Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

ok i have one...

First off, we are not friendly with our neighbours - its not that we have had an argument, there has just never been contact, it is what it is.

Ive attempted to say hello a few times to the people across the road but i get donuts in return, there is obvious tension.

We live on a fairly tight street, as we are close to the train station we get alot of cars parked for the day. So many that they have had to make one side of the road no standing to let traffic through, any time you are driving you usually have to stop and do the wave to let a car go by. What helps less is that it is on a little bend , its a very awkward little area.

home.jpg
as pictured here our house has the no standing out front, but we have a long drive so its fine, however directly opposite our drive are parked cars, generally the cars of the people the live opposite on the corner. They have a behind fence car port but i assume choose not to use it funnily enough as its too difficuclt to back out of...

every time we need to reverse out, or even drive in we have to mount the gutter on a sharp angle becasuse there is no swing room - it is what it is, so we just do it, and when backing out we are used to just cutting across the gutter to get out. The road is so narrow if we went stright back out we would be touching their car door whilst the front of our car is still on our cross over.

as i said, its bloody annoying but it is what it is.

so we went on holidays last year, had the inlaws stay over, father inlaw dont pull no punches - he verbally had a go at them - why would you park there for ya dick head? ect ect - raised tensions.

but had no affect, still park there. Then my parensts were over about 2 months later, my mums friend reverses into their car door - destroyyed the door. insurance fixed, no issue. but, car remains there.

this weekend my parents are over, dad reveres into their just fixed car, again....

seriously, its just become a game. They feel like its their right to be able to park infront of their house (it probably is) even though its dangerous for us to get in and out of our driveway. They wont give in now.

We have contacted the council and asked to make the bend a no standing zone.... they said, oh we sent out a letter last year putting it to a street vote - we only had one reply so it stays..

i asked when said letter was sent as we must have missed it?

oh, it was december 23rd or something

clearly a time when most people were away or busy.

anyway - what to do? bill them for my new tyres for constantly having to mount the gutter? or just keep hitting their car?

clearly they have a righht to park there, there is no sign.. but its the vibe, its mabo.. its.. you know, not neighbourly!

On the train to work. For the last four stations, I've watched a bloke choose to stand right in the door, inevitably have to move at each station so the masses can get on, and then...inexplicably move right back to the door so that the process keeps repeating itself.

Why, friendo, would you not just stay clear of the door and save yourself from moving and more importantly from being a pest? People puzzle me.

ok i have one...

First off, we are not friendly with our neighbours - its not that we have had an argument, there has just never been contact, it is what it is.

Ive attempted to say hello a few times to the people across the road but i get donuts in return, there is obvious tension.

We live on a fairly tight street, as we are close to the train station we get alot of cars parked for the day. So many that they have had to make one side of the road no standing to let traffic through, any time you are driving you usually have to stop and do the wave to let a car go by. What helps less is that it is on a little bend , its a very awkward little area.

View attachment 371036
as pictured here our house has the no standing out front, but we have a long drive so its fine, however directly opposite our drive are parked cars, generally the cars of the people the live opposite on the corner. They have a behind fence car port but i assume choose not to use it funnily enough as its too difficuclt to back out of...

every time we need to reverse out, or even drive in we have to mount the gutter on a sharp angle becasuse there is no swing room - it is what it is, so we just do it, and when backing out we are used to just cutting across the gutter to get out. The road is so narrow if we went stright back out we would be touching their car door whilst the front of our car is still on our cross over.

as i said, its bloody annoying but it is what it is.

so we went on holidays last year, had the inlaws stay over, father inlaw dont pull no punches - he verbally had a go at them - why would you park there for ya dick head? ect ect - raised tensions.

but had no affect, still park there. Then my parensts were over about 2 months later, my mums friend reverses into their car door - destroyyed the door. insurance fixed, no issue. but, car remains there.

this weekend my parents are over, dad reveres into their just fixed car, again....

seriously, its just become a game. They feel like its their right to be able to park infront of their house (it probably is) even though its dangerous for us to get in and out of our driveway. They wont give in now.

We have contacted the council and asked to make the bend a no standing zone.... they said, oh we sent out a letter last year putting it to a street vote - we only had one reply so it stays..

i asked when said letter was sent as we must have missed it?

oh, it was december 23rd or something

clearly a time when most people were away or busy.

anyway - what to do? bill them for my new tyres for constantly having to mount the gutter? or just keep hitting their car?

clearly they have a righht to park there, there is no sign.. but its the vibe, its mabo.. its.. you know, not neighbourly!
Probably not much that can be done. Doubt they'd stump up.

That's a pathetic time of year to do the vote though.

On the train to work. For the last four stations, I've watched a bloke choose to stand right in the door, inevitably have to move at each station so the masses can get on, and then...inexplicably move right back to the door so that the process keeps repeating itself.

Why, friendo, would you not just stay clear of the door and save yourself from moving and more importantly from being a pest? People puzzle me.
I can only assume he's unfamiliar with the line and doesn't know when he needs to get off.

Incidentally, I love the Craigieburn line/Essendon station because 99% of the time the train doors open up on one side at Essendon station (RH side for city bound) and then for the rest of the way into the city it's all on the other side (LH side), so I can just wait until everyone piles in and then just rest against the door that won't open again.

Pester the council about putting it to a vote again at a time when people aren't away on holidays/concerned with other things.

I can't imagine the neighbours would be happy to keep having their car repaired, nor their insurance company.

if they didnt want their car hit they could maybe use their driveway or the other side of their house on the opposite corner?

anyway, we have never hit it - i guess thats something

That looks remarkably similar to the situation we have in our area. Identical as your picture but we are parked down the same street your neighbour is on. People park on both sides of that street and on the curve.

Im pretty sure the garbage truck a few weeks ago couldn't actually get down the road and didn't actually do the area that day.

We have been there 6 months and its already driving me absolutely batty. There is a couple I think that runs a home personal training thing out of their garage too so god forbid if people drive to that they are parking on the road as well as the other residents.

Yeah I get that. It's weird. Maybe get a tow bar put on and then just keep hitting it. They'll get the message sooner or later.

they are both paramedics too, sometimes they are on call and park the ambulence there! god forbid we hit that and destroy a 1 million dollar piece of aparatus.

ill have a heart attack on the spot and need to use it

if they didnt want their car hit they could maybe use their driveway or the other side of their house on the opposite corner?

anyway, we have never hit it - i guess thats something

Don't start me on neighbours!!!!:mad:

I know this might sound uncomfortable but it might save you a shitload of cash one day (especially if you ever hit the Ambulance) but.....you could knock on the door and talk to them about this.

I know you said they've basically given you nothing whilst you've been living there but maybe if you explain your situation, that you don't want to hit their car, that you like to help them avoid any future hassles like friends or inlaws hitting their car (their insurance premiums/excess will go through the roof - amiright Harlequin?) and remove all doubt.

The ball is firmly in their court, they can choose to agree or ignore, it's on them. You've also set the standard for being 'neighbourly.'

That's a good thing and a moral win if nothing else and tbh it sounds like that might be the only win on the cards.:thumbsu:

look, i never saw an episode of neighbours where paul robinson reverses into toadys car, or charlene clipping todd landers car whilst learning on her l's

they have been there atleast 30 years in a tiny cul de saq, yet, not one minor car related dent or disagreement.

not even a cricket ball through a car window

i thought it was supposed to be true to life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you imagine something like this today? A rack of hanging meats? :D

Pillows? Blankets? Leg room? Elbow room? Plenty of room for my 6 bags of carry on luggage? A dude just holding a razor sharp knife right next to those innocent looking but all too untrustworthy passengers?

No wonder flying used to cost a mint. I bet you could get decent champagne and cognac too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back