number of cases other farmers are to blame (eg. in the Murray Darling) but they won't have a go at each other.
Plus they have so many tax dodges they never pay it back when they have good years. Anyway good luck to them, it's easy to lobby your mate the state or federal MP when you have a fair bit of time to kill staying at your holiday house on the coast.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bernie should pay his 100 billion in tax too hey.

FFS.

None of these people want to end capitalism, just control it and direct toward ordinary people's benefits. You're spouting the same agenda of the people who do the things you whinge about on twitter. You should change your user name to groin useful idiot.
Don't blame me because Bernie is a hypocrite. I'm not the one whining and then accepting several 100k cheques from a publisher. I'm not the one complaining about capitalism and then owning multiple homes. I'm not the one that complains and then donates less than Trump (% income). Bernie is no different from any other politician except people paint him as some savior.

Even worse - He was a lazy bum that didn't work 9-5 until he was 40. He wouldn't know the meaning of a hard day's work. Voice of the people...lol.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interested in thoughts on the Federal Government's farmers drought bail out. Can't recall any bail outs for the local car and textile manufacturing industries, nor the countless jobs lost due to automation. Any bail outs for the taxi industry or those also disrupted be new technology? The irony of the rural and regional sector bleating about the worst drought on record is that their electorates prop up the Coalition that is dominated by climate change deniers. I'm sorry, but would prefer our taxes spent more wisely.

Agreed. We can't keep propping up failing businesses and industries - but the sentimental value of rural workers throws rational thought out the window.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
This is what happens when politics attempts to becomes the organ grinder for science:

Incredible view of the Mid North Coast inferno from above!

FB_IMG_1573284936194.jpg

Got a bit of the thunbergs about him.

He's as big a twat as everything he whines about. If he's upset about s**t coffee get good coffee somewhere else. *en whingers ... and he reckons the people he whinges about have nothing to whinge about. Whinging about them is surely beyond redundant.

Why doesn't he take his own *en mug to the coffee shop instead of wasting precious resources like a profligate campaigner with a stupid tie.

All dictators fall eventually.

Well said Hoj.

And elsewhere in the world, waking up this morning to see that 7 Hong Kong pro-democracy lawmakers have now been detained, and just a day after the death of a student protester there, got me to thinking about how much stubborn digging in of heels by those abusing power is happening in our world right now. Is it more than usual? I wondered. I don't know. And then this story came up:

https://www.newsweek.com/germany-berlin-wall-donald-trump-1470778

And not that I'd call Trump a dictator - he's just a power-wielding buffoon. But still, he's a conduit for the spread of fear and hate. And symptomatic of the state of heels-dug-in not letting go of my power until they drag it from my cold dead hands state of the world in too many places. Which just feels like it's ramping up a bit more than usual lately. I dunno, I could be imagining it. But seeing the developments in Hong Kong this morning got me to thinking about it again.

Anyways, here's the Berlin Wall letter to Trump:

Nov. 9, 2019

Dear President Trump:

This is an original piece of the Berlin Wall. For 28 years, it separated east and west, families, and friends.

It divided not only Berlin and Germany, but the whole world. Too many people died trying to cross it - their only crime being their desire to be free. Today, the world celebrates the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Germany is united again and in Berlin only a few scattered pieces remind us that no wall lasts forever.

For decades the United States played a major role in bringing this wall down. From John F. Kennedy to Ronald Reagan, the Presidents of the USA fought against it.

We would like to give you one of the last pieces of the failed Berlin Wall to commemorate the United States' dedication to building a world without walls.

Citizens of Berlin

https://thewallagainstwalls.com/

And of course, big surprise:

As an aside, I have my own piece of the Berlin Wall, given to me by a friend who was there when it came down. I don't know if anyone else on here has one, but when you hold it in your hand it gives you this weird hit of feelings - sort of a mix of triumph, joy, nausea, and sadness all at once. It's nothing to look at either, it's just basically a little chunk of concrete. It's super plain.

I was in Berlin in September and took this photo of part of the last remaining section of the wall that they've left standing. Feels some days like we're coming full circle.

wall.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back