Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Fury to my eyes looks unbeatable. As in by anyone who has ever lived, in any era under boxing rules.

It's the evolution of the human form, you probably didn't even get men his size 500+ years ago. Certainly not any that could move like that. Come to think of it you don't now either.

I thought Fury's pre-fight talk was too confident and Wilder would find him out. How wrong was I?

Scary to see an athlete as canny and agile as Fury ADD power to his game.

Joshua's Ruiz II fight was based on agility. He comes in trying that against a bloke 10 cms taller and with Fury's cunning and reach, hmm...

As above, I have been known to be wrong..

My wildcard - Fury at some point will go full Hollywood. Noticed he's cleaned up his mouth slightly of late, maybe with a PR focus. It'll take one Guy Ritchie style role to propel him to Vinnie Jones status and beyond.

The only danger will be himself.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fury to my eyes looks unbeatable. As in by anyone who has ever lived, in any era under boxing rules.

It's the evolution of the human form, you probably didn't even get men his size 500+ years ago. Certainly not any that could move like that. Come to think of it you don't now either.

I thought Fury's pre-fight talk was too confident and Wilder would find him out. How wrong was I?

Joshua's Ruiz II fight was based on agility. He comes in trying that against a bloke 10 cms taller and with Fury's cunning and reach, hmm...

My wildcard - Fury at some point will go full Hollywood. Noticed he's cleaned up his mouth slightly of late, maybe with a PR focus. It'll take one Guy Ritchie style role to propel him to Vinnie Jones status and beyond.

You’ve got a very unpopular opinion for people who reminisce about the golden days of boxing.
but could you imagine someone trying the rope a dope strategy with a guy who’s almost a foot taller then Foreman, who’s fitness level and strength means he can punch all day without tiring.
not taking away anything form the champs of yesteryear, as you can only fight who’s in front of you. But it’s a scary proposition.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Wilder very nearly starched him last time. Fury rose from the dead. He was gone. It’s a long shot but Wilder can knock him out.

That stated, 100% agree that Fury looked unbeatable in that last fight.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
You’ve got a very unpopular opinion for people who reminisce about the golden days of boxing.
but could you imagine someone trying the rope a dope strategy with a guy who’s almost a foot taller then Foreman, who’s fitness level and strength means he can punch all day without tiring.
not taking away anything form the champs of yesteryear, as you can only fight who’s in front of you. But it’s a scary proposition.

Look I do get that there was a 30 odd year golden era with lots of charismatic fighters, some classy, some tough.

But check this:

Mike Tyson 178cm
Evander Holyfield 189cm
Muhammad Ali 191cm (yeh I went there)
George Foreman 192cm
Riddick Bowe 196cm
Lennox Lewis 196cm

Tyson has a 10cm height and 10cm reach advantage on his nearest rival before the fight even starts. If he's fit, focused and ready I just can't see anyone history downing him assuming both are at their max.

Mike Tyson wouldn't even be able to reach the blokes chin let alone have a hope of knocking him out.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Wilder very nearly starched him last time. Fury rose from the dead. He was gone. It’s a long shot but Wilder can knock him out.

That stated, 100% agree that Fury looked unbeatable in that last fight.

I'm inclined to believe the Fury camp version of events now that he was an unfit, ill-prepared and hand-picked bum for the first Wilder fight.

Wilder v Fury II was as one sided as you could get for a meeting of 2 undefeated long term fighters.

Just points to Wilder's relative success the first time being for the aforementioned reasons as the Fury crew claimed.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The way Fury kept pushing out that powerful left jab - Wilder hated it!
The way he stepped forward and then pushed his momentum through that jab will stop most others - especially when that jab sometimes turned almost to a straight right!
I thought Fury pushed a bit too hard in the 5th and the 6th as he kept looking for a knockout blow when he could have been a bit more disciplined.
I know Wilder was wobbly but he is still powerful enough to throw big punch and big punches can win big fights, just ask Buster Douglas.
An all England fight coming up will be awesome!!!

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Look I do get that there was a 30 odd year golden era with lots of charismatic fighters, some classy, some tough.

But check this:

Mike Tyson 178cm
Evander Holyfield 189cm
George Foreman 192cm
Riddick Bowe 196cm
Lennox Lewis 196cm

Tyson has a 10cm height and 10cm reach advantage on his nearest rival before the fight even starts. If he's fit, focused and ready I just can't see anyone history downing him assuming both are at their max.

Mike Tyson wouldn't even be able to reach the blokes chin let alone have a hope of knocking him out.
Ah, Mike Tyson did his best work inside and was the best at working his way in. Peak Tyson would evade Fury no problems, smash his flabby guts to pulp then right cross his chin as he crumpled from the blows. They may be big, but they aren't fit to tie Tyson's shoes.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

But check this:

Mike Tyson 178cm
Evander Holyfield 189cm
George Foreman 192cm
Riddick Bowe 196cm
Lennox Lewis 196cm

The klitschko brothers were the death of the old guard. Just simply to big to fit, jabbed and hugged their way to multiple belts until we had guys big enough to compete again.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ah, Mike Tyson did his best work inside and was the best at working his way in. Peak Tyson would evade Fury no problems, smash his flabby guts to pulp then right cross his chin as he crumpled from the blows. They may be big, but they aren't fit to tie Tyson's shoes.
Tyson is the best boxer of seen but he struggled against the reach of Lewis. Fury dwarfs Lewis.

GarnerSmash

10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tyson is the best boxer of seen but he struggled against the reach of Lewis. Fury dwarfs Lewis.
Tyson was way past his best come the bouts with Lewis. s**t, he was past his peak with his bouts against Holyfield too. Mentally he was shot and had lost his edge. Peak Tyson was 87 - 91, pre jail time, and he lost one fight to that point. I would back that Tyson to get past anyones jabs. Once he got inside Fury it would be all over.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm inclined to believe the Fury camp version of events now that he was an unfit, ill-prepared and hand-picked bum for the first Wilder fight.

Wilder v Fury II was as one sided as you could get for a meeting of 2 undefeated long term fighters.

Just points to Wilder's relative success the first time being for the aforementioned reasons as the Fury crew claimed.

The beauty is that we’ll find out in Fury v Wilder III

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
How good is it to have boxing back. There was an mma fight on the weekend and there’s been hardly a mention. Nothing beats heavyweight boxing at its best

Speaking of I looked up what became of Jorge Masvidal's incongruous Hamer Hall Q&A night and saw it had been moved to a "smaller more intimate venue".

Clearly they'd sold out Hamer Hall @ $91 a pop but felt it best to refund a chunk of those tickets and scale down to a better fan experience.

Can't find any reviews of the event which suggests it indeed sold out and everyone walked away completely satisfied.

Speaking of I looked up what became of Jorge Masvidal's incongruous Hamer Hall Q&A night and saw it had been moved to a "smaller more intimate venue".

Clearly they'd sold out Hamer Hall @ $91 a pop but felt it best to refund a chunk of those tickets and scale down to a better fan experience.

Can't find any reviews of the event which suggests it indeed sold out and everyone walked away completely satisfied.
My bro was working for the event.

Fair to say it wont rank with the greats of the Arts Centre pantheon.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
My bro was working for the event.

Fair to say it wont rank with the greats of the Arts Centre pantheon.

Ha, any more info you got on this one? It was the weirdest marketing mail I've ever got.

You have a mildly polarising MMA fighter with zilch profile outside the hardcore supporters booking a venue on the other side of the world usually reserved for Shakespeare or concertos. And with the brashness to ask the better part of $100 a ticket.

If he managed to shift more than 10 seats then Tom Wilkinson should consider booking out AAMI Park for his speaking tour.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tyson was way past his best come the bouts with Lewis. s**t, he was past his peak with his bouts against Holyfield too. Mentally he was shot and had lost his edge. Peak Tyson was 87 - 91, pre jail time, and he lost one fight to that point. I would back that Tyson to get past anyones jabs. Once he got inside Fury it would be all over.
If he got on the inside, Fury would just tie him up and lean on him. Waiting for the ref to split them up. Eventually it would tire Tyson having a 6‘10 120kg frame leaning on him half the fight.

absolutely nothing against iron mike as he’s the best of a generation. Can’t compare.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he got on the inside, Fury would just tie him up and lean on him. Waiting for the ref to split them up. Eventually it would tire Tyson having a 6‘10 120kg frame leaning on him half the fight.

absolutely nothing against iron mike as he’s the best of a generation. Can’t compare.
Broken ribs I reckon. Mike needed only a few punches to land to devastate.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

It's 191cm Polly Farmer, considered the best of the best by those who played in the same era - going up against 201cm endurance machine Todd Goldstein.

Wouldn't be a contest.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Broken ribs I reckon. Mike needed only a few punches to land to devastate.
You may well be right, as Tyson (at his best) was one of the scariest and most ferocious heavyweights ever.
But if Tyson didn't get an early knockout, and those big jabs just kept whacking him on the snot locker, he'd get worn down I reckon.
It's an if I know, and a different time too. Anyway it is great to have some exciting heavyweight bouts coming up!

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's 191cm Polly Farmer, considered the best of the best by those who played in the same era - going up against 201cm endurance machine Todd Goldstein.

Wouldn't be a contest.
It’s the mark spitz is the best swimmer of all time argument.

Dont get me wrong champion but his world record times wouldn’t even get him in the final nowadays. Hell you’ll even see the same times done at some suburban meets now.
cant compare.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Doesn’t work like that. It’s like saying Michael Jordan wouldn’t be any good today because the nba is full of 7 footers.

Tyson cut down plenty of big fighters. He’s body shape was perfect for boxing. So powerful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back