Play Nice Random Chat Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
.......and just like that it opens up for you and the entire premise is dismissed.

You're a lazy, lazy thinker. What a waste it will be if you're still resorting to this in your 40's onwards.

The role of universities and their current form is a valid topic, but discussions of race wars and gulags is emotional nonsense.

Why don’t you discuss how universities are essentially doing tafe training? Or making up shortfalls in govt funding by accepting grants or sponsors? How does that effect research? Or the casualisation of academic staff? They’re too busy keeping their job to create a Marxist revolution.

These personalities want to make you angry. Fact check them first and go from there.

What happens as these people move in to positions of influence?

The whole thing comes crashing down.

Your attitude on this is like the people on this website who think the world is ending because we lost a game of footy on the weekend. Who look at our performance this season and think we'll never play finals again.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You need to be aware that your experience is not representative of the overall university system.

Not yet, and its certainly already over representative of the overall university system.

I assume you didn't do statistics, otherwise you'd understand the folly of stating a conclusion based on a sample where n = 1.

Of course I did statistics. I didn't do an arts degree. I did two focused mathematics modules and further statistical analysis throughout the studies.

It's the quality of the work that suffers once candidates leap frog due to non academic factors.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
The whole system has fallen apart because of one more option to get special consideration?

In the 80s people applied for special consideration because of the October '87 financial crisis' effect on their parent's finances. Not cos they lost their homes etc, cos they lost money.

All the things happening in the world and people whinge about this... It's not even first world problems. It haute bourgeios busybody problems.

Yep. I’m sure this is doing the rounds on social media. It will get 10,000 people angry before 1 of them looks into it.

It's not well organized to get that far, but these idiots could very well initiate a backlash that is equally as ugly, and realistically more readily prepared to choose real violence.

They are using their positions of authority to influence/pressure young minds to step in sync with their own political views.
Re the bold ... This is just how the world works. Everyone does that. John Howard did it and we ended up with drunk bogans pissing on at the dawn service at Gallipoli.

Re the rest

You mean like they did with #BLM?

That only needed yet another spontaneous outbreak of violence by an oppressed community (look at the Minneapolis arrest rate graph up thread if you want proof,) for about the third or forth time since US police went fully ballistic about a decade ago to gain any momentum.

Or do you mean people are gonna be so annoyed by trivial university bullshit that they will start a violent fascistic backlash?

Special Consideration has been part of the university landscape for decades. There are formal processes for assessing each application and it is rare to change a grade - more commonly, students will be allowed to take further / supplementary assessment.

Nothing to see here, folks.
It's by no means a perfect system. I unsuccessfully applied to get my maths results upgraded based on my personal circumstance of being sh*t at maths. Can't believe those know it all academic types knocked it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back