Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Hahahaha this week on "100% totally true boomer stories"

There are no graduate jobs out there for 180k USD, and I can assure you that if anyone got one of these mythical jobs they definitely wouldn't be leaving because it's too hard.
In context I working for one of the top investment banks in Singapore. Nothing mythical about it. Would interview all the “top graduates” globally from the most prestigious business schools. These guys all had a massive sense of entitlement. I suggested we go hire from Australia but senior guys would only hire from specific schools for the prestige and the image it presented. Nothing mythical about it. When a lot of these kids are snotty nosed twats from wealthy family who’ve paid for their degrees at Harvard and Wharton, and decide it’s not for them and want to go back to California surf and smoke bongs.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
In context I working for one of the top investment banks in Singapore. Nothing mythical about it. Would interview all the “top graduates” globally from the most prestigious business schools. These guys all had a massive sense of entitlement. I suggested we go hire from Australia but senior guys would only hire from specific schools for the prestige and the image it presented. Nothing mythical about it. When a lot of these kids are snotty nosed twats from wealthy family who’ve paid for their degrees at Harvard and Wharton, and decide it’s not for them and want to go back to California surf and smoke bongs.
One of my standard interview questions used to be. “To get this interview your either very smart, your old man knows some one, or you bribed someone in HR , I don’t care which just tell me why the FK I want to sit next to you for 16 hours a day?”

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had a mate ( sadly passed on ) who had done a round of interviews and was asked for the 5 / 6th time, " where do you see yourself in 5 years time " ? ( this question used to really p**s him off )

His reply ? " Lying on a tropical beach somewhere surrounded by big breasted women " One bloke pissed himself, others a bit flabbergasted.

Got up and walked out 😂

Needless to say he didn't get the job.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My favourite quote “That’s it, we’re done, you’re welcome. Please donate to Australia. Have a great night, get drunk, take your drugs, fu** off”. Hahahaha
Yeah I'd never seen that bit, or the part where he said they all pretended not to know anything about Weinstein. Both great 👍

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
Fair enough, in that particular situation that makes a ton of sense. Definitely agree there is a massive difference between super privileged ivy league graduates from the States and your standard Australian graduate.

I get annoyed when people refer to recent graduates from Aus as entitled and unwilling to work. Grad positions are insanely competitive out of uni, and a number of people I graduated with that had engineering degrees were on the job hunt for 2+ years. These are also only paying 50-60k usually.

Every other position requires at least 3-5 years experience which is nigh on impossible to get without getting one of these rare grad positions first. Generally I've found new graduates super keen to work and impress, partly because they know how dismal the job market is for them out there.

Have you seen the big short? Slightly different but the prices of apartments v the rate in which they’re building them, I can’t see appartments increasing in value at all. Especially with the quality so poor. A lot of people are going to be stuck with overpriced investment appartments that they can’t sell.

Yeah fun film. Bronte capital here in australia ran a similar investigation into housing loan availability. they posed as prospective borrowers and were on to the dodgy lending before the commission came out.

I don't understand there being a glut of suboptimal apartments and no driving the price down.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Fair enough, in that particular situation that makes a ton of sense. Definitely agree there is a massive difference between super privileged ivy league graduates from the States and your standard Australian graduate.

I get annoyed when people refer to recent graduates from Aus as entitled and unwilling to work. Grad positions are insanely competitive out of uni, and a number of people I graduated with that had engineering degrees were on the job hunt for 2+ years. These are also only paying 50-60k usually.

Every other position requires at least 3-5 years experience which is nigh on impossible to get without getting one of these rare grad positions first. Generally I've found new graduates super keen to work and impress, partly because they know how dismal the job market is for them out there.

yes I’m super impressed with most of the grads I get from aus uni’s these days, mainly because I pick them myself. Grades aren’t all that important to me, look for well rounded, kids who’ve held down a job while studying, playing sport, and generally appear to have a good attitude. Sort them out on the job pretty quick.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Had a mate ( sadly passed on ) who had done a round of interviews and was asked for the 5 / 6th time, " where do you see yourself in 5 years time " ? ( this question used to really p**s him off )

His reply ? " Lying on a tropical beach somewhere surrounded by big breasted women " One bloke pissed himself, others a bit flabbergasted.

Got up and walked out 😂

Needless to say he didn't get the job.

For any experienced appointment at one bank I worked for in Singapore required the candidate be interviewed by 15 director level or higher and to get the nod 12 out 15 interviewers had to approve. So I’d interview quite a few people without any interest at all as most weren’t for my part of the biz. One day my boss dragged me in to interview a guy for a pretty unsophisticated role and says to me. Don’t worry this will be real quick, I’m gonna ask him one question and see what you think of his answer which was, “right mate as far as were concerned you guys are good for 2 things, drinking a shitload of piss, and telling knob jokes, and by the look of you you excel at the former, so tell us your best knob joke!” Stunned silence and was doing my not to roll on the floor in fits of laughter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

China has reported an animal outbreak of the deadly H5N1 bird flu in chickens in the Hunan province, an area that borders the province where the coronavirus emerged.

H5N1 mutations are as consistent as the sunrise.

The tabloid media have moved "climate change" from the number one "hype" spot and are now running full bore with this thing.

Remember to purchase the advertised products. :thumbsu:

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Yeah fun film. Bronte capital here in australia ran a similar investigation into housing loan availability. they posed as prospective borrowers and were on to the dodgy lending before the commission came out.

I don't understand there being a glut of suboptimal apartments and no driving the price down.

simple answer here is immigration and Asian buyers have no problem buying a place and leaving it empty.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Wish the virus figures reflected how many people infected and deceased had a comorbidity;

Asthma
Diabetes
Chronic lung disease
Kidney / Heart disease etc.

How many are heavy smokers ?

It's a significant factor from what I have read, which is pretty much in line with standard flu demographics.

There's also some reasonable discussion regarding genetic factors, particularly the propensity of the ACE-2 enzyme in the Han Chinese population, which facilitates a greater receptor docking potential for the coronavirus in the lung cells of this population, so the numbers coming out of China may actually be the high end of the infectious capabilities of this virus.

Be responsible and vigilant, but don't be alarmed.

Chinese fear of a communist collapse is real, a lot of hiding money in safe economies like aus and Canada.

Aren't they in line for a nasty surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back