Play Nice Random Chat Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's time to pause for a moment of mourning folks.

View attachment 851548

Don’t you think that things will just go back to normal once everything starts going again and pollution will just pick up? Or do you think the facts people that called climate change a hoax also called the covid-19 a hoax will realise that they’re horribly wrong?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Don’t you think that things will just go back to normal once everything starts going again and pollution will just pick up? Or do you think the facts people that called climate change a hoax also called the covid-19 a hoax will realise that they’re horribly wrong?

This is some of the finest choice limitation that I have seen in some time.

Thank you for thinking for me.:thumbsu:

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So what point were you making?

"Climate change" predominately consists of poor science pushed by highly personally motivated parasites.

Do you think I might be in a position to make a worthy judgement about that in comparison to the layperson (i.e. you)?

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"Climate change" predominately consists of poor science pushed by highly personally motivated parasites.

Do you think I might be in a position to make a worthy judgement about that in comparison to the layperson (i.e. you)?

You do spend a fair bit of time obsessing over it tbf. Especially Greta for some reason.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You do spend a fair bit of time obsessing over it tbf. Especially Greta for some reason.

You don't answer the question then launch in to a psychoanalysis!!!

It's a sad rare day indeed to witness a poster like you engage in such intellectual dishonesty.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You don't answer the question then launch in to a psychoanalysis!!!

It's a sad rare day indeed to witness a poster like you engage in such intellectual dishonesty.

I think you’ve answered that question before. You say refer to the science, which I agree with. I just want to know which ones.

So to answer your question, no I don’t think you’re in a position to make a worthy judgement about that in comparison to the layperson, because you don’t understand it either.

I am genuinely interested in seeing what this brief period of the world slowing has on the environment.

Posting from my phone but there are studies that suggested the decrease in factory activity in China's manufacturing areas had had a direct impact on the lowering of NO2 (I think?) in the atmosphere above China. The same phenomenon was evident, however less so, in manufacturing areas in France, England etc.

Posting from my phone but there are studies that suggested the decrease in factory activity in China's manufacturing areas had had a direct impact on the lowering of NO2 (I think?) in the atmosphere above China. The same phenomenon was evident, however less so, in manufacturing areas in France, England etc.

Here's an article on it:

However it does note that it will not ultimately slow climate change. So there are short term positive benefits but it's unlikely they will translate to long term effects on climate change

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Here's an article on it:

However it does note that it will not ultimately slow climate change. So there are short term positive benefits but it's unlikely they will translate to long term effects on climate change

Interesting. It’s as close as we’re going to get at having a look at what lowering emissions can do. But, yeah, there’s no way that people will tolerate this long enough to have a long term effect.

Interesting. It’s as close as we’re going to get at having a look at what lowering emissions can do. But, yeah, there’s no way that people will tolerate this long enough to have a long term effect.

I think it's too early to predict any outcomes at this point. I think we're a long way off from seeing what the long term post Covid effects will be on the planet, and on us as a collective, and what the world that emerges from it is going to look like. Right now it's obvious that shutting down the traffic of life has had a pretty dramatic effect in reducing pollution in many places. But like I've said somewhere else on here, how we rebuild it after is going to make all the difference. We've been given a chance to get it right, do it better, both for ourselves and our planet next time around, when this is all over.

What's happening in the States right now is nuts. If they continue on this trajectory (and there's no reason at the moment to think otherwise), there's going to be a tremendous loss of humanity in that country. Gun retailers have just been deemed an "essential service" down there. As if that place wasn't a tinderbox at the best of times, now there's third world-like medical supply shortages, thousands dying daily, guns being even more promoted, and states like Florida and Texas still not taking the virus seriously.

So who knows what our world will look like next year? It's interesting times to say the least. There's a weird inversion sort of thing happening, a leveling out, a flip-flopping of priorities and values. We can either learn from it or not. Case in point, in Las Vegas this week there was an outbreak at a homeless shelter. I think one volunteer and a resident tested positive. So the whole place had to shut down, turning some 300 homeless people out. As a temporary solution, the city of Vegas devoted a parking lot for these people. Painted six by six foot lines over the whole thing, making a grid, and each person got their own square to live in, in this parking lot outside, no shelter. Sixty feet away from empty posh hotels.

Now if only they would move those people into those hotels, that would be a beautiful thing. If only we can learn.

Anyways, when I drive to work every morning, up on the highway, I can see Vancouver Island clear as day. That's new.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it's too early to predict any outcomes at this point. I think we're a long way off from seeing what the long term post Covid effects will be on the planet, and on us as a collective, and what the world that emerges from it is going to look like. Right now it's obvious that shutting down the traffic of life has had a pretty dramatic effect in reducing pollution in many places. But like I've said somewhere else on here, how we rebuild it after is going to make all the difference. We've been given a chance to get it right, do it better, both for ourselves and our planet next time around, when this is all over.

What's happening in the States right now is nuts. If they continue on this trajectory (and there's no reason at the moment to think otherwise), there's going to be a tremendous loss of humanity in that country. Gun retailers have just been deemed an "essential service" down there. As if that place wasn't a tinderbox at the best of times, now there's third world-like medical supply shortages, thousands dying daily, guns being even more promoted, and states like Florida and Texas still not taking the virus seriously.

So who knows what our world will look like next year? It's interesting times to say the least. There's a weird inversion sort of thing happening, a leveling out, a flip-flopping of priorities and values. We can either learn from it or not. Case in point, in Las Vegas this week there was an outbreak at a homeless shelter. I think one volunteer and a resident tested positive. So the whole place had to shut down, turning some 300 homeless people out. As a temporary solution, the city of Vegas devoted a parking lot for these people. Painted six by six foot lines over the whole thing, making a grid, and each person got their own square to live in, in this parking lot outside, no shelter. Sixty feet away from empty posh hotels.

Now if only they would move those people into those hotels, that would be a beautiful thing. If only we can learn.

Anyways, when I drive to work every morning, up on the highway, I can see Vancouver Island clear as day. That's new.

Climate change aside there’s been lots of examples of nature benefiting from this. Dolphins in clear waters of Venice Italy for example. never thought that would happen.

America is copping it hard. Gut feel is that they’ll just wait this out, count the dead and go back to normal. The number 1 priority for them will be retaining their position as the top dog of the world.

The thing I keep coming back to is the necessary reform of farming and market standards. While this has been bad, there’s no doubt that something worse will make the jump one day.

What happened in Vegas was typical of America.

Then again Vegas is typical of America.

image.jpeg

That Dare chocolate milk ad where the bloke goes to name his son Callum Murray, then decides to call him Jack. Well, Jack Murray is, or was, a semi famous bloke from Sydney, also known as Gelignite Jack. Not only did he blow up several outdoor dunnies, but he was also the 2nd man to ski Sydney Harbour :)

Was just showing my little mate a G.Archer highlight vid on the youtube machine, and saw the match highlights of that game in 2004? when we were 39 down at 3/4 time against stinky old Sydney. Well the great Corey Jones was a fave of mine, and I was getting a bit excited, wondering to my little mate if we would win, if there was enough time hehehe Anyway, silly old me goes nuts again when Corey bends that goal in .... a few moments later the siren goes and my little mate tells me thats the 2nd game we've won this year!!! Funny kid 🙃

But like I've said somewhere else on here, how we rebuild it after is going to make all the difference. We've been given a chance to get it right, do it better, both for ourselves and our planet next time around, when this is all over.

Reminds me of a tweet I saw the other day....

covid-meme.jpg

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Can you imagine what Trump is going to do to Biden? It’s going to be messy

Biden exhibits all the hallmarks of early senility.

The western world is broken.

Even if Climate Change is a pile of horseshit, if there are fiscally responsible and practical changes that can be made in society that improve the environment in general, I can't see how that's a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back