Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Just found out my boss has been made redundant, and wont be the lone ranger.....

I have become immune to people being made redundant here which is quite sad. With so much work either being automated or off shored redundancies have become common place. I do wonder when I'll get a tap on the shoulder but if/when that happens I know I've got a 12 month payout waiting for me so it's not all bad news, it just creates pressure to find a new job in a timely manner (as all redundancies do).

I have become immune to people being made redundant here which is quite sad. With so much work either being automated or off shored redundancies have become common place. I do wonder when I'll get a tap on the shoulder but if/when that happens I know I've got a 12 month payout waiting for me so it's not all bad news, it just creates pressure to find a new job in a timely manner (as all redundancies do).

They've offshored his job (to the US of all places??!?). Haven't heard about ours, not worried, nothing I can do. Been here 20+ years so I'll be ok if it happens.

i have a question.

its assumed ..or i assume humans are all one species right? all one species maybe with different breeds.

in the animal kingdom you have many different species - and breeds of.

you may have like feline species, with breeds like lion, cheetah, house cat.. whatever.

So anyway

you get some species that have zero stamina but are very fast - like big cats. but youll never get a cat that can run all day

yet we have humans who can run 100m in 10 secs, and also humans that can run a 42km marathon.

is this weird? am i weird?
We were hunter gatherers who had to run long distances but also had to use bursts of speed. Although we can do both I am not sure that we excel in either compared to many other mammals. Camels, antelopes and some dogs are all at least twice as quick over the marathon distance. In sprinting we would get smashed. The tassie tiger really could run all day with its rolling gait and reputedly relied on wallabies becoming fatigued as it chased them down. That is some feat given the physiology of the macropods. But I also reckon that the tassie tiger could probably run quickly if required, not as quick as a cheetah but maybe as fast as us. None of this has anything to do with competing for bits of tin IMO, it's more about the evolution of species in a range of niches.

Last edited:
It's funny, and not to generalise... But generally the stronger species dominaes the weaker yeh?

How did it happen here that these weedy little white people dominated the big strong athletic African people from so long?
I think you should read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. He argues quite cogently that a lot of these differences in outcomes between races are a function of differences in geography, environment and the presence of certain large fauna, amplified by positive feedback loops. It's outrageously ambitious but nevertheless one of the best books I have read.

Last edited:
We were hunter gatherers who had to run long distances but also had to use bursts of speed. Although we can do both I am not sure that we excel in either compared to many other mammals. The tassie tiger really could run all day with its rolling gait and, in fact, relied on wallabies and kangaroos becoming fatigued as it chased them down. That is some feat given the physiology of the macropods. But I also reckon that the tassie tiger could probably run quickly if required, not as quick as a cheetah but maybe as fast as us. None of this has anything to do with competing for bits of tin IMO, it's more about the evolution of species in a range of niches.

So in a nutshell, the tassie tiger is now extinct because it tried to spread it's skills instead of putting all eggs in one basket and going with either burst speed or huge stamina. Tried to have it's wallaby and eat it too!

I think you should read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. He argues quite cogently that a lot of these differences in outcomes between races are a function of differences in geography, environment and the presence of certain large fauna, amplified by positive feedback loops. It's outrageously ambitious but nevertheless one of the best books I have read.

Hmm I haven't seen the book but think I recall watching a doco with the same name few years ago, big 6 parter. Wonder if based off the same work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm I haven't seen the book but think I recall watching a doco with the same name few years ago, big 6 parter. Wonder if based off the same work
It is, but I highly recommend the book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

You do see variance in other species, but they fill a far tighter evolutionary niche than we do, so any that don't conform to the physical qualities that niche demands will struggle to reproduce.

View attachment 338802

Was always going to get a rib.. but thats very sharp and direct!

This is a critical point on Lyons comeback.

To be in footy media you have to be forthright and make the big calls even if controversial.

He's dipped is toe in and recieved that. He might go back into the shell and not say anything important or worthwhile again for fear of that. Or he shakes it off and keeps going.

Heh. Why does he need to make a big call like that in pre-season? If it were round 1 I'd say different, however...
Because meedja.
Yep and yep.

I hope his next startling point is to question why Pendlebury didn't play against us. I mean FFS, if he couldn't break into that midfield then he's gone backwards at a rate of knots.

im not suggesting the call he made was correct - im suggesting that in that role you need to make the difficult or hard calls when they are there to be made. If something stops him from doing so and he ends up a fence sitter then dont bother.

im not suggesting the call he made was correct - im suggesting that in that role you need to make the difficult or hard calls when they are there to be made. If something stops him from doing so and he ends up a fence sitter then dont bother.
I'm suggesting that the call doesn't need to be made. It's pre-season. They have different plans for different players.

hey friends - ive been trying to cobble together a little blog/FB page.

Its a satirical local community news paper type thing about a fictional outer suburban estate.

I dont expect it to be ha ha funny as such, maybe more a cynical take on society and pop culture and the like (maybe slightly low brow)

Anyhow its very early stages (3 days in), im just seeing if it all works and whatever - stick your head in for a look if you are inclined, maybe give it a like or a follow or a comment if it resonates, ill probably post once a day while i have a head of steam..

https://www.facebook.com/HopetonHerald/

ultimate aim if it goes well would be to make a proper blogsite (maybe i could borrow help from people in the know in here?) but for now its just the rubbish ol FB page with nio access to fonts or bolds or anything.

https://hopetonherald.wordpress.com

cheers

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back