Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Close enough. True story, I once nicknamed myself ‘man couch’ after a photo was taken of me sitting on a couch of all things.

I pictured you as a walrus of a man, thick and hairy, with an eternally furrowed brow who bellows a lot.

I'm hurt! Oh the huge manatee...

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wouldn't say i love by job but equally I dont hate it. I probably could find something else to do that i am more passionate about but taking a substantial paycut doesn't seem logical

I do find it hard to switch though. I have a fair bit of responsibility though so even after a long day in the office it is hard not to check the laptop/emails.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Yeah, that about sums my work up. Don't hate my job, don't overly like it, although the people I work with are predominantly miles ahead of the last place I was at, which was a mixed bag at best. Fairly standard for people to get loaded up to the wazoo as well - we're expected to go above and beyond to keep on top of it.

I'm hurt! Oh the huge manatee...
A distant cousin no doubt.

Pic always gives me a smile. I hold to the fact I said it well before it became a meme.

thehugemanatee.jpg

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
WTAF

I’m watching the Ashes and these guys have a massive number on their backs and their name?

Have I gone to sleep for a million years or something? Is this a thing? When did this happen?
Yep, recently mankind decided this was a good idea.

WTAF

I’m watching the Ashes and these guys have a massive number on their backs and their name?

Have I gone to sleep for a million years or something? Is this a thing? When did this happen?
it's political correctness gone mad

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
it's political correctness gone mad

Yep, exactly. They were cricket "whites", so the PC Gods decided that we absolutely must add another colour / shade to the equation. You can't have just white things this day and age.

TheGateKeeper

Debutant
May 24, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
cricket would be more interesting if they allowed cross overs from other types of games. I would like them to add the multi ball function from pinball and kit the grounds out with pungee pits. Would mean taking a Schweppes classic catch in gully even more exciting if you also add the chance of landing in a pit of sharpened bamboo spikes covered in human waste to the mix. Tony Gregg would come back from the dead to sell us limited edition memorabilia if were the case.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is that fact? Because as far as I'm aware he hasn't been proven as a liar in any of those areas, in fact the majority of his story has been proven fact. The discovery of element 115 is an undeniably curious case. For 20 odd years he was discredited as crazy for saying it was a real element and then low and behold it's a real element. You can't just make that up

I don't know ...
Anybody with even a rudimentary knowledge of physics and chemistry can postulate a "new element" by simply moving one step to the right on their periodic table. Every new element since 1982 has been basically a new configuration based on adding an extra proton and finding a way to smash some other elements together to make it happen. They aren't really "discoveries" as much as theoretical projects where they work in a lab until they create a new short-life element by smashing other elements together and observing the result in a particle accelerator. It's part of what nuclear physicists do. Most of them are utterly useless elements though - being highly radioactive and unstable. Muscovium, having a few isotopes, the most stable being one that has a half-life of less than a second (and that's after all the energy you had to expend to synthesise it), is quite useless as a practical element. It's one of those theoretical elements that we were obliged to include because it was observed for a few puny milliseconds. As somebody with a background in this stuff, it's seriously unimpressive to have predicted its eventual existence. There will be no Nobel prizes for this. Heck, while I'm at it, I predict another new element one day with an extra proton and a couple of different isotopes. I shall nominate it to be element number 119 - because that's the next number.

Update on my debut, got a cheeky little assist early. Then late in junk time got a nice pass and ran into an open goal. Then came the sprint of players, everyone came to me. Copped a drenching after the game

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Question: Who really likes their job and finds it hard to switch off/walk away?

Mine is ok, but I want to get it done so I can do things I am actually passionate about.
* yes, I ******* love what I do!

It took ten years to establish myself and I've taken a massive paycut to work in the industry I've chosen to, but I'm super happy that I (more often than not) love my work. I also work a lot less which means more time to myself.

I've had jobs where I earned more money before but it didn't make me happier, it just meant I spent more money on s**t.

Any particular inclination to discuss why a 16 year old who doesn't understand what she's protesting is apparently a hot enough topic to warrant political visits and media articles?
Not sure investing in renewable energy, legislating to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and listening to the warnings of the scientific community are too hard for a 16 year old to comprehend? As for the media attention etc. who knows what that's about. She's credited with inspiring around one and a half million people around the world to protest climate change, so fair enough if that's the case.

FWIW I had no idea who she was before this thread appeared.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure investing in renewable energy, legislating to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and listening to the warnings of the scientific community are too hard for a 16 year old to comprehend? As for the media attention etc. who knows what that's about. She's credited with inspiring around one and a half million people around the world to protest climate change, so fair enough if that's the case.

FWIW I had no idea who she was before this thread appeared.

I have no idea who she is either. Why is a 16 year old conduit required? Being "credited" with inspiring 1.5M people around the world to protest climate change... where actual science fails to convince, a 16 year old girl comes to the rescue. Sums up what's wrong with a lot of people today. Emotion over reason.

I have no idea who she is either. Why is a 16 year old conduit required? Being "credited" with inspiring 1.5M people around the world to protest climate change... where actual science fails to convince, a 16 year old girl comes to the rescue. Sums up what's wrong with a lot of people today. Emotion over reason.
Other than you being obsessed with her being a 16yo girl it doesn’t actually matter that that is what she is. Sounds like you’re the one that’s too emotional to get past that particular point and listen to the arguments she’s making.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other than you being obsessed with her being a 16yo girl it doesn’t actually matter that that is what she is. Sounds like you’re the one that’s too emotional to get past that particular point and listen to the arguments she’s making.

Sorry, what points is she making? Other than her talking about her being physically ill about the future of the planet, she doesn't make any relevant points. You mocked Bolt's article but the parts I skimmed over seem accurate - she's just a mentally ill young girl that is being paraded around by the media as a symbol. I guess droogs like you eat that s**t up.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Sorry, what points is she making? Other than her talking about her being physically ill about the future of the planet, she doesn't make any relevant points. You mocked Bolt's article but the parts I skimmed over seem accurate - she's just a mentally ill young girl that is being paraded around by the media as a symbol. I guess droogs like you eat that s**t up.
I’ve never heard of her either.

Dunno that her age is relevant - and if she has made relevant points I’m pretty certain you won’t find them in a Bolt article, skimming or not. Mozart had already composed works that few could improve on by age 16, and he was mental as they come.

I seem to suddenly be behind this woman. I’d better find out who she is and what her thing is to make a good job of eating this s**t up.

How exactly did I mock his article? You’re very sensitive if you found that mocking given what he was saying in it.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
How exactly did I mock his article? You’re very sensitive if you found that mocking given what he was saying in it.

You are a goldfish.

Imagine thinking 'young people' are cowards when they have to deal with people like the eminent boomer Andrew Bolt spreading rubbish like this

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve never heard of her either.

Dunno that her age is relevant - and if she has made relevant points I’m pretty certain you won’t find them in a Bolt article, skimming or not. Mozart had already composed works that few could improve on by age 16, and he was mental as they come.

I seem to suddenly be behind this woman. I’d better find out who she is and what her thing is to make a good job of eating this s**t up.

I come back to my point about a meaningful education that she doesn't possess. Not sure how comparing this girl to Mozart is relevant - he created things, she is having a recurring mental episode. Go for your life, though.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I come back to my point about a meaningful education that she doesn't possess. Not sure how comparing this girl to Mozart is relevant - he created things, she is having a recurring mental episode. Go for your life, though.
Actually it was your comment about meaningful education that got me thinking. Because your example earlier was about going to uni so you can show an employer a testamur to demonstrate you might be able to do the job, rather than having the employer take your word for it. It depresses me. It’s not the education that’s meaningful in your example, it’s the testamur. But that’s the way it is now I guess.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I think you've contradicted yourself a little- you say she has no "meaningful education", but if degrees are handed out as carelessly as you say they are then how would she obtain one anyway?

In any case if what you say is true then the plaudits she's received seem reasonable enough, given the 1.4 million protesters were students and therefore incapable of understanding climate change (yet still inspired to protest against it).

Gotta say, you raise a good point re: why has science failed to convince. I guess you'll need to ask skeptics like Tony Abbot that one.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Actually it was your comment about meaningful education that got me thinking. Because your example earlier was about going to uni so you can show an employer a testamur to demonstrate you might be able to do the job, rather than having the employer take your word for it. It depresses me. It’s not the education that’s meaningful in your example, it’s the testamur. But that’s the way it is now I guess.

That was my low effort response to G2B's low effort response. The education is the point, particularly if you're going to weigh in on complex topics. To throw back to your example on music, people enjoy that without knowing whether the creator spent 10 years studying the musical arts or if they've been faffing around in the basement for 3 months and came up with something catchy. There's a product there. I'm not seeing what a young person with no "meaningful education" has to offer to the debate other than the ability to regurgitate what others have already said and emotional arguments / trauma.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you've contradicted yourself a little- you say she has no "meaningful education", but if degrees are handed out as carelessly as you say they are then how would she obtain one anyway?

In any case if what you say is true then the plaudits she's received seem reasonable enough, given the 1.4 million protesters were students and therefore incapable of understanding climate change (yet still inspired to protest against it).

Gotta say, you raise a good point re: why has science failed to convince. I guess you'll need to ask skeptics like Tony Abbot that one.

See my response to PG. Degrees are handed out more carelessly but that doesn't make receiving an education less pertinent.

1.4M students protesting? My word! I guess the ones who do value their education went to school instead.

What's Tony Abbott got to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back