Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for myself so Mrs Crimson does the performance reviews. That doesn't sound right does it? And they're not glowing reviews. o_O

I work on a simple motto: Earn as much money as possible in as little time as possible. Keeps me motivated to get the job done and go home and do things I'd rather be doing than work.

Question: Who really likes their job and finds it hard to switch off/walk away?

Mine is ok, but I want to get it done so I can do things I am actually passionate about.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wish I had read this in time. It would have worked.

I had to free improvise a bit and it went okay. At no point was my performance actually discussed. At the end of half an hour of self help starter bulls**t straight form the mouth of Oprah (if you are to believe ... you really need to BELIEVE.... etc) I realised that I needed a closing statement to get out of the room. So I came up with some crap about “one thing I have learned is that to learn you need to understand yourself”. I don’t know what that means, because it means nothing at all, but it got me out of the room so all good.

I wasn’t joking about this woman being bats**t crazy either. I took some photos of her whiteboard months back (still unchanged as at today) and I’m sharing because I don’t think anyone really believes me

View attachment 718615

That's quite awful. It'd be slightly less worse if she'd found some crap inspirational quote / background pictures on the internet and printed them - hand-writing them on a whiteboard just makes it that much worse.

“One thing I have learned is that to learn you need to understand yourself”

You need to claim that as a back-handed, sly insult. You're not speaking in the second person, you've just suggested she doesn't know what she's on about.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lol! This generation is more educated and less likely to believe crap on the internet designes to mislead. Its less likely to following political rhetoric, appeals to outdated ideas, and actually displays a bit of empathy.

Far as i can tell, your generation might have indulged in some minor property damage and yelled in the streets - you'll notice that when my generation demonstrates peacefully about climate change its the boomers that call them work-shy bludgers.... but oooo... Vietnam! Did you go out against Iraq 1 or 2? Did you protest the Brits blowing crap up in the desert? Or was it just the trendy one where the chicks were?

But its also your generation who enjoyed a free education then took it away for anyone else, the generation who created a world that exults Prideful Ignorance by demeaning and distrusting the educated. You mob turned elite into a dirty word, because a changing world is just too darn scary for those from a simpler time.

As a generation you might have had half a thought for others when it was all free love and flared jeans, but that generation turned into one of the most backward thinking, progress shy, selfish and short sighted generations in a century, shielded from wars, famines and enjoying the prosperity unseen for 4 generations.

I would take 50 modern snowflakes over a single one of the outdated dinosaurs who run the world today.

This "generation" is only more educated on paper. Tertiary institutions becoming degree factories that churn out a wide spectrum of quality of graduates doesn't really constitute itself as an improvement on the education front. Academic standards have been in heavy decline. Not sure how any particular generation is responsible for "demeaning and distrusting the educated" when academics have been fantastically capable of managing that feat without outside help.

Its always typically young people that protest. They've got more time than most, they're not as jaded as people who've been around a spell and they're naive enough to believe sensationalist / emotional arguments. People picketing companies now will be sitting back in 15 or 20 years taking pot-shots at the same kind of people doing the same kinds of things.

Every generation is full of campaigners, there are just a few varieties and flavours of campaigners.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Mine is ok, but I want to get it done so I can do things I am actually passionate about.
What, you mean being performance reviewed by your missus?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

I don’t know about “really likes”. But a lot of the time I find the problems / challenges stimulating and find it hard to switch off - I can go home but keep turning over work in my mind.

I have put a lot of effort into learning to keep reasonable hours. I used to overwork chronically in the past, come in on weekends etc. I’ve stopped doing that deliberately. It’s genuinely unhealthy and doesn’t do you or your employer any good in the long run - you just get run down, and your employer simply gets a false and completely unsustainable expectation about what can be achieved.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
There’s no such thing as ‘meaningful education’

s**t, why did I waste my time going to uni then? Next time I have a job interview I'll just tell people "Have faith, I know what I'm doing, no need for qualifications". Of course there's such a thing as a 'meaningful education'.

Any particular inclination to discuss why a 16 year old who doesn't understand what she's protesting is apparently a hot enough topic to warrant political visits and media articles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

What shocks me most about this post is that you claim to be passionate about things. I pictured you as an emotionless, shriveled husk withered into the shape of a chair.

I wouldn't say i love by job but equally I dont hate it. I probably could find something else to do that i am more passionate about but taking a substantial paycut doesn't seem logical

I do find it hard to switch though. I have a fair bit of responsibility though so even after a long day in the office it is hard not to check the laptop/emails.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

What shocks me most about this post is that you claim to be passionate about things. I pictured you as an emotionless, shriveled husk withered into the shape of a chair.
Close enough. True story, I once nicknamed myself ‘man couch’ after a photo was taken of me sitting on a couch of all things.

I pictured you as a walrus of a man, thick and hairy, with an eternally furrowed brow who bellows a lot.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lol! This generation is more educated and less likely to believe crap on the internet designes to mislead. Its less likely to following political rhetoric, appeals to outdated ideas, and actually displays a bit of empathy.

Far as i can tell, your generation might have indulged in some minor property damage and yelled in the streets - you'll notice that when my generation demonstrates peacefully about climate change its the boomers that call them work-shy bludgers.... but oooo... Vietnam! Did you go out against Iraq 1 or 2? Did you protest the Brits blowing crap up in the desert? Or was it just the trendy one where the chicks were?

But its also your generation who enjoyed a free education then took it away for anyone else, the generation who created a world that exults Prideful Ignorance by demeaning and distrusting the educated. You mob turned elite into a dirty word, because a changing world is just too darn scary for those from a simpler time.

As a generation you might have had half a thought for others when it was all free love and flared jeans, but that generation turned into one of the most backward thinking, progress shy, selfish and short sighted generations in a century, shielded from wars, famines and enjoying the prosperity unseen for 4 generations.

I would take 50 modern snowflakes over a single one of the outdated dinosaurs who run the world today.
Just as i mistakenly put a whole generation into one rant , you also assume that all "Boomers" are backward thinking dinosaurs . Whatever , i won't be around when you modern snowflakes realise just what is being stripped from your AI world. A generational change can't come quick enough , but even that may not be enough . The planet can survive , i doubt humanity will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back