Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a total ******* idiot.

I have just been notified that I’ve been successful in a selection process that will see me promoted to a newly minted acting position at work for the next twelve months. Yay and so forth. Except I really really don’t want the job and never did want it. I was submitting an application for what seemed like very subtle and “clever” reasons of my own while absolutely convinced that there was literally no way I would get the gig. I am such a mammoth tool.
What, pray tell, were your subtle and clever reasons?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
What, pray tell, were your subtle and clever reasons?
Okay so they were a bit stupid.

I would like promotion, or better still acting opportunities at a higher level for a bit to see if I’m into it / get some experience, enhance the cv etc. unfortunately in a small agency these opportunities are pretty few and far between.

Also, I find that because I have a particular expertise in one area I find I tend to be pigeonholed because it’s convenient to managers. Everything vaguely related to my ‘expert’ area gets assigned to me pretty much. And also I tend to get excluded from discussions in other areas because managers perceive (wrongly mostly) that I won’t have an interest or can make a contribution. So there is a bit of a dead end issue - people say “PG just does that overseas stuff and the data s**t” which is limiting to promotion prospects, and generally pretty limiting in terms of my engagement with the work because it can be dead tedious.

So I end up applying for this job advertised even while thinking it sounded like one of the most horrible jobs ever conceived. I was sure I wouldn’t get it (most internal opportunities here are actually designed for a particular individual - the “selection process” is a pantomime to create plausible paperwork in case any applicant appeals the appointment) but thought that I could use the application process to get my statement of claims and resume in front of SES members - remind these dudes that I have a more diverse skill set than is currently acknowledged. So it was generally a way to start the conversation that I am interested in further opportunities, developing capability, that I can probably make a broader contribution then my current role demands. The idea was to get this front of mind in certain SES so that one day when a promotion opportunity emerges that isn’t terrible, they would be more open to considering me for the role.

Only it’s backfired somewhat because I am now the Deputy General Manager of things. Position description suggests this is a new kind of Commissioners bitch and shitkicker role. I shout at people as directed so more important people can do interesting thinking stuff.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Fair enough. 12 months isn't that long in the scheme of things, although you haven't said anything about the role and it could be a bastard of a job. If you're getting fair compensation for your time and your old job will still be there to go back to after the contract, what's the ruckus?
None really. I’ve sided with the money motive. If it stinks then whatever, it’s not permanent. Also I can run away.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

I would like promotion, or better still acting opportunities at a higher level for a bit to see if I’m into it / get some experience, enhance the cv etc. unfortunately in a small agency these opportunities are pretty few and far between.

Also, I find that because I have a particular expertise in one area I find I tend to be pigeonholed because it’s convenient to managers. Everything vaguely related to my ‘expert’ area gets assigned to me pretty much. And also I tend to get excluded from discussions in other areas because managers perceive (wrongly mostly) that I won’t have an interest or can make a contribution. So there is a bit of a dead end issue - people say “PG just does that overseas stuff and the data ****” which is limiting to promotion prospects, and generally pretty limiting in terms of my engagement with the work because it can be dead tedious.

So I end up applying for this job advertised even while thinking it sounded like one of the most horrible jobs ever conceived. I was sure I wouldn’t get it (most internal opportunities here are actually designed for a particular individual - the “selection process” is a pantomime to create plausible paperwork in case any applicant appeals the appointment) but thought that I could use the application process to get my statement of claims and resume in front of SES members - remind these dudes that I have a more diverse skill set than is currently acknowledged. So it was generally a way to start the conversation that I am interested in further opportunities, developing capability, that I can probably make a broader contribution then my current role demands. The idea was to get this front of mind in certain SES so that one day when a promotion opportunity emerges that isn’t terrible, they would be more open to considering me for the role.

Only it’s backfired somewhat because I am now the Deputy General Manager of things. Position description suggests this is a new kind of Commissioners bitch and shitkicker role. I shout at people as directed so more important people can do interesting thinking stuff.

IF YOU NEED TO SHOUT AT PEOPLE YOU SHOULD START PRACTICING NOW

THIS IS Topkent

YOU SHOULD SHOUT AT HIM

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
IF YOU NEED TO SHOUT AT PEOPLE YOU SHOULD START PRACTICING NOW

THIS IS Topkent

YOU SHOULD SHOUT AT HIM
To be really authentic I think I will need to design compliance monitoring tools to prove that Topkent isn’t meeting targets, report to the grown ups how s**t he is, devise some kind of ‘educative’ name and shame policy and then shout at him.

None really. I’ve sided with the money motive. If it stinks then whatever, it’s not permanent. Also I can run away.
Just a wild guess, do you work at the ATO? If that is intrusive please feel free to shout as loudly as you like at me.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Just a wild guess, do you work at the ATO? If that is intrusive please feel free to shout as loudly as you like at me.
No. I don’t work for ATO - they wouldn’t really constitute a small agency. They’re pretty massive.

No I work for the AG agency responsible for regulation of vocational education and training. My niche is investigating bogus training organisations set up for migration fraud and human trafficking. Though for the next 12 month my niche is spying on colleagues to see if they are meeting performance targets, or doing dumb things, or making decisions without delegation and shouting at them.

Why do you ask? Are there lots of good shouting roles at the ATO?

No. I don’t work for ATO - they wouldn’t really constitute a small agency. They’re pretty massive.

No I work for the AG agency responsible for regulation of vocational education and training. My niche is investigating bogus training organisations set up for migration fraud and human trafficking. Though for the next 12 month my niche is spying on colleagues to see if they are meeting performance targets, or doing dumb things, or making decisions without delegation and shouting at them.

Why do you ask? Are there lots of good shouting roles at the ATO?
Innumerable. Sounds like it might be your sort of place!

Also, I find that because I have a particular expertise in one area I find I tend to be pigeonholed because it’s convenient to managers. Everything vaguely related to my ‘expert’ area gets assigned to me pretty much. And also I tend to get excluded from discussions in other areas because managers perceive (wrongly mostly) that I won’t have an interest or can make a contribution. So there is a bit of a dead end issue - people say “PG just does that overseas stuff and the data ****” which is limiting to promotion prospects, and generally pretty limiting in terms of my engagement with the work because it can be dead tedious.

I think the big lesson here is that you thought SES's views of you were narrower than they have shown to be. They've clearly thought you are capable of more and proven that by offering you the role.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I think the big lesson here is that you thought SES's views of you were narrower than they have shown to be. They've clearly thought you are capable of more and proven that by offering you the role.
True. That or I was the only knob end to apply

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
For anyone mad who is following my boring line of random chat - I want to say this out loud because I can’t even tell my family in case it goes south. I might be about to buy my first home (it’s an apartment, not a house in Melbourne because I’m not a zillionaire) and I’m super excited but trying not to be because the place is down for auction so if the bidding goes beyond my reach I have to ditch the plan. Hope not though, because it’s my kind of place and I’m really into my dreams at the moment.

For anyone mad who is following my boring line of random chat - I want to say this out loud because I can’t even tell my family in case it goes south. I might be about to buy my first home (it’s an apartment, not a house in Melbourne because I’m not a zillionaire) and I’m super excited but trying not to be because the place is down for auction so if the bidding goes beyond my reach I have to ditch the plan. Hope not though, because it’s my kind of place and I’m really into my dreams at the moment.

Good luck PG.

Are you putting in an offer pre-auction?

Are you doing the bidding at the auction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Good luck PG.

Are you putting in an offer pre-auction?

Are you doing the bidding at the auction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Both. Meeting with the agent on Wednesday to see if we can negotiate sale before auction

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
If it pans out than literally everyone on the board is invited to the housewarming.

I’m in a realistic phase though and I don’t think we will get this one, because it’s the style of property that is deeply appealing to investors. But I’m going to make a showing anyway. Worst case scenario I don’t get the place but I’m gaining time and experience in knowing what I want and what drawbacks I will live with.

If it pans out than literally everyone on the board is invited to the housewarming.

I’m in a realistic phase though and I don’t think we will get this one, because it’s the style of property that is deeply appealing to investors. But I’m going to make a showing anyway. Worst case scenario I don’t get the place but I’m gaining time and experience in knowing what I want and what drawbacks I will live with.
Enough of the MFCSS stuff, thinking positive here, Good luck, hope it works out

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos

This is so exciting. Do you think you could schedule it around the grand final weekend so I can attend?

Good luck. I bought my first crib a couple of years ago over here, it's a nice feeling to have a place of your own

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Got a couple months worth of weird crammed into one evening tonight. My mates wife was in town for a creative dance performance and she invited me and my wife along. There were only about thirty people in this very small venue, and the first performance consisted of a heavy set girl coming out dressed in plastic bags. I knew immediately I was in serious danger of breaking out into uncontrolled laughter so I immediately began thinking about very sad things, like our forward line entries. She then starts swaying with her eyes closed before ripping open a bag above her head which resulted in molasses pouring all over her face and hair. She then started crying before walking out of the theatre into a busy downtown Vancouver Street. Thought provoking stuff. Of course 90% of the audience thought it was amaze balls. Then to top it off, my mates wife came out topless for her performance so I tried furiously to avoid looking at her **** for a solid 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back