Play Nice Random Chat Thread VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL - I did security for him once.

It was in Lismore during Naidoc week or the fisrt ever reconcilliation week or something. Decades ago, in the late 90s. They'd played just after Butterboy record came out.

After the gig and everyone in the place wanted to meet Archie and Ruby and shake their hand and what not. And he's a .... well was a shy fella, really. It was hectic hey cos we had to be friendly and really cool but still not let anyone in. It was incredible how much people loved him. Lismore is in Bundjalung country and that night during the gig a Bundjalung Elder came out and said "we claim Archie as one of us up here even tho he was born down south" and recited his lineage and even Archie was a little shocked at how well they knew it.

It was really hopeful time back then. Its hard to put a finger on it but I think we've lost something since.

I never knew him that well, just from around a bit in Melbourne and I'd see him ever now and then, up here or even at the airport (where he had to go do some record business and turned down an invite to go get on it.) A mate of mine made him a bong once. It was two feet tall made of this beautiful ornate jar and some plastic piping that he painted with this incredible desert scene. Archie not being from the desert but that didn't matter. That was before he'd even put out a record. He still remembered it years later whenever we'd catch up. Even years after he stopped choofing (afaik anyway).

There was something about him, he'd done it hard yet still never stopped trying to be the best he could and bring the best he could out of the people around him. And I know he was tough and could fight okay but after the 90s he always had the most gentle presence.

RIP

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
give the man in the teal shirt a victoria cross right now and he bravely uses young terrified girl as a human shield.

297153559_5370171756409961_6445833315776993458_n.jpg

HELLSBELLS

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Fellow Shinboners,

Mates son Morgs is trying to fund a trip to Tennant Creek to run a football tournament for indigenous kids.
Morgs is a great kid doing great things.

Any donation would be appreciated

Last edited:
Listening to the audiobook “the gulag archipelago” at the moment. Absolutely brutal
Solzhenitsyn was an absolutely amazing writer. What happened to him was chilling and he somehow managed to get it onto the page and convey it to the reader.
I've never got into audio books. Always preferred books or kindle.
Will have to check it out.

Damage Done is also a great read. About an aussie that gets caught trafficking heroin back in the 70's or 80's and spends 10 years in the Bangkok Hilton
Sounds interesting.

Have you read Shantaram?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bengrina

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2012
West Baltimore
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has anyone seen Better Call Saul? I was a huge fan of Breaking Bad and watched the first 3 seasons of BCS but it was just too slow. I've heard it gets really good from season 4 onwards?

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Abridged.

We had to read the crucible. Would have much rather have read The Gulag archipelago, though at that age I probably wouldn’t have cared to read it anyway.

I was too much of a smart arse looking for a laugh. Just like how we had to describe why the character in the crucible stretched his arms out when he was being tried, I knew the answer was that he was doing it to represent Jesus on the cross, I said that he put his arms out to say “what the * bro” got a few cheep laughs and some detentions…that I never turned up for. Jeez I was such a little prick.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Solzhenitsyn was an absolutely amazing writer. What happened to him was chilling and he somehow managed to get it onto the page and convey it to the reader.
I've never got into audio books. Always preferred books or kindle.

Sounds interesting.

Have you read Shantaram?

I listen to audiobooks while working on my own or driving, or working on the house. Makes boring tasks so much better. Sometimes I’ll look for things to do just so I can listen.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will have to check it out.

Damage Done is also a great read. About an aussie that gets caught trafficking heroin back in the 70's or 80's and spends 10 years in the Bangkok Hilton

It’s basically a cautionary tale about a captured society, some would say mass hypnosis. People that think they’re doing something for the greater good are capable of extreme evil because they can tell themselves that they’re serving a greater purpose.

It’s really chilling because you can see how society can be captured like that.

It’s basically a cautionary tale about a captured society, some would say mass hypnosis. People that think they’re doing something for the greater good are capable of extreme evil because they can tell themselves that they’re serving a greater purpose.

It’s really chilling because you can see how society can be captured like that.
Darkness at Noon is good like that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back