Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume you're calling those big grey possums bushies yeah?

Camping on the Glenelg River a ranger said how he was camping once and a possum was on the other side of the fire. The ranger flicked a couple of spuds out that had been cooking in foul and when he reached to grab one the possum jumped forward and bit his hand, latching on and not letting go. The only way to get it to release was getting a burning stick and putting it on its back.

We also shot one in a tree (on a farm, not in a national forest). No head shot but it took 5 bullets from a .22 to kill it. Tough buggars.

I remember rustling through my dad's collection of old footy records recently from the early '90s one day, and coming to the 'kidz' section where you could draw some picture and send it in to some address to be in the chance to win something shitty - probably a Maccas voucher or something.

I did briefly consider sending my entry 25 years late just because, well, I dunno it seemed like a good idea at the time.

hey friends - ive been trying to cobble together a little blog/FB page.

Its a satirical local community news paper type thing about a fictional outer suburban estate.

I dont expect it to be ha ha funny as such, maybe more a cynical take on society and pop culture and the like (maybe slightly low brow)

Anyhow its very early stages (3 days in), im just seeing if it all works and whatever - stick your head in for a look if you are inclined, maybe give it a like or a follow or a comment if it resonates, ill probably post once a day while i have a head of steam..

https://www.facebook.com/HopetonHerald/

ultimate aim if it goes well would be to make a proper blogsite (maybe i could borrow help from people in the know in here?) but for now its just the rubbish ol FB page with nio access to fonts or bolds or anything.

https://hopetonherald.wordpress.com

cheers

Loving today's update mate, I'm sure half the population would agree with it wholeheartedly.

keeping the theme of wild animals, i was walking down Merri Creek Monday, bopping away on my head phones when i looked down a saw a six foot black snake right next to my foot.

needless to say my pace increased; significantly.

keeping the theme of wild animals, i was walking down Merri Creek Monday, bopping away on my head phones when i looked down a saw a six foot black snake right next to my foot.

needless to say my pace increased; significantly.
The red bellied black snake is a most beautiful snake. I heard that they eat other snakes and if you have one in your yard you are unlikely to have other snakes, which is a good thing because their venom is not fatal.

I trod on a tiger snake in a forest off the black spur near Healesville once - that was unnerving to say the least

I trod on a tiger snake
Lucky man to walk away from that.

When I was a kid we used to occasionally walk the perimeter of the local golf course looking for stray balls and on one occasion were walking through some medium grass and I just happened to look where I was about to put my next step to see a tiger snake curled up sunning itself. I would have stepped square on it too.

hey friends - ive been trying to cobble together a little blog/FB page.

Its a satirical local community news paper type thing about a fictional outer suburban estate.

I dont expect it to be ha ha funny as such, maybe more a cynical take on society and pop culture and the like (maybe slightly low brow)

Anyhow its very early stages (3 days in), im just seeing if it all works and whatever - stick your head in for a look if you are inclined, maybe give it a like or a follow or a comment if it resonates, ill probably post once a day while i have a head of steam..

https://www.facebook.com/HopetonHerald/

ultimate aim if it goes well would be to make a proper blogsite (maybe i could borrow help from people in the know in here?) but for now its just the rubbish ol FB page with nio access to fonts or bolds or anything.

https://hopetonherald.wordpress.com

cheers

Absolutely loving your work mate, its getting some good feedback from people I've pointed in your direction.

Keep up the good work you are a natural.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I was a kid we used to occasionally walk the perimeter of the local golf course looking for stray balls and on one occasion were walking through some medium grass and I just happened to look where I was about to put my next step to see a tiger snake curled up sunning itself. I would have stepped square on it too.
I was wondering around aimlessly looking at stuff in mountain ash forest with a technician 10 meters up a mountain ash tree with his tree climbing spurs on fitting a dendrometer band. He heard me scream in an embarrassing high pitched voice 'get away, get away, get away'. I jumped back screaming this as the snake reared up and then slid off.

there is a story that my parents like to tell of when we were kids at a campsite. I was too young to really remember it but We had ran off to play cricket or Frisbee or something with some other kids at the campsite just before dark and had been playing for 15mins when all the adults had jumped up and were waving and ranting at us. Apparently we just ignored them to the point when they came sprinting over grabbed us and carted us over to the tents.

We had been playing around a snake in the longer grass without even knowing it. A miracle no one was bitten.

Absolutely loving your work mate, its getting some good feedback from people I've pointed in your direction.

Keep up the good work you are a natural.

Cheers mate, appreciate the feedback.

Sometimes it feels you are slugging away to no one cause you might get no likes or comments but it's good to hear ppl like it.

I had 49 views yesterday but only 14 today so still haven't found that habit click.

Funny how stuff just comes to me when I think I have nothing. Felt stuck for a piece the other night, went to play tennis and the president had a go at me for not watering the court and this and that.... Came home and the lawn bowls story was born.

Steps into Faraday cage - adds extra tinfoil - looks both ways to make sure coast is clear

So years ago we removed 1c and 2c pieces from circulation - installed a round up/round down system.

The crux being that in the end swings and round a bouts would make you about even in the end, some round ups, some round downs.

Then Moon got to thinking...

Every time you go into a store or somewhere to buy something, whats the price end in?

... .99 or ... .98

How many times have you ever seen ... .01 or ... .02 ? NEVER.

98% of the time its the under version.

So every single time you buy, you are losing one or two cents, but never gaining it the other way.

Big deal, you might make 20 purchases in a week, lost 30 cents..

but what about extrapolating it to the millions of purchases a week or year?

that millions and millions of cents..

Who is pocking our millions of cents?

Steps out of Faraday cage.

puts tinfoil back under the griller.

Steps into Faraday cage - adds extra tinfoil - looks both ways to make sure coast is clear

So years ago we removed 1c and 2c pieces from circulation - installed a round up/round down system.

The crux being that in the end swings and round a bouts would make you about even in the end, some round ups, some round downs.

Every time you go into a store or somewhere to buy something, whats the price end in?

... .99 or ... .98

So every single time you buy, you are losing one or two cents, but never gaining it the other way.

If you buy two things for 1.98 in the same transaction then you're paying 3.96, so it rounds down? And also most people use plastic these days so you pay the exact amount of cents.

... .99 or ... .98

Tactic has been used for ages, long before the 1c and 2c was removed from circulation.

Just a sales tactic, we read left to right so the first number resonates with us more.

See a car for $40,000 or a car for $39,990. The attention is on the first number.

As to who keeps the money, the business's

EDIT- also what Fly said. huge amount of payments are electronic these days.

I scam 2 cents of petrol every time I fill up. I fill up about once every four weeks these days, so I am saving myself the princely sum of 26 cents a year.

STICKING IT TO DA MAN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back