Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

No and I've started having to ask her for updates rather than getting them without asking every 5 minutes. Either reality has started to hit or she's got bored with it or both. I'll ask her for one now..
I'm no expert, but my understanding of cryptocurrencies, eg. Bitcoin, is that they essentially are based on a false economy. An actual economy, for example the one that the AUD is based on, has a gold reserve, so that if the economy goes belly-up it still has some liquidity - it can function. Because cryptocurrencies belong to no economy they have no gold reserve. This means they inflate their own bubble based on a false economy. If it bursts that could be the end of it.

Caveat!: I'm no expert, at all.

I'd really like to invest in stuff if I had the money.

Yeah that's pretty much the gist I get as well from my limited investigations ghostdog. Also, there's no 'close' like a stock exchange (which crypto is more like rather than currency trading from what I can tell). It's happening 24/7.

Okay I just got a response. She's not too pleased. Was at $1900 24 hours ago and is now at $1600. Apparently Ripple nosediving is to blame.

Yeah that's pretty much the gist I get as well from my limited investigations ghostdog. Also, there's no 'close' like a stock exchange (which crypto is more like rather than currency trading from what I can tell). It's happening 24/7.

Okay I just got a response. She's not too pleased. Was at $1900 24 hours ago and is now at $1600. Apparently Ripple nosediving is to blame.
If you have money to play with and self-discipline it could be lucrative. Could also cause heart failure!

If you have money to play with and self-discipline it could be lucrative. Could also cause heart failure!
Self discipline and research and making informed investment decisions (as much as you can) just as you would with shares. She's just gambling though. As soon as she gets to $2000 she can cash out the original $1000 stake and then go for her life as it'll be just the 'winnings' she's playing with.

If she ends up flushing $1000 down the toilet though I'm going to have to figure out the best way to use that for furthering my own goals. I imagine her first piece of defensive manoeuvring will be something along the lines of pointing out how much money I've spent on beer over the years.. to which I would reply with something along the lines of at least I get something for my money. It would probably be all downhill from there..

No I'm not.

I would never.

My wife is an Italian/Irish hybrid so she gets angry really quickly and then wants to keep on fighting for an abnormally long time. I have often thought along those lines when she launches but I'd never utter it out loud, I'm not as dumb as I am stupid looking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Self discipline and research and making informed investment decisions (as much as you can) just as you would with shares. She's just gambling though. As soon as she gets to $2000 she can cash out the original $1000 stake and then go for her life as it'll be just the 'winnings' she's playing with.

If she ends up flushing $1000 down the toilet though I'm going to have to figure out the best way to use that for furthering my own goals. I imagine her first piece of defensive manoeuvring will be something along the lines of pointing out how much money I've spent on beer over the years.. to which I would reply with something along the lines of at least I get something for my money. It would probably be all downhill from there..
I'll be following the progress with interest, then. If it works out I might find myself doing something similar.

Moving house. It's astounding how much stuff we seem to have crammed into our current 60sqm apt.

After we moved about 7 years ago we gave Gumtree a flogging, then had a garage sale, then donated the rest to the charity bins.

My wife had lived in the old place (a 2 bedroom detached villa) for 7 years, me for 5 years, my only daughter was 3 when we moved. I have no idea how we fit everything in the old place as we seemingly couldn't fit everything in our new much bigger house that has much more storage.

No and I've started having to ask her for updates rather than getting them without asking every 5 minutes. Either reality has started to hit or she's got bored with it or both. I'll ask her for one now..

Market took a s**t in the last few days so that's when the updates would have stopped. A lot of new people have just been burned. Think penny stocks, that is what people have been buying. Good lesson that there is no such thing as free money with no risk.

Im pretty big into it but got in years ago. The underlying computer science behind some of the tech is very very good. The issue is like you said people are gambling, picking names or pictures.

Make sure you do monitor it though, its highly addictive.

Wifey is currently getting into crypto currency because the IT guys at her work are all into it. Apparently her boss has made a couple of million on it but keeps working just because 'he likes working'. :rolleyes:

I don't think she has any idea what she's doing though as she's basing her decisions on ones that are cheap and have a name or icon she likes. It just seems like gambling to me. Nevertheless I'm constantly being updated on which ones are going up or down and she's banging on about this one that has made her $200 since this morning. I don't understand how this stuff works at all and I've already told her last night I'm sick of hearing about it as it means nothing to me. She's like 'oh you'll care when I've made big money' and I'm like yeah you're right. I will care then so can you stop talking about it until that time?

My brother is heavily into it. And he's set me up with a few things too, but i trust him because he does a lot of research. He has to, because he doesn't have a lot of money to begin with. He's made 24k "profit" in 6 months owning about 8 or so different coins. Having said that, it's bloody EASY to get dudded.

And then, if you can see a crash coming and you want to cash out, it's really complicated and not instant at all.

You have to do the research.

Otherwise you'll just lose, or it's a waste of time because you're too late.

It's cool to be interested in it, but you're doing the right thing by being cautious. You may want to educate ourself on it further just to be able to talk to her about it better.

An actual economy, for example the one that the AUD is based on, has a gold reserve, so that if the economy goes belly-up it still has some liquidity

Nah mate, AUD is a fiat currency.

*EDIT* - sorry, already pointed out by others

Remove this Banner Ad

Back