Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Doesn’t work like that. It’s like saying Michael Jordan wouldn’t be any good today because the nba is full of 7 footers.

Tyson cut down plenty of big fighters. He’s body shape was perfect for boxing. So powerful

Mike Tyson vs Wilder or Joshua would be interesting.

Both much bigger men but not colossally bigger like Fury.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Doesn’t work like that. It’s like saying Michael Jordan wouldn’t be any good today because the nba is full of 7 footers.

Tyson cut down plenty of big fighters. He’s body shape was perfect for boxing. So powerful
I was being facetious to someone who thinks Tyson would just have his way on the inside.
For a sport that relies heavily on speed, strength and stamina. You can’t tell me that won’t play a part?

im not having a go at Tyson, or taking anything away from him, because he is a champion and you can only fight who’s in front of you.

But I think there’s this romanising of past champions that’s a little ridiculous.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's great to see him when he was young and hungry?

Never realised he closed in so much, the pit bull description is very apt.

19 years old. Irrc he still holds the record for fastest knock out, was when he was 16 or something. Just a savage.

Have you looked up Eddie Richardson record?
I would’ve said that was a confidence fight.

They’d struggle to hit him is all I’m saying. He’s got better craft then all of them and more power.

I mean look at this

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
19 years old. Irrc he still holds the record for fastest knock out, was when he was 16 or something. Just a savage.

They’d struggle to hit him is all I’m saying. He’s got better craft then all of them and more power.

I mean look at this

I'll put my hand up, had no idea he moved like that. As a kid just knew of his power (and his pigeons). As you said, his evasion is something else.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Fury to my eyes looks unbeatable. As in by anyone who has ever lived, in any era under boxing rules.

It's the evolution of the human form, you probably didn't even get men his size 500+ years ago. Certainly not any that could move like that. Come to think of it you don't now either.

I thought Fury's pre-fight talk was too confident and Wilder would find him out. How wrong was I?

Scary to see an athlete as canny and agile as Fury ADD power to his game.

Joshua's Ruiz II fight was based on agility. He comes in trying that against a bloke 10 cms taller and with Fury's cunning and reach, hmm...

As above, I have been known to be wrong..

My wildcard - Fury at some point will go full Hollywood. Noticed he's cleaned up his mouth slightly of late, maybe with a PR focus. It'll take one Guy Ritchie style role to propel him to Vinnie Jones status and beyond.

The only danger will be himself.

I agree with part of this.

But Tyson was never the biggest, but he's the most feared heavyweight of all time. I'd back a young Tyson against Fury, every day of the week.

Ali, Foreman, Frazier were great champs, but they were never feared like Tyson was.

He was just so incredibly quick, defensive skills off the charts and I would of backed Tyson to get inside of Fury pretty easily given their respective size and speed differences and once Mike was in there, it was good night...

Just incredibly brutal in his absolute prime.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
For some reason I feel like it was always pointed out to me he was a slugger (a la Wilder) only. Those clips alone suggest otherwise.

Nah, Tyson is probably the fastest boxer I've ever seen in my life.

Nobody has had the combo of speed/power that he's had, ever....

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For some reason I feel like it was always pointed out to me he was a slugger (a la Wilder) only. Those clips alone suggest otherwise.

The story goes that when he was in his early teens they didn’t believe he was as young as his trainer claimed, so other gyms made him spar against men. Probably played a part in fighting bigger opponents and developing his defence. Maybe if he fought kids his own age, he would’ve been a different fighter.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
This is a great clip.

A 16 year old Tyson vs Jimmy Clark in a sparring session.

Jimmy Clark was a 28 year old pro at the time with an 18-1 record......

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I think you have to take the good with the bad, Tyson v Holyfield 1
Mind you Holyfield had retired at this point and returned for a payday.
Tyson still shows his trademark speed and strength but looks like the others of his generation have caught up to the fitness levels of Tyson.

make no mistake Tyson was a product of the Cold War and American exceptionalism.

he was one of a kind in his hey day but had fighters caught up to him at that point?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I think you have to take the good with the bad, Tyson v Holyfield 1
Mind you Holyfield had retired at this point and returned for a payday.
Tyson still shows his trademark speed and strength but looks like the others of his generation have caught up to the fitness levels of Tyson.

make no mistake Tyson was a product of the Cold War and American exceptionalism.

he was one of a kind in his hey day but had fighters gone past him at that point?

No doubt he faded quickly. By the end he was barely training and just fighting because he was broke. Bit like Ali. I don’t like champion fighters fighting past their used by date.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wait he was 30 by this point and still had a dozen fights to go. Same stage of his career that Fury is now.

People peak at different times. What was Fury doing when he was 19? Did he have 12 heavyweight wins under his belt?

The big pikey was probably menacing the bare knuckle unlicensed fights at various camp sites throughout Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back