Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The contract was cancelled in response to local protests. I'm not sure of the detailed specifics of Lithium extraction but its easy to see the the potential to fu** things up. Its extracted from brine so it leaves tailings which will be stored in dams. Mining companies are notorious for ******* up the safety of tailings dams and not making sure that whatever toxic s**t is them gets contained and cleaned up. Dunno what the rainfall in that area spikes to but its a fair bet whatever tailings dams are made they won't be big enough to hold the increasing number of 100 year and 1000 year rain events we've started having.

These mining companies rule the fu**en world at the moment.
I wonder when companies like BHP and Rio Tinto will strike back against Rosatem.

I wonder if the falling Aussie dollar is currency manipulation to get the big easy mines fire up again..

I do wonder a lot of things..

giphy.gif

You don't bait someone you have on ignore. If you're the smartest guy in a room of pea brains it doesn't make you a smart person. That's all SLF is, a leader of low IQs

IQ is over rated.

What matters is compassion, integrity and the ability to stand your ground and hold the line when it all goes to s**t.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
IQ is over rated.

What matters is compassion, integrity and the ability to stand your ground and hold the line when it all goes to s**t.

This is what matters when you haven't been blessed with I.Q.

You're very naive.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
IQ is over rated.

Also mo money mo problems.

these discussions are pretty pointless until we can monetise carbon. we can have all the science we want and argue over the best solution but until we have viable industry attached there’s no solution. all the alternative results in, is adults screaming at a teenage girl.

once you put a price on it people will be motivated to invest in sustainable and divest in old ways.
you’ll also have people planting rain forests. once they can cash in and offset a big polluter.

up until that point all we have is hopes and dreams.

Last edited:

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You're listening to second hand stories again. You're listening to CHOMSKY'S view of anarchism. He is no more an authority on the subject than any other anarchist, as that is a core principle of anarchism. You embrace the basic fundamentals consistently with regard to all, and then find your own means of expression in line with that belief sytem.

I draw political inspiration from Socrates, Nietzsche, Marx, Goldman, Proudhon, Thoreau, Bakunin, Kropotkin, Debs, Stirner, Camus, Carter, Killigrew, Barassi, Pagan, and many, many others, but I utilise certain aspects of their philosophies to assist me with forming my own (i.e. anarchism). I don't blindly follow any of them word for word. If I did that then I would just as likely be one of the current flock.
No Barrassi? Sheez, talk about leaving out the important one.

Also mo money mo problems.

these discussions are pretty pointless until we can monetise carbon. we can have all the science we want and argue over the best solution but until we have viable industry attached there’s no solution. all the alternative results in, is adults screaming at a teenage girl.

once you put a price on it people will be motivated to invest in sustainable and divest in old ways.
you’ll also have people planting rain forests. once they can cash in and offset a big polluter.

up until that point all we have is hopes and dreams.

We used to have a climate change mitigating forestry policy before Howard was elected. We planted eukes for hardwood and rainforest softwoods for cabinet timbers.
That is long gone. Many of the plantations remain. Some have been harvested. The industry had issues but it did put trees in the ground and they soak up carbon.

Much of that industry was assisted by government funding on the basis of a rapid uptake of carbon pricing across the world. This was 25 years ago or close enough. 1994 onward that I knew of it.
Many of those plantations were expected to be offset plantations that would be used to cover carbon prices. Ie if your business produces 100 tonnes of carbon for co2 and owns 30 trees that have each stored 10 tonnes of carbon then you have 200 extra tonnes of offset you can sell or you can expand to produce another 200 and you have no bipp for the co2 you produce. Dunno how much co2 comes from 10 tonnes of C and cbfed working it out now but you get the general idea.
Some of those plantings are now being harvested for timber so the stuff that gets used for furniture or building is essentially storing that carbon from atmospheric co2 in peoples homes as furniture or part of the structure.
Howard removed the funding support the industry had and after that it stagnated.

Thats very Interesting. The people that swarm into Group Identification, end up lacking critical thinking, which makes critical introspection impossible.
(Same as us a footy game, blaming umpires)

It says that Group Identification targets those with suppressed and hidden desires.
I can see how that makes sense with Feminism for example, and dare I guess that they feel powerlessness somewhere deeply suppressed.
Everybody swarms into group identification. They are programmed to.
By evolution essentially.
You wouldn't exist if your ancestors didn't identify with a group. Because they wouldn't have had the ability to raise a line of children that led eventually to you.
And of course feminists and feminism is driven by powerlessness. Not by suppressing it but because women recognised their powerlessness and acted to change it.
Or not. Figure it put for yourself. If you try to get Tefs approval for your thinking tho you've already failed.

"Virtue signalling is the popular modern habit of indicating that one has virtue merely by expressing disgust or favour for certain political ideas or cultural happenings. "

Does that sound about right?

"We want Zero Emissions, when do we want it , NOW"

Have you thought about the impact that would have on our economy and the benefit it would have to climate change?

"DENIER"
Virtue signalling is as old as culture, or at least as old as competition and communication between different cultures. Everybody does group identification stuff not just the people we disagree with.

The alluring dream of capturing CO2 from the atmosphere. Needs some $$

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Needed money 25 years ago.

Nailed it again.

Study Bernays & co., and the insanity exhibited by the world will start to make perfect sense. These people were/are the architects of mainstream contemporary society.

This is how "the mob" are herded in modern western societies.

I almost can't believe you are typing this and yet still seem (from where I'm sitting) to be as brainwashed as the sort of rude coward that would hide behind a bandana to hassle little old ladies on the street.

Almost.

The reason these people are "the architects" of modern society is just that they worked out simple techniques for "brainwashing" before anyone else. And recognised we're all born with minds that are just waiting for it.

OF COURSE!!!!!

Now you are "thinking"!!!

You are miles up yourself if you don't think other people, especially Val, aren't already doing this and even further up yourself if you think they're gonna end up with the same conclusions as you did as they follow that same process.

How the manipulation of empathy leads to polarization.

View attachment 780055

From Wired magazine:

The study had two parts. In the first part, Americans who scored high on an empathy scale showed higher levels of “affective polarization”—defined as the difference between the favorability rating they gave their political party and the rating they gave the opposing party. In the second part, undergraduates were shown a news story about a controversial speaker from the opposing party visiting a college campus. Students who had scored higher on the empathy scale were more likely to applaud efforts to deny the speaker a platform.

It gets worse. These high-empathy students were also more likely to be amused by reports that students protesting the speech had injured a bystander sympathetic to the speaker. That’s right: According to this study, people prone to empathy are prone to schadenfreude.

This study is urgently important—though not because it’s a paradigm shifter, shedding radically new light on our predicament. As the authors note, their findings are in many ways consistent with conclusions reached by other scholars in recent years. But the view of empathy that’s emerging from this growing body of work hasn’t much trickled down to the public. And public understanding of it may be critical to shifting America’s political polarization into reverse somewhere between here and the abyss.

[URL unfurl="true"

]https://www.wired.com/story/empathy...cial&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter[/URL]

If you posted this before I called you a cretinous virtue signalling w***er then I apologise.
Its very interesting.
Especially in light of your " new found" fondness for Bernays.
The idea that you're empathetic but not to your political opponents means your empathy is somehow broken. IMO anyway.
This has been happening on both sides of politics for most of this century.
Your ability to identify with other people being broken by your desire to identify with something righteous is an old problem with humans I reckon.
I can see a link here. I'd be interested to know what you genuinely think about this despite whatever s**t I've given you lately.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Virtue signalling is as old as culture, or at least as old as competition and communication between different cultures. Everybody does group identification stuff not just the people we disagree with.

That they do.

Especially the grievance/victim group.
Who seem to come from privileged first world countries.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What’s going on with Scott Morrison? Why’s he gone to ground? Fear of the climate change discussion?

Why change a winning formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back