Play Nice Random Chat Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starting this fire season, you may see our new 737 Large Air Tanker (LAT) overhead - a firebombing aircraft that will be available to assist us all year-round.
The new addition to the NSW RFS aerial firefighting fleet, named Marie Bashir, will be based at RAAF Base in Richmond and can operate from some regional airports. It will be able to reach all parts of NSW within an hour.

You should send this to the crackpots that are blaming the greenies for the fires. Start with Miranda Devine

Yeah, expect that to ramp up in the Murdoch press as they try and deflect criticism from the Government. Never mind that the Greens are a minority party and don't hold any real power or that they actually state in their policy documents that they are pro hazard reduction burning.

What he did was literally an act of war on a sovereign nation.Iran will definitely retaliate, then what does Trump do? (I say Trump and not the US because he didn’t get approval for the attack).

The man is a loose cannon. I hope you’re right about them not going to war because Iran would be worse then Iraq and no doubt we’d have to jump in.
Didn’t have to get congress approval just like they didn’t for the Osama bin Laden hit.

Starting this fire season, you may see our new 737 Large Air Tanker (LAT) overhead - a firebombing aircraft that will be available to assist us all year-round.
The new addition to the NSW RFS aerial firefighting fleet, named Marie Bashir, will be based at RAAF Base in Richmond and can operate from some regional airports. It will be able to reach all parts of NSW within an hour.

Before or after his $250M personal plane?

Yeah, expect that to ramp up in the Murdoch press as they try and deflect criticism from the Government. Never mind that the Greens are a minority party and don't hold any real power or that they actually state in their policy documents that they are pro hazard reduction burning.
9 federal senators and dominating local councils and being in a political alliance with the ALP isn’t insignificant. Still coping it plenty from Ten, Seven, SBS and the ABC
Even to assassinate the top general of a sovereign nation? Bit different then Bin Laden isn’t it?
It is different, but the Quds has been designated as a terror organisation. It’s what I meant by writing the international laws.

Well if that is the separation of powers, the states have to take some of the blame too don't they?
For budgets, largely yes. There were cuts for the 2019-20 period of 10-15%, and yearly increases before that for at least 4 years for NSW that totalled more than the cuts. With the provision of new emergency funding would eliminate those cuts.

Some tankers have been bought for NSW.

Obviously, the federals do allocate federal funds, which affects budgets and equipment purchases. That is where the federals have truly fallen down. That twitter thread posted earlier alluded to it, however, a lot of the complaints were state issues and reponsibilities.

For budgets, largely yes. There were cuts for the 2019-20 period of 10-15%, and yearly increases before that for at least 4 years for NSW that totalled more than the cuts. With the provision of new emergency funding would eliminate those cuts.

Some tankers have been bought for NSW.

Obviously, the federals do allocate federal funds, which affects budgets and equipment purchases.
Thanks k4e I'm asking these questions genuinely. There feels like a lot of misinformation or at least blurred lines about what the government has done wrong.

Thanks k4e I'm asking these questions genuinely. There feels like a lot of misinformation or at least blurred lines about what the government has done wrong.
They have differently screwed up in communication and providing new funding, but a lot has been state and local council responsibilities/issues.

I feel it’s getting a little ridiculous when a pm’s religion is brought into the conversation.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 federal senators and dominating local councils and being in a political alliance with the ALP isn’t insignificant. Still coping it plenty from Ten, Seven, SBS and the ABC

It is different, but the Quds has been designated as a terror organisation. It’s what I meant by writing the international laws.
I thought that hazard reduction burning was largely controlled by the state Government/ relevant firefighting organisation eg CFA? Or do they need to get specific permission/approval from the local council? Seems to be pretty difficult to get much done these days as either too wet to burn well or too dangerous. I guess resources are a potential issue there as well.

I thought that hazard reduction burning was largely controlled by the state Government/ relevant firefighting organisation eg CFA? Or do they need to get specific permission/approval from the local council? Seems to be pretty difficult to get much done these days as either too wet to burn well or too dangerous. I guess resources are a potential issue there as well.
The way I understood it is private properties and land clearing are under the purview of councils, whilst state and national forests are require necessary permissions from state and federal agencies, but I’m sure there are others that know more than me on the back burning responsibilities.

The way I understood it is private properties and land clearing are under the purview of councils, whilst state and national forests are require necessary permissions from state and federal agencies, but I’m sure there are others that know more than me on the back burning responsibilities.
Thanks for that, makes sense I guess. You can imagine that councils are pretty conservative with what they allow on peoples properties given how badly that can go wrong. I remember several instances from my childhood where burning off got majorly out of control. I think people have to inform the local fire authority too correct? Just so they know what's going on.

Just on the Greens blaming. A lot of it has to do with people taking issue with older legislation and, more so, their strong presence at council level and private property reduction burns.

The environmental laws are fairly strict because it was indiscriminate burning many years ago, it’s not impossible to get hazard reductions done through their process, the problem is, it’s drier and hotter,” Mr Mullins told the program.

“Round here we’ve been trying to do hazard reductions all year, it’s either too wet, or too hot and dry and they get away from us.

“Yes we need to do more fuel reduction burns, if only we had the window like we used to.”

Just on the Greens blaming. A lot of it has to do with people taking issue with older legislation and, more so, their strong presence at council level and private property reduction burns.

The environmental laws are fairly strict because it was indiscriminate burning many years ago, it’s not impossible to get hazard reductions done through their process, the problem is, it’s drier and hotter,” Mr Mullins told the program.

“Round here we’ve been trying to do hazard reductions all year, it’s either too wet, or too hot and dry and they get away from us.

“Yes we need to do more fuel reduction burns, if only we had the window like we used to.”

I can remember around 20 years the uproar when controlled burning used to take place in Autumn and all the whinging that Melburnians went on about

Great article. Thanks a lot. You can see why its so hard to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back