Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of an odd one here regarding some noisy/shift as * neighbours across the road from my house.

I've been living where I am now for roughly 4.5 years. We live on a wide road, a bit of a main thoroughfare here in Ballarat.
Over the past two years we've noticed that a house across the road from us seems to have a lot of very VERY loud parties, sometimes mid-week and into the early hours of the morning. Not great when you've got kids you're trying to get to sleep, let alone yourselves. These parties seem to occur roughly on twice a month basis which is awesome.... That being said shifty as hell people in shitty cars (all beat up, no number plates etc) seem to come and go at all hours of the day and night, people yelling, carrying gas tanks en masse into the property every now and again. Then the place goes dead quiet for maybe two weeks. Then it all starts up again. Cars visiting at all hours, shonky customers, parking wherever they like, parties, etc.

The cops have been there once before, for whatever reason I don't know? I've called the cops twice but both times no one showed up. That being said within 10 to 15 minutes of me calling everyone who was at the house ran out like rats from a sinking ship and shot through. Scanner app in their phones perhaps?

Recently I've had an absolute gut full. I'm over this house. Recently two guys were loudly swearing and fighting out the front after 11pm on a Sunday night. Woke up my kids who came running into our room terrified. So I've started recording licence plates, car types and calling crime stoppers.
I've called 3 times now, but damn I just want the cops to turn up and turn this house upside down.

Am I wasting my time?

ok i have one...

First off, we are not friendly with our neighbours - its not that we have had an argument, there has just never been contact, it is what it is.

Ive attempted to say hello a few times to the people across the road but i get donuts in return, there is obvious tension.

We live on a fairly tight street, as we are close to the train station we get alot of cars parked for the day. So many that they have had to make one side of the road no standing to let traffic through, any time you are driving you usually have to stop and do the wave to let a car go by. What helps less is that it is on a little bend , its a very awkward little area.

View attachment 371036
as pictured here our house has the no standing out front, but we have a long drive so its fine, however directly opposite our drive are parked cars, generally the cars of the people the live opposite on the corner. They have a behind fence car port but i assume choose not to use it funnily enough as its too difficuclt to back out of...

every time we need to reverse out, or even drive in we have to mount the gutter on a sharp angle becasuse there is no swing room - it is what it is, so we just do it, and when backing out we are used to just cutting across the gutter to get out. The road is so narrow if we went stright back out we would be touching their car door whilst the front of our car is still on our cross over.

as i said, its bloody annoying but it is what it is.

so we went on holidays last year, had the inlaws stay over, father inlaw dont pull no punches - he verbally had a go at them - why would you park there for ya dick head? ect ect - raised tensions.

but had no affect, still park there. Then my parensts were over about 2 months later, my mums friend reverses into their car door - destroyyed the door. insurance fixed, no issue. but, car remains there.

this weekend my parents are over, dad reveres into their just fixed car, again....

seriously, its just become a game. They feel like its their right to be able to park infront of their house (it probably is) even though its dangerous for us to get in and out of our driveway. They wont give in now.

We have contacted the council and asked to make the bend a no standing zone.... they said, oh we sent out a letter last year putting it to a street vote - we only had one reply so it stays..

i asked when said letter was sent as we must have missed it?

oh, it was december 23rd or something

clearly a time when most people were away or busy.

anyway - what to do? bill them for my new tyres for constantly having to mount the gutter? or just keep hitting their car?

clearly they have a righht to park there, there is no sign.. but its the vibe, its mabo.. its.. you know, not neighbourly!
Do you speak to any other neighbours? It looks like a potential hazard having a car that close to the corner. Maybe a few more complaints might help.

Our house has recently become a no standing zone in a very similar situation and position due to the local hospital introducing paid parking. The overflow is going into the neighbouring streets.

We just reverse in, opposite has been a building site for over 2 years so parking is very tight all the time. However our driveway is quite wide compared to yours.

Our next door neighbour (on the left in your photo) didn't want restrictions in front of their house and as a result they now have a nice pole out the front (with no standing pointing towards our house) so they can't easily park on the grass like they used to. They have asked if we would like to complain but we don't want a sign either and would rather have restrictions. They would have been better off with the original proposal from the council.

Apropos of nothing really apart from a story about entitled dickheads the corner is a roundabout. Sometimes people are parking too close to the entrance and exit of the roundabout so the drivers have to go very close to (or over) the traffic islands that are on the approach/exit. Our neighbour's son has a Lamborghini (very wide and low) and he got stuck one day, he leaned on his horn for 5 minutes until someone came out of a nearby house and got colourfully abused, whereupon he was told in no uncertain terms to complain to the hospital as they were not resident's cars.

His family I believe are in the concreting business, draw what conclusions you will from that...

Thought this was interesting.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/c...ill-be-broke-in-10-years-20170524-gwc8gt.html

The death of Uber: Australian investor predicts company will be broke in 10 years
One of Australia's wealthiest and most high profile investors, Hamish Douglass, appears to have engaged in "new economy heresy" – calling out the ride sharing company Uber as being a Ponzi scheme and one that will be broke in 10 years.
----
So why does Douglass see problems with the underlying business?

He pointed to the high-cost owner-driver model of Uber's supply side and the almost "valueless" user base. And even in the sharing market there has been no shortage of new competitors. In addition to the now-defunct US operator Sidecar, companies like Lyft, Curb, Southeast Asia-based Grab, India's Ola, have all started to eat into the ride-hailing market share, becoming huge competitors for Uber. It's a market in which Uber should have the advantage of scale but new entrants can be expensive to ward off.

He also points to the fact that Uber has no particular advantage when we move to the next point of disruption which will be driverless cars.

"They've got no advantage over anyone else when it comes to autonomous driving technology. They tried to steal it from Google, they've ended up in court. That whole side of the business is falling apart."

A court case between Uber and Google is currently underway in the US.

And if ultimate competitor turns out to be Google, this is a prospect that in itself is enough to cause Uber's potential investors concern.

Douglass' predictions this week could ultimately prove prescient and there are clearly plenty of risks associated with the company. Taking an investment in Uber would not work for the faint hearted.

But it's early days and it will take time to see how the driverless technology market plays out. In its favour Uber has established plenty of the systems and intelligence that would be required infrastructure for even a driverless market.

There is value in its foray in its investment in the massive Chinese market – through an investment in the Chinese ridesharing equivalent Didi.

And its already established in 270 cities and 60 countries around the world.

Douglass has plenty of praise for other large businesses – he loves Amazon's Jeff Bezos and his funds have made a great return on Apple.

But when it comes to Uber he makes a very strong conviction call, "I see Uber as one of the stupidest businesses in history."

Last edited:
Driverless cars would be so sweet. Imagine just pressing your phone and ghost car appears from the shadows and takes you home from the pub at 3am.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Driverless cars would be so sweet. Imagine just pressing your phone and ghost car appears from the shadows and takes you home from the pub at 3am.

They're too late for me. I want driverless cars now so my 6 year old can drive herself to dancing, my 9 year old to basketball training etc.

I read this story today about Roger Moore from a fan who met him as a youngster, it really tickled my fancy:

Edit: As kids my brothers and I would wait until Dad was coming home after work then turn off the lights and hide after putting the stereo on with the James Bond theme music. He would have to find us before we jumped out at him and dealt out justice, secret agent style. Good times.

Last edited:
A vegan and a crossfittet walk into a bar. Everyone knows as it's the first thinf they say.
It's ok mate, I'm a runner and EVERYONE I talk to knows about it ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back