Play Nice Random Chat Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I mean no but I really don’t want to just be describing a jacket over the phone just for the person to not like it, like I’ll do anything for them like I did running around for him but even my manager was like yeah we can’t approve of that just because of the risk.
Can't you just tell him what to google?

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I mean no but I really don’t want to just be describing a jacket over the phone just for the person to not like it, like I’ll do anything for them like I did running around for him but even my manager was like yeah we can’t approve of that just because of the risk.
I meant the bit where you assume all older people dont know tech. Helens 90 year old father can vode in cobol. Meanwhile plenty of teenagers are tech novices.

I meant the bit where you assume all older people dont know tech. Helens 90 year old father can vode in cobol. Meanwhile plenty of teenagers are tech novices.
I didn’t assume all but okay ugh. Are you assuming that I’m assuming? Seems like you’re the one assuming 😆

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Disclaimer, I wouldn't vote for this pants shitting campaigner if he promised to cure every ill in the world.

Is his history of continual lying going to make a difference in the upcoming election? I think it will, but that might be wishful thinking.

Thoughts?

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So the following is a brief summation of why she’s transphobic,

In December 2019, Rowling tweeted her support for Maya Forstater, a British woman who initially lost her employment tribunal case (Maya Forstater v Centre for Global Development) but won on appeal against her former employer, the Center for Global Development, after her contract was not renewed due to her comments about transgender people.[258][259][260]

On 6 June 2020, Rowling tweeted criticism of the phrase "people who menstruate",[261] and stated "If sex isn't real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives."[262] Rowling's tweets were criticised by GLAAD, who called them "cruel" and "anti-trans".[263][264] Some members of the cast of the Harry Potter film series criticised Rowling's views or spoke out in support of trans rights, including Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Bonnie Wright, and Katie Leung, as did Fantastic Beasts lead actor Eddie Redmayne and the fansites MuggleNet and The Leaky Cauldron.[265][266][267] Actress Noma Dumezweni (who played Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child) initially expressed support for Rowling but backtracked following backlash.[268]

On 10 June 2020, Rowling published a 3,600-word essay on her website in response to the criticism.[269][270] Rowling again wrote that many women consider terms like "people who menstruate" to be demeaning. She said that she was a survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault, and stated that "When you throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he's a woman ... then you open the door to any and all men who wish to come inside", while stating that most trans people were vulnerable and deserved protection.[271]Following up into who is at risk in women's toilets, Reuters stated that it was trans women who were more vulnerable, and that 200 municipalities which allowed trans people to use women's shelters reported no rise in any violence as a result.[272][273] Rowling's essay was criticised by, among others, the children's charity Mermaids (who support transgender and gender non-conforming children and their parents) and the feminist gender theoristJudith Butler.[274][275][276][277] Rowling has been referred to as a trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF) on multiple occasions, though she rejects the label.[278] Rowling has received support from actors Robbie Coltrane[279] and Brian Cox,[280] and some feminists,[281] such as activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali[282] and radical feminist Julie Bindel.[281] The essay was nominated by the BBC for their annual Russell Prize for best writing.[283][284]

Not really that damning tbh. The hate seems way overblown.
Read the 3600 word essay referred to. It is quite clear that she is transphobic, parallel to the "some of my best friends are gay but marriage is between a man and woman" arguments you used to hear.
I doubt that TERF is really applicable because her brand of feminism seems quite anodyne, anything but radical.
It seems to be s**t she cops on Twitter that is really pissing her off, but I don't use it and don't really understand it. People shouldn't be directing threats and abuse at her, but I don't see an issue with calling her out for her transphobia.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Read the 3600 word essay referred to. It is quite clear that she is transphobic, parallel to the "some of my best friends are gay but marriage is between a man and woman" arguments you used to hear.
I doubt that TERF is really applicable because her brand of feminism seems quite anodyne, anything but radical.
It seems to be sh*t she cops on Twitter that is really pissing her off, but I don't use it and don't really understand it. People shouldn't be directing threats and abuse at her, but I don't see an issue with calling her out for her transphobia.

Not going to lie, as good of a writer as she is, I’m not reading it.

Have you?

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I honestly don't think she's that good a writer either. I mean she's not terrible - especially compared to some other bestselling authors (looking at you Matthew Reilly) - but she is competent at best. I read the first two books because I have children and then I kind of stalled until they were capable of reading them on their own. They love them though, along with a kazillion other people, so what do I know?

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I honestly don't think she's that good a writer either. I mean she's not terrible - especially compared to some other bestselling authors (looking at you Matthew Reilly) - but she is competent at best. I read the first two books because I have children and then I kind of stalled until they were capable of reading them on their own. They love them though, along with a kazillion other people, so what do I know?
She's not a great natural, technical writer but there's no doubting her storytelling abilities and her imagination.

Looks like Nick Riewoldt's strategy of making a meal of Grand Final appearances has finally paid off:

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So my work tried to hush up my departure in what seemingly appears to be a tantrum on their behalf.

No farewell or fanfare like all of the other staff get, and the staffing group are now pretty pissed off at my treatment (and have organised a farewell regardless). Many are thinking that if one of the best workers they have can go from hero to zero this quickly, then it can happen to anyone.

Many of my colleagues have checked in with me presuming that my mental health would have been affected but it truly hasn't been affected at all.

Never let your self worth be determined by how your work sees you. People are petty, and the adult world is still very much like high school. Work is work, and friends and family are friends and family. You can make valued and treasured friendships at work but never be lured into thinking the organisation itself is anything like a family.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So my work tried to hush up my departure in what seemingly appears to be a tantrum on their behalf.

No farewell or fanfare like all of the other staff get, and the staffing group are now pretty pissed off at my treatment (and have organised a farewell regardless). Many are thinking that if one of the best workers they have can go from hero to zero this quickly, then it can happen to anyone.

Many of my colleagues have checked in with me presuming that my mental health would have been affected but it truly hasn't been affected at all.

Never let your self worth be determined by how your work sees you. People are petty, and the adult world is still very much like high school. Work is work, and friends and family are friends and family. You can make valued and treasured friendships at work but never be lured into thinking the organisation itself is anything like a family.
apologies, I must have missed the thread; everything ok?

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Never let your self worth be determined by how your work sees you. People are petty, and the adult world is still very much like high school.

Such a good attitude.

Very few workplaces actually care for their workers when push comes to shove. You have to look after no.1.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
apologies, I must have missed the thread; everything ok?

Thanks mate. Everything is awesome. Starting a new job with significantly better pay and what seems to be a better work life balance, my health is flying for the first time in ten years, and my family are moving back close to me soon.

I posted earlier in the thread about how my workplace had gotten incredibly toxic incredibly quickly, and I made the decision to bail before the ship sinks.

But honestly I'm dandy. I was more just trying to address the point that so many of my colleagues were concerned that this latest snub would have affected me badly (and I dearly appreciate them checking in) which I guess shows a general mindset across society that most people are probably too invested in their workplaces.

Dec 7, 2011
Wentz Wagon
AFL Club
North Melbourne

100% shows you made the right decision mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back