Play Nice Random Chat Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The case should get thrown out, will get thrown out and there will be a conga line of right wing arseholes on tv telling us they have no freedom of speech.

Surely the case being thrown out would affirm that right-wing arseholes have freedom of speech. I tend to disagree that Winmar and the photographer don't have a case. Scott and Newman have accused them of lying to further their agenda. They don't really have any basis for their opinions and it seems to be a pretty clearcut case of defamation. I doubt it will ever see the inside of a courtroom though given the ridiculous costs of the legal system in this country.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It can and I doubt there will be much of a case against them, but it's a lot of drama for the sake of a podcast you do for free in your spare time.

Do you think this "drama" might be symptomatic of an even greater contemporary dramatization?

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't disagree about Cohen or colour revolutions generally.

But the US missed what happened in Tunisia then in Egypt. Tunisia doesn't matter and Egypt has been brought back under control (no regime change there ... well not really, two years with the only legal opposition (the Muslim Brotherhood) in power was enough to see most people running back to the army for government ... just a change in leadership from Mubarak to Sisi.)
I think the US of A was instrumental in making it happen, but like most revolutions, they don’t understand the power void on the ground, or simply don’t care anymore, as theres not many weapons sales in a peaceful country.

I also think the Arab spring was a bit of a shock at how successful it was..

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do you think this "drama" might be symptomatic of an even greater contemporary dramatization?
Yes.

Surely the case being thrown out would affirm that right-wing arseholes have freedom of speech. I tend to disagree that Winmar and the photographer don't have a case. Scott and Newman have accused them of lying to further their agenda. They don't really have any basis for their opinions and it seems to be a pretty clearcut case of defamation. I doubt it will ever see the inside of a courtroom though given the ridiculous costs of the legal system in this country.
Winmar and this photographer are going to struggle to prove that their reputations have been defamed to the point of a loss of income out of this. If anything I would suggest it's good PR for the photographer (I never knew who took that photo before this).

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yes.

Winmar and this photographer are going to struggle to prove that their reputations have been defamed to the point of a loss of income out of this. If anything I would suggest it's good PR for the photographer (I never knew who took that photo before this).

Good posting.

If Newman & Scott have knowingly made these comments then it's poor form, but the constant "Kafkatrapping" emerging from SJW politics only serves to further frustrate people and raise the stakes in this game. There will be an ugly backlash if the world doesn't come to its senses. I am certain of this.

If Newman & Scott think Nicky has jumped on a fabricated post event opportunity that has emerged, then they should also come out and state that claim. It's disingenuouis to just state it for the sake of just stating it. Personally, I have never seen anything in Winmar to support this claim. Long & Goodes, yes, but not Winmar. IMO, Nicky HAS been pushed along by others with political agendas to the point where what this has become, was not his original intended purpose.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Good posting.

If Newman & Scott have knowingly made these comments then it's poor form, but the constant "Kafkatrapping" emerging from SJW politics only serves to further frustrate people and raise the stakes in this game. There will be an ugly backlash if the world doesn't come to its senses. I am certain of this.

If Newman & Scott think Nicky has jumped on a fabricated post event opportunity that has emerged then they should also come out and state that claim. It's disingenuouis to just state it for the sake of just stating it. Personally, I have never seen anything in Winmar to support this claim. Long & Goodes, yes, but not Winmar. IMO, Nicky HAS been pushed along by others with political agendas to the point where what this has become, was not his original intended purpose.
Of course it has a socio-political purpose. It was a socio-political issue.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Newman can come out of this looking like a hero for free speech and balanced opinion, or the victim of further SJW encroachment upon the state machinery. What if he refuses to pay any fine and go to jail? Now you have a hero/anti-hero on your hands.

They should wait until this quiets down and shelve the case.

It's not the cancel culture that worries me so much as the virtue signalling that surrounds it. If I thought that people were expressing their views rather than the views they were expected to present I would be fine with it. Unfortunately I feel like social media creates a situation where people are often bullied into saying and doing things that they don't actually agree with.

For example, I agree with Goodes but I don't agree with BLM. The former you can express on social media, the latter you wouldn't dare. The power of social media to socially ostracise people puts a barrier in the way of intellectual debate.

This is pretty much the only social media I do.

See the bold? That is the history of society since it started.

All media does this. Once upon a time church pulpits did. Social media no different and shouldn't be singled out from all the rest of those other forms of social coercion.

Surely the case being thrown out would affirm that right-wing arseholes have freedom of speech.

Post modernism is long gone. The way to view the world of today is as "Post-reality".

It doesn't matter that you can hear someone in the media saying they have no freedom of speech because they can't express their views on the subject they are currently expressing their views on. This doesn't prove freedom of speech. These people are victims damn it!!!

This is actually how fascism starts, as anyone who read the book about it would have noticed.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Post modernism is long gone. The way to view the world of today is as "Post-reality".

It doesn't matter that you can hear someone in the media saying they have no freedom of speech because they can't express their views on the subject they are currently expressing their views on. This doesn't prove freedom of speech. These people are victims damn it!!!

This is actually how fascism starts, as anyone who read the book about it would have noticed.
100% agree. They portray the extension of basic rights to others as 'fascism' while ignoring literal militarism to stomp on dissent. The narratives about 'SJWs' are political projects. They don't exist, nobody can identify any such movement. But they sure as * will emote about SJWs until they foam at the mouth.

This right wing populism has been a disaster in power, so who knows how sustainable it is.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
There is a difference between freedom of speech and unfettered speech. Freedom of speech is great, and should always be upheld. Unfettered speech, not so much.

.........the problem is in how it is defined, and both sides of the left-right paradigm want to dominate the perimeters to suit themselves.

There's a healthy element in both camps that would happily completely shut down their opponents and sleep well at night, and the rise in political extremism is further cause for concern.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is pretty much the only social media I do.

See the bold? That is the history of society since it started.

All media does this. Once upon a time church pulpits did. Social media no different and shouldn't be singled out from all the rest of those other forms of social coercion.
Yes of course.

Supporting (or at the very least not opposing) the cause du jour via social media is just the modern version of this.

It doesn't make it a good thing though.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do you believe that?

Where did this claim come from? Would you trust the source. I dunno but what I heard was this info came from crims (not the Taliban or their enemies,) busted in Afghanistan recently. The Taliban and Russia have denied it, which means nothing obviously) but there is absolutely no info about meetings, money trails no names dates or times, which usually accompany thus sort of thing whatever their accuracy.

Well not from what I can find, but obviously if this was true or a proper lie then there would be some sort of corroborating "evidence" or information.

So far there is only a vague claim of connection to the Skipral poisoning, which may have been done by the Poms anyway.

I have no reason not to believe them.

What do you think the Iraqis Most Wanted card game was used for?
To bring them to trial?

They were at war with Iraq. Russia isn’t at war with America. The American President just expressed that he wants Putin to have a seat at the G7 table.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Newman has said whatever he’s wanted to on a national platform. He’s not cancelled.

They tried to cancel Annalise Van Diemen but were turned away.

The irony is that if the footy show got rid of Sam earlier it might not have been cancelled. Not because Sams offensive but because his jokes were lame and boring.

The notion that people get outraged, because an alternative view was put forward, is the real issue at play here.

It's not "silly", it's their view. Winmar has come out and countered that this is not the case. There's no heroes or villains, just alternative views. If no evidence to the contrary arises, then Winmar's version of events should be taken at face value, but Newman & Scott should not be "cancelled" for quoting the reported version.

It is not a theoretical piece to propose alternative explanations for. Winmar is alive and has given his account of it numerous times and it has never changed.

The guy who took the photo ran after Winmar after that incident where he had embraced McAdam, he said...

“They embraced and brought their heads together, and Nicky was repeatedly saying in that euphoric moment of celebration, ‘I’m black and I’m proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black’, to Gilbert as they embraced. So I don’t know if I can be any more specific about what happened.”

The story hadn't changed in the 27 years since it happened. There is no alternative view, to suggest it is to accuse Winmar of lying and taking advantage of it, it defames his character. You would want to have some kind of smoking gun to basically call Winmar a fraud.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It is not a theoretical piece to propose alternative explanations for. Winmar is alive and has given his account of it numerous times and it has never changed.

I didn't claim it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back