Play Nice Random Chat Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many lifetimes ago I was usually able to double up on any given weekend. You know, snag a kangas match then duck over to the soccer or the rugby, or vice versa. Fast forward to today, we have our very own, need to beat the poos and wees, Kangas at about 6pm, followed by my my equally loved Sheffield Wednesday on the box at about 9pm. Doubling up from the comfort of my own home. Ringadingding you beauty! 🙃

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Many lifetimes ago I was usually able to double up on any given weekend. You know, snag a kangas match then duck over to the soccer or the rugby, or vice versa. Fast forward to today, we have our very own, need to beat the poos and wees, Kangas at about 6pm, followed by my my equally loved Sheffield Wednesday on the box at about 9pm. Doubling up from the comfort of my own home. Ringadingding you beauty!

True. My days when north and my NBA team play are great, except when both lose and I’m wandering the streets looking for a fight.

True. My days when north and my NBA team play are great, except when both lose and I’m wandering the streets looking for a fight.
Yep, it either makes for a fun time or a scowl at the footpath kinda walk home

Actually the US military were calling the Russians out for their support of the Taliban since Trump was elected and definitely beforehand under the O Bomber.

The Taliban were formed by Mujahadeen trained and financed by the US. It's a fair bet they also got bounties for killing Russian soldiers during the Russian occupation of Afghanistan.

So the more things change ...

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Actually the US military were calling the Russians out for their support of the Taliban since Trump was elected and definitely beforehand under the O Bomber.

The Taliban were formed by Mujahadeen trained and financed by the US. It's a fair bet they also got bounties for killing Russian soldiers during the Russian occupation of Afghanistan.

Interesting this is becoming front page news more then the story..

I mean why don’t you salute on a military base? This is not new.

Last edited:
I actually don't believe it.

There are few US deaths in Afghanistan as it is.

IE one more death since the start of 2016 than there were in 2014/15, and less over that time than in any single year since 2004.

Furthermore this info comes from US intelligence agencies.

Do they ever tell the truth?

These are the same organisations that want to rendition Assange.

They paid bounties to rendition innocent people to Guantanamo bay, tortured them to make false confessions and lied about the process. They provided false intelligence about WMDs to enable the war on Iraq, failed to prevent and may have allowed or enabled the 9/11 attacks. ( At the very least were too incompetent to protect their country when it mattered.)

What else have they done or lied about this century? Spying on their own people illegally. Assisting the FBI in the worst entrapment of people who weren't really terrorists. Failed to notice the Arab Spring in Tunisia and Egypt then did their best to either * it up or turn it to their states own advantage.

Even now they are talking about working with domestic law enforcement to stop the terrorists in the BLM movement.

(Feel free to add all the stuff I've missed DR.)

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Was it ever reported that Russia had bounty’s on US soldiers?

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually don't believe it.

There are few US deaths in Afghanistan as it is.

IE one more death since the start of 2016 than there were in 2014/15, and less over that time than in any single year since 2004.

Furthermore this info comes from US intelligence agencies.

Do they ever tell the truth?

These are the same organisations that want to rendition Assange.

They paid bounties to rendition innocent people to Guantanamo bay, tortured them to make false confessions and lied about the process. They provided false intelligence about WMDs to enable the war on Iraq, failed to prevent and may have allowed or enabled the 9/11 attacks. ( At the very least were too incompetent to protect their country when it mattered.)

What else have they done or lied about this century? Spying on their own people illegally. Assisting the FBI in the worst entrapment of people who weren't really terrorists. Failed to notice the Arab Spring in Tunisia and Egypt then did their best to either fu** it up or turn it to their states own advantage.

Even now they are talking about working with domestic law enforcement to stop the terrorists in the BLM movement.

(Feel free to add all the stuff I've missed DR.)
Their job is to lie, if we knew what the security agencies were up too, the public would end up hanging ‘em openly in the streets.

The only thing I disagree with failed to notice Arab spring, there was a program called 21st Century Statecraft.
it was about quote/ diplomacy in the digital age /unquote.
I believe it started in about 2008, from student campus/think tanks. Sound familiar, to current?

but basically how they could organise regime change with the tech companies. There’s an interesting guy called Jared Cohn who was instrumental in making it happen.

Their job is to lie, if we knew what the security agencies were up too, the public would end up hanging ‘em openly in the streets.

The only thing I disagree with failed to notice Arab spring, there was a program called 21st Century Statecraft.
it was about quote/ diplomacy in the digital age /unquote.
I believe it started in about 2008, from student campus/think tanks. Sound familiar, to current?

but basically how they could organise regime change with the tech companies. There’s an interesting guy called Jared Cohn who was instrumental in making it happen.

I don't disagree about Cohen or colour revolutions generally.

But the US missed what happened in Tunisia then in Egypt. Tunisia doesn't matter and Egypt has been brought back under control (no regime change there ... well not really, two years with the only legal opposition (the Muslim Brotherhood) in power was enough to see most people running back to the army for government ... just a change in leadership from Mubarak to Sisi.)

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nicky Winmar takes legal action against AFL greats including Sam Newman after they claimed famous photo of him pointing to his black skin had nothing to do with taking a stand against racism

I don't get it, why would you make those comments, why would you try and diminish what an important moment that was in AFL. Really disappointed with those men, it just looks bad, if not malicious it makes them look foolish.
This podcast is actually a rare balanced discussion in this day and age. Newman and Scott usually present a conservative view while Sheahan gives the progressive angle (in this instance he didn't agree with them on the motivation of Winmar as is being suggested, he simply affirmed that the Herald Sun reported the "guts" story at the time). The guests are from all walks of life.

This was a silly thing for Newman and Scott to say though. Winmar expressed racism as his motivation for doing it in a day and age when it wasn't cool to do so. It's clearly true and is a defining moment in the history of the sport. I can't stand virtue signalling and cancel culture, but they shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Was it ever reported that Russia had bounty’s on US soldiers?
Do you believe that?

Where did this claim come from? Would you trust the source. I dunno but what I heard was this info came from crims (not the Taliban or their enemies,) busted in Afghanistan recently. The Taliban and Russia have denied it, which means nothing obviously) but there is absolutely no info about meetings, money trails no names dates or times, which usually accompany thus sort of thing whatever their accuracy.

Well not from what I can find, but obviously if this was true or a proper lie then there would be some sort of corroborating "evidence" or information.

So far there is only a vague claim of connection to the Skipral poisoning, which may have been done by the Poms anyway.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
This podcast is actually a rare balanced discussion in this day and age. Newman and Scott usually present a conservative view while Sheahan gives the progressive angle (in this instance he didn't agree with them on the motivation of Winmar as is being suggested, he simply affirmed that the Herald Sun reported the "guts" story at the time). The guests are from all walks of life.

This was a silly thing for Newman and Scott to say though. Winmar expressed racism as his motivation for doing it in a day and age when it wasn't cool to do so. It's clearly true and is a defining moment in the history of the sport. I can't stand virtue signalling and cancel culture, but they shot themselves in the foot with this one.

The notion that people get outraged, because an alternative view was put forward, is the real issue at play here.

It's not "silly", it's their view. Winmar has come out and countered that this is not the case. There's no heroes or villains, just alternative views. If no evidence to the contrary arises, then Winmar's version of events should be taken at face value, but Newman & Scott should not be "cancelled" for quoting the reported version.

The virtue signallers from cancel culture?

You're right. They did.

No one thinks what they signalled was virtuous except a few arse holes.

For those of you that didn't notice, cancel culture has been around forever, but cos it only reflected the old school mainstream view no one noticed the people who were cancelled, or agreed with it cos of "common sense" and "thinking right" "supporting the troops tropes" etcetc

The likes of say ... John Pilger.

Or even Lumumba and Goodes who were "cancelled" (or at least people attempted to) after they started whinging about racism.

It happened all the time. Now it's a more grassroots thing, anyone can do it not just the powerful, that's all.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The notion that people get outraged, because an alternative view was put forward, is the real issue at play here.

It's not "silly", it's their view. Winmar has come out and countered that this is not the case. There's no heroes or villains, just alternative views. If no evidence to the contrary arises, then Winmar's version of events should be taken at face value, but Newman & Scott should not be "cancelled" for quoting the reported version.
Yes I agree. They're entitled to their opinion. In this instance I just have the opposing view to them. I'll still listen next week because I enjoy having my views challenged (I enjoy reading BigFooty for the same reason). It was silly though because now they're being sued.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS

You're right. They did.

For those of you that didn't notice, cancel culture has been around forever, but cos it only reflected the old school mainstream view no one noticed the people who were cancelled, or agreed with it cos of "common sense" and "thinking right" "supporting the troops tropes" etcetc

Or even Lumumba and Goodes who were "cancelled" (or at least people attempted to) after they started whinging about racism.

It happened all the time. Now it's a more grassroots thing, anyone can do it not just the powerful, that's all.

Newman has said whatever he’s wanted to on a national platform. He’s not cancelled.

They tried to cancel Annalise Van Diemen but were turned away.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

You're right. They did.

It's not the cancel culture that worries me so much as the virtue signalling that surrounds it. If I thought that people were expressing their views rather than the views they were expected to present I would be fine with it. Unfortunately I feel like social media creates a situation where people are often bullied into saying and doing things that they don't actually agree with.

For example, I agree with Goodes but I don't agree with BLM. The former you can express on social media, the latter you wouldn't dare. The power of social media to socially ostracise people puts a barrier in the way of intellectual debate.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yes I agree. They're entitled to their opinion. In this instance I just have the opposing view to them. I'll still listen next week because I enjoy having my views challenged (I enjoy reading BigFooty for the same reason). It was silly though because now they're being sued.

That's cool, express your opinion, and getting "sued" can end up with all sorts of outcomes.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
It can and I doubt there will be much of a case against them, but it's a lot of drama for the sake of a podcast you do for free in your spare time.

The case should get thrown out, will get thrown out and there will be a conga line of right wing arseholes on tv telling us they have no freedom of speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back