Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you like heavier prog rock/metal, then anything by Mastodon is worth a look in my opinion. my favourite album of theirs is Crack the Skye. about some sort of time travel/Tzarist Russia/Russian Revolution type theme, well as far as I can make out anyway lol.
but they usually have a theme of some sort to their albums, like Leviathan, an album based on Moby Dick. sounds weird I know, but it works. there is also albums called Blood Mountain, The Hunter and so on, so you probably get the picture what those themes are about. brilliant musicians, but it may take you many listens until you can work out what's going on completely, as some of the songs like The Czar and The Last Baron can be pretty complex and epic.
Tool is the same and anything by them is worth a listen too.
another one of my favourite albums is Superunknown by Soundgarden its bloody awesome and has stood the test of time probably better than any other from that grunge era imo.
and I also like Alice In Chains. Dirt is their best effort, a haunting album by them about drug addiction, which cost a couple of the band members their lives in the end. very dark and unusual, but great also.

Push the Sky Away is a fantastic album.

It’s also the only one of yours that I know (but that doesn’t greatly surprise me because I’m a massive dag and am totally not with it)
Spirit of Eden is definitely an obscure one.

Long story short Talk Talk made a shitty synth-pop single that sold heaps and were granted a basically unlimited budget to make whatever they wanted. Then the record company complained it wasn't "commercially viable" and demanded changes which the band refused (they also refused to tour). They ended up in court and Talk Talk were released from their contract, so it's no surprise the album went under the radar.

Check it out on Spotify or whatever, would love to hear what you think. It doesn't sound too different from Push The Sky Away actually (they're kinda made in the same way, come to think of it).

Here, My Dear is also an interesting one: Marvin was broke and agreed to give the royalties of his next album to his ex-wife as an alimony payment. So he wrote an album chronicling their relationship. Another underrated gem.

if you like heavier prog rock/metal, then anything by Mastodon is worth a look in my opinion. my favourite album of theirs is Crack the Skye. about some sort of time travel/Tzarist Russia/Russian Revolution type theme, well as far as I can make out anyway lol.
but they usually have a theme of some sort to their albums, like Leviathan, an album based on Moby Dick. sounds weird I know, but it works. there is also albums called Blood Mountain, The Hunter and so on, so you probably get the picture what those themes are about. brilliant musicians, but it may take you many listens until you can work out what's going on completely, as some of the songs like The Czar and The Last Baron can be pretty complex and epic.
Tool is the same and anything by them is worth a listen too.
another one of my favourite albums is Superunknown by Soundgarden its bloody awesome and has stood the test of time probably better than any other from that grunge era imo.
and I also like Alice In Chains. Dirt is their best effort, a haunting album by them about drug addiction, which cost a couple of the band members their lives in the end. very dark and unusual, but great also.
You & I have very similar musical tastes my friend.
Tool are up amongst my favourite bands & Superunknown would be in my top 5 albums of all time. Dirt is a classic album but I really fell in love with their first post Staley album Black gives Way To Blue.
Also in regards to Crack the Skye. The drummer Brann Dailors younger sister who was named Skye commited suicide before the album so there are themes of him dealing with her death most notably on the title track.

Two albums I just remembered are by Brazilian metal band Sepultura. They released two concept albums one called Dante XXI based on The Divine Comedy & A-Lex based on A Clockwork Orange. A-Lex even fetures metal versions of Beethoven throughout the album.

You & I have very similar musical tastes my friend.
Tool are up amongst my favourite bands & Superunknown would be in my top 5 albums of all time. Dirt is a classic album but I really fell in love with their first post Staley album Black gives Way To Blue.
Also in regards to Crack the Skye. The drummer Brann Dailors younger sister who was named Skye commited suicide before the album so there are themes of him dealing with her death most notably on the title track.
mate if you haven't seen it already, look up Rick Beato on youtube. the blokes a multi talented muso/producer/composer/engineer and amongst other interesting things he's got a series called 'what makes this song great' where he breaks down songs in about 15 minute episodes and shows you what's cool about them. he's got episodes of many different sorts of bands, including those i mentioned before, but i'd say they're all well worth a look for anyone interested in music.

Just to bring a bit of random to the random chat thread ... PerfectFooty (in light of your recent business venture) or anyone else have any recommendations for wireless modem routers?

I'm still operating with the cheap crap one provided by the ISP, and it can't cut it with how many devices connected, nor is the wireless signal strong enough with where it's placed at the front of the house in my media room to get a good signal through the house. I ran a couple of speed tests before, and the difference between sitting in the media room, to sitting in my lounge room, (which is about 15m away, but does have some walls in the way) is absolutely massive. The most action it gets is a couple of computers with general internet use, and a couple of ipads doing some streaming, so I don't need something hardcore gaming like, but something reasonable.

Just to bring a bit of random to the random chat thread ... PerfectFooty (in light of your recent business venture) or anyone else have any recommendations for wireless modem routers?

I'm still operating with the cheap crap one provided by the ISP, and it can't cut it with how many devices connected, nor is the wireless signal strong enough with where it's placed at the front of the house in my media room to get a good signal through the house. I ran a couple of speed tests before, and the difference between sitting in the media room, to sitting in my lounge room, (which is about 15m away, but does have some walls in the way) is absolutely massive. The most action it gets is a couple of computers with general internet use, and a couple of ipads doing some streaming, so I don't need something hardcore gaming like, but something reasonable.
Who's your ISP?

NBN isn't perfect though, if you're near a lot of people living near you that are connected to the node before you. Well you're just simply s**t out of luck

I like that you have a ‘media room’. It feels like the ultimate luxury of excess - sort of like Mike Brady having a bespoke Den. I aspire to be you.

Who's your ISP?

NBN isn't perfect though, if you're near a lot of people living near you that are connected to the node before you. Well you're just simply s**t out of luck
TPG ... Yeah, I had thought that might have been the cause, until I did speed tests in some different spots, and the crap router is clearly the main source of the issue.

A test I did before was about 60mbps near the router, and 4mbps at my dining table where I often work from.

TPG ... Yeah, I had thought that might have been the cause, until I did speed tests in some different spots, and the crap router is clearly the main source of the issue.

A test I did before was about 60mbps near the router, and 4mbps at my dining table where I often work from.
Alright then. Can't say i'm an expert on routers, they all kinda promise the same thing. "Pick me, i go fast and manage more devices" Haven't quite established a best or worst list yet, although i find the Telstra one surprisingly okay.

That'll be $30 thanks

Do you listen to La Dispute ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright then. Can't say i'm an expert on routers, they all kinda promise the same thing. "Pick me, i go fast and manage more devices" Haven't quite established a best or worst list yet, although i find the Telstra one surprisingly okay.

That'll be $30 thanks
Can I pay you in exposure?

I recently bought the Netgear Nighthawk and find that it’s almost perfect once I got the internals set up (took some doing; had an issue with IP duplication).

The other one that is expensive but works immaculately is the Google multi-hub router/wifi. Former housemates had four of them, took him 20min to set up and was brilliant. Not cheap though.

Actually sounds like you need some form of wifi extender to bridge the distance across your castle.

https://www.reviews.com/wifi-extender/

Ripper choices.

I got to see Ocean Songs live from start to finish and it was incredible. She Has No Strings is a brilliant album too (they're all really good).
Yeah I was tossing up between She has no strings and Ocean Songs. Could easily have put both up.

Actually sounds like you need some form of wifi extender to bridge the distance across your castle.

https://www.reviews.com/wifi-extender/
Yeah I thought about that as well, but given I've currently got the cheap crap one provided by the isp, it sort of felt like putting putting a mags and a big exhaust on a Ford Festiva.

Ooh another full album I'd strongly recommend (and I'm sure that Toump Ass is already all over):

A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atomos

One of my all time fave band names too.
Big fan of the label that put this out, but somehow I missed this release. Cheers for the recommendation, will defo check it out over the weekend :)

I'm not a huge country fan (There is a difference between Aus Country and USA country) but this song is getting a flogging in my car lately

I'm not a huge country fan (There is a difference between Aus Country and USA country) but this song is getting a flogging in my car lately
Warumpi band are great.

There's so much great Australian music in the 70s and 80s. I really like these guys, they're an odd fusion of classic, pink floyd sort of rock and jazz... really great stuff

... and this album is also a classic, and likewise on that pink floyd-ish tip (I can't find the best tracks of it on YouTube unfortunately...

The Roots-Undun not that any of you lot will like it but theres my input. most ****ed up story song is Immortal Technique Dance with the devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back