Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Primary colours are red, blue and yellow.

my partner thinks im batshit crazy.. i can accept that because i know i am - but every now and then she will think one of my schemes or theorys is too weird and back away slowly..

my latest one, ive done for years - i actually think its sound and i want back up on it but she reckons its stupid.

You know whan you are walking through a very dark house at night - i actually close my eyes when im walking about, because my theory is when your eyes are closed it heightens your other senses making it easier to navigate... if your eyes are open you are still trying vainly to rely on them to see which dulls the other senses which are actually more usefull in the dark..

i know i have something here - cmon, someone, do i?

my partner thinks im batshit crazy.. i can accept that because i know i am - but every now and then she will think one of my schemes or theorys is too weird and back away slowly..

my latest one, ive done for years - i actually think its sound and i want back up on it but she reckons its stupid.

You know whan you are walking through a very dark house at night - i actually close my eyes when im walking about, because my theory is when your eyes are closed it heightens your other senses making it easier to navigate... if your eyes are open you are still trying vainly to rely on them to see which dulls the other senses which are actually more usefull in the dark..

Yes, your other senses are heightened but do any of them really help with spatial navigation? Probably not, unless your hearing is elevated to sonar levels like the bats you allude to in your post. It's not as if it is completely dark so I would imagine the limited vision you have would be a lot better than slightly enhanced hearing, smell, taste and touch for not stubbing your toe.

Yes, your other senses are heightened but do any of them really help with spatial navigation? Probably not, unless your hearing is elevated to sonar levels like the bats you allude to in your post. It's not as if it is completely dark so I would imagine the limited vision you have would be a lot better than slightly enhanced hearing, smell, taste and touch for not stubbing your toe.

i navigate on memory - when i close my eyes im not forcing to try and see, im trusting my muscle memory i guess? i must have walked those rooms and corridors a thousand times, it has to be mapped out internally? - but youd be suprised how much the other senses kick in anyway.. if you are close to hitting a wall.. something tells you.. sure enough put out a hand and there she is.

I'm a parent, but got no idea what coding is.
So it's the knowledge of computer and app programming. Started to look into it due to the increasing need for programmers and the changing shift in jobs over the next ten to fifteen years. Trying to get my kids in a position that will enable them to enter a vastly diff workforce perhaps with a slight upper hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it's the knowledge of computer and app programming. Started to look into it due to the increasing need for programmers and the changing shift in jobs over the next ten to fifteen years. Trying to get my kids in a position that will enable them to enter a vastly diff workforce perhaps with a slight upper hand.

Im not a parent but this might help you out.

https://codeclubau.org/

i navigate on memory - when i close my eyes im not forcing to try and see, im trusting my muscle memory i guess? i must have walked those rooms and corridors a thousand times, it has to be mapped out internally? - but youd be suprised how much the other senses kick in anyway.. if you are close to hitting a wall.. something tells you.. sure enough put out a hand and there she is.

I partially agree, there is definitely a memory map aspect of it, but I'm an eyes open guy. Your eyes will often adjust to whatever light there is and you can make out silhouettes etc. On the new moon nights where it's pitch black you still see things walking around the house as reference points like the microwave clock, red "off" light on the Foxtel box, clock radios as you go past bedroom doors etc so you're not walking blind.

I just flail like an octopus trying to touch things so I know where I am haha, or you know just use your phone that works aswell ;)

I worry about the same thing for my daughters. It seems that most things we do with our hands and any repetitive tasks will end up being automated. Coding is interesting as although it will be in demand as more and more is automated, the repetive components and some of its more generic elements may end up being 'automated' as well. With my two all I really talk about is knowledge and creativity and the way technology augments jobs but it's a scary world for kids at the moment (and for us too).

I worry about the same thing for my daughters. It seems that most things we do with our hands and any repetitive tasks will end up being automated. Coding is interesting as although it will be in demand as more and more is automated, the repetive components and some of its more generic elements may end up being 'automated' as well. With my two all I really talk about is knowledge and creativity and the way technology augments jobs but it's a scary world for kids at the moment (and for us too).

I agree 100%. The thing is the landscape will change so much in the next 7 years (the timeframe where my eldest will enter year 11) that I don't know what jobs will be available then compared to now. Will anything I do to try and guide her now be redundant in that 7 year timeframe?

She is saying at this point she wants to be a teacher and I'm happy with that as we'll always need teachers.

Automation is going to be huge over the next decade and the workplace is going to adapt and change so hard it'll be a different place altogether when our kids get their chance. Any help I can give them now will hopefully assist in the long run. So many jobs will be phased out. Manufacturing is dead. You're right about creativity though. I will keep that trait going in them for sure.

Ah OK.

I'm really inept with technology.

Ive been thinking...

With all the 'terror' attacks of late.. what's their M.o? To strike fear into the world, maybe to expose their cause to the world, right?

Ok.

Best way for this to happen? Do your deed, have the uproar whip round the planets media which pretty much supercharges what you have just done, where a city may have been in shell shock and fear now a country, a continent, a planet will be.

So, if a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is there to see it, did it happen?

The media has rules, they never report on things like hostage demands or suicides, because it normalises it, yet they are allowed to normalise acts of terror?

Crazy idea, how about blanket ban on reporting these acts, total silence, didn't happen.

Sure the first few , there would be some upset families but bigger picture, if they are not getting air play or milage from the acts, will they continue? No bang for buck, so to speak.

Look, bombings have been happening in the middle East and 3rd world for decades, didn't reach our news ergo..wasn't an issue, now it's in the news every day, the world is in crisis.

The media , traditional or otherwise dictates what the population see and know to an extent.

Would zero tolerance reporting on terror acts stem the tide? Are we now just feeding the fire? Whatever we are doing its not working.

I know there is the whole China debate and what they sensor.. but I'm.looking for an open mind idea here...

Surely this could help.

Like a little kid being a s**t looking for attention, react and they act worse, ignore and they suddenly buck up.

Can we?

Ive been thinking...

With all the 'terror' attacks of late.. what's their M.o? To strike fear into the world, maybe to expose their cause to the world, right?

Ok.

Best way for this to happen? Do your deed, have the uproar whip round the planets media which pretty much supercharges what you have just done, where a city may have been in shell shock and fear now a country, a continent, a planet will be.

The media has rules, they never report on things like hostage demands or suicides, because it normalises it, yet they are allowed to normalise acts of terror?

Crazy idea, how about blanket ban on reporting these acts, total silence, didn't happen.

Sure the first few , there would be some upset families but bigger picture, if they are not getting air play or milage from the acts, will they continue? No bang for buck, so to speak.

Look, bombings have been happening in the middle East and 3rd world for decades, didn't reach our news ergo..wasn't an issue, now it's in the news every day, the world is in crisis.

The media , traditional or otherwise dictates what the population see and know to an extent.

Would zero tolerance reporting on terror acts stem the tide? Are we now just feeding the fire? Whatever we are doing its not working.

I know there is the whole China debate and what they sensor.. but I'm.looking for an open mind idea here...

Surely this could help.

Like a little kid being a s**t looking for attention, react and they act worse, ignore and they suddenly buck up.

Can we?
I don't think a total black out is necessary, but if they stop labelling every little thing as a politically motivated attack on western values that is the responsibility of all Muslims everywhere that's be a good start.

In Aus we tend to be very conservative about linking any incidents to terrorist organisations or motivations, but internationally their local politicians and law enforcement do label it as terrorism, so then it becomes part of the 'story' that gets reported.

Ive been thinking...

Ok.

Surely this could help.

Can we?

Id be all for not naming those who commit the act.
I assume it is done to shame them, to show "their story"

id be very happy with no names, forget them, wipe them from history. They don't become a martyr for the cause, they are simply forgotten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back