Play Nice Random Chat Thread VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ears they grow on the back of mice are delightful sliced and stir fried.
Like little furry mushrooms.......

It does sound gross, but if they could grow meat thatā€™s exactly the same as youā€™d take from an animal youā€™ve just slaughtered, then Iā€™d give it a go.

That fake meat is for the tip though. Very, very bad for you.

I don't think fake meat is bad for you, it's just not usually any healthier than the thing it's emulating.

I quite enjoy burgers/sausages and "chicken" made from fake meat, but every fake seafood I've tried has been dogshit lol

Havenā€™t posted about my son in a while because I am conscious of not spamming. But since I last posted, heā€™s:
  • been officially discharged from the hospital in the home program (a day which at many stages we thought would never come)
  • Had his first few orientation days of daycare (starting full days next week!)
  • Had a mini family vacation (cute snap below with my daughter)
  • Got his dedication coming up in a few weeks
  • Got his first birthday a few weeks after that
This will probably be my last post on him. Thanks to everyone for the love and support, it means more to me than you could imagine. Who said bigfooty is all bad!

BD9F274B-748E-4F5C-BBC1-8B6EAAAF1D22.jpeg

So for the update (for gokangas, The acurate one and co) Dad is now in a much better mental and physical state. Ideal no, but much better.

Him nearly dying set me off and I ended up in emergency myself for self harm (see Depression/Anxiety thread), but he is recovering really well.

Its a huge stress for me as I consider my parents friends not just family, so hopefully some smooth sailing for a while would be ideal.

Hopefully I handle things better in future, as we are all thrown "curve balls" in life, it's how to handle them is my issue I need to work on.

MLC

So for the update (for gokangas, The acurate one and co) Dad is now in a much better mental and physical state. Ideal no, but much better.

Him nearly dying set me off and I ended up in emergency myself for self harm (see Depression/Anxiety thread), but he is recovering really well.

Its a huge stress for me as I consider my parents friends not just family, so hopefully some smooth sailing for a while would be ideal.
Good to read the positives mate - take care.

I don't think fake meat is bad for you, it's just not usually any healthier than the thing it's emulating.

I quite enjoy burgers/sausages and "chicken" made from fake meat, but every fake seafood I've tried has been dogshit lol
Lab grown meat i can accept and is sold as a product for people with moral concerns for eating livestock .

Meat substitutes an the other hand i have an issue with being marketed as meat, i really dont see how you can market a vegatable as meat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Havenā€™t posted about my son in a while because I am conscious of not spamming. But since I last posted, heā€™s:
  • been officially discharged from the hospital in the home program (a day which at many stages we thought would never come)
  • Had his first few orientation days of daycare (starting full days next week!)
  • Had a mini family vacation (cute snap below with my daughter)
  • Got his dedication coming up in a few weeks
  • Got his first birthday a few weeks after that
This will probably be my last post on him. Thanks to everyone for the love and support, it means more to me than you could imagine. Who said bigfooty is all bad!

View attachment 1472041
Fantastic progres MrN. Everyone loves a posative story.

They literally have to kill every living creature to create the fields to produce the food of vegans. Itā€™s bizarre when you think about it.

Regenerative farming would obviously be ideal but itā€™s just not achievable on a large enough scale.
Not just vegans. Some farmland you check the soil and its dead, the only thing keeping the plants alive is the fert they use. Wheat, which we all eat is a no go zone for life, some macca farms there aren't even ants on the ground. I've heard similar stories about other crops like corn but I don't understand how it works - how the * does everything survive?

You compare that to organic farming where the soil is the thing the farmers work on - any crop will do once the soil is good - and even good pasture for stock is the same. The best farmers grow grass and let animals live on it. You can farm and regenerate land. its just not a commercially viable option when farming is done at such huge scales. Small scale farmland in developing nations is actually the most productive farmland in the world and the best looked after usually, but those people grow subsistence farming first and sell their surpluses...

All the s**t you hear about Bill Gates ******* everyone with vaccines etc etc, what you never hear is the way his group buys up farmland in developing nations and tries to make is more "productive" ie commercially viable. It becomes less productive in terms of calories and nutrient production but makes more money (and supports less human and other life). I suspect that anti vaccine stuff about Gates is something his PR people do just to lump any other criticism of his dodgy practices in that category of bullshit.

Veganism is huge tho. Compared to 25 years ago the range of stuff out there is massive.

Hopefully I handle things better in future, as we are all thrown "curve balls" in life, it's how to handle them is my issue I need to work on.

MLC
Good to hear your dad's improving mate.

Not just vegans. Some farmland you check the soil and its dead, the only thing keeping the plants alive is the fert they use. Wheat, which we all eat is a no go zone for life, some macca farms there aren't even ants on the ground. I've heard similar stories about other crops like corn but I don't understand how it works - how the * does everything survive?

You compare that to organic farming where the soil is the thing the farmers work on - any crop will do once the soil is good - and even good pasture for stock is the same. The best farmers grow grass and let animals live on it. You can farm and regenerate land. its just not a commercially viable option when farming is done at such huge scales. Small scale farmland in developing nations is actually the most productive farmland in the world and the best looked after usually, but those people grow subsistence farming first and sell their surpluses...

All the s*t you hear about Bill Gates ****** everyone with vaccines etc etc, what you never hear is the way his group buys up farmland in developing nations and tries to make is more "productive" ie commercially viable. It becomes less productive in terms of calories and nutrient production but makes more money (and supports less human and other life). I suspect that anti vaccine stuff about Gates is something his PR people do just to lump any other criticism of his dodgy practices in that category of bullshit.

Veganism is huge tho. Compared to 25 years ago the range of stuff out there is massive.

Yep itā€™s a worry. Then thereā€™s all the issues that fertiliser, pesticides, and weed killers bring. Monsanto has giant swaths of land where they store all that deadly s**t. I think a heap of it is somewhere in Cambodia or Vietnam, canā€™t remember exactly. Thereā€™s also whole towns in the US that are basically funded by Monsanto because they store their waste there. Itā€™s wild s**t mate. I wish I could remember the journalists name that investigated it, went to have a look via canoe because they wouldnā€™t let him drive in (this is in the US, the Asian countries didnā€™t care that he was there to check it out) and a bunch of locals came out on a boat with guns and forced him to turn around.

Iā€™m pretty sure Gates and Bezos neck and neck as the largest farm owners in the US?

Yep itā€™s a worry. Then thereā€™s all the issues that fertiliser, pesticides, and weed killers bring. Monsanto has giant swaths of land where they store all that deadly s**t. I think a heap of it is somewhere in Cambodia or Vietnam, canā€™t remember exactly. Thereā€™s also whole towns in the US that are basically funded by Monsanto because they store their waste there. Itā€™s wild s**t mate. I wish I could remember the journalists name that investigated it, went to have a look via canoe because they wouldnā€™t let him drive in (this is in the US, the Asian countries didnā€™t care that he was there to check it out) and a bunch of locals came out on a boat with guns and forced him to turn around.

Iā€™m pretty sure Gates and Bezos neck and neck as the largest farm owners in the US?
Its like the old share price trap, componies are foreever trying to inctease their share price, this yskes profits, however profits sttract more investers so therefore they need to increase profits again to satisfy the current investers and it attracts more again...

Bit like broudscale farming. Need to continue to increase production to make bigger profits, then need bigger farms to justify bigger machinary. Rince repeat.

But pastures can get tired from just plain neglect as well as pushing them to hard. Our current properties pastures are in a lot worse condition to our last, simply because the previous owners did little other than sell hay off it for the lasts 8 years or so.

All the s*t you hear about Bill Gates ****** everyone with vaccines etc etc, what you never hear is the way his group buys up farmland in developing nations and tries to make is more "productive" ie commercially viable. It becomes less productive in terms of calories and nutrient production but makes more money (and supports less human and other life). I suspect that anti vaccine stuff about Gates is something his PR people do just to lump any other criticism of his dodgy practices in that category of bullshit.

Chook poo. On my now sadly gone farm, wherever the chickens had been for an extended time, 3, 4, 5 days depending on the state of the land, then not too long after, awesome beautiful grass :) Ideally, imo, run some cattle or sheep, then move 'em on, followed by the chooks, then let the land be. Small scale farming can do wonders. We had maybe 3 different flocks of up 500 in an area. FWIW, we also had a hectare fenced off and dedicated to 500 birds. Our huts inside that area were moved every 3 days. Our intention was to move the birds on after about 15 months, but after maybe 12 months, the hectare had been smashed to bits by the chooks and looked like the surface of the moon. That said, a further 12 months and the hectare was entirely green and overgrown :)

Chook poo. On my now sadly gone farm, wherever the chickens had been for an extended time, 3, 4, 5 days depending on the state of the land, then not too long after, awesome beautiful grass :) Ideally, imo, run some cattle or sheep, then move 'em on, followed by the chooks, then let the land be. Small scale farming can do wonders. We had maybe 3 different flocks of up 500 in an area. FWIW, we also had a hectare fenced off and dedicated to 500 birds. Our huts inside that area were moved every 3 days. Our intention was to move the birds on after about 15 months, but after maybe 12 months, the hectare had been smashed to bits by the chooks and looked like the surface of the moon. That said, a further 12 months and the hectare was entirely green and overgrown :)
500 birds seems a lot to me, how did you go with foxes?

There is a property down the road from us with caravans of isa browns.

Chook poo is awesome.

There is a reason they market it as Dynamic Lifter.

500 birds seems a lot to me, how did you go with foxes?

There is a property down the road from us with caravans of isa browns.
Wellllll, after the great fox attack of 2012, where we had 300 birds decimated to 173, we embarked on the Oddball path :) We got ourselves a couple of Maremma and they are beyond awesome. We had 2 Alpaca but got a pretty sh1t lesson in how they worked, and electric fencing seemed more a novelty than an obstacle. The maremma are twice as quick as a fox - the sheer bloodlust when watching a dog chasing a fox - that you have taken an instant hate of - is quite powerful. You can see them running full tilt, Wile E Coyote style, first it's the napkin, then the knife and fork ..... and either the fox gets to the fence before the dog gets him, or its curtains. We ended up with 3 Maremma, gorgeous beasts. Had a neighbour comment at how bad the rabbits were. I told him I hadn't seen a rabbit in years!! Actually, my cat liked rabbits too, he'd bring home 1 every few weeks .... headless of course :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back