Random Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo has had a love affair with guitars since I was a teenager. I suppose I had dreams of emulating my guitar heroes but I was never built for the uncertainty of being a musician.

I knew from the few formal lessons that I had at high school that a life as a musician was not for me. Especially when they asked me to join the school orchestra. Before I even started I quit the band.

But I was a determined bugger and, by myself, I kept at it.

I remember my brother-in-law gave me his Epiphone guitar and I played it until my fingers bled. On my 17th birthday my mum bought me another Epiphone (this time acoustic) and my fingers didn’t bleed. I bought sheet music and learned to play some of my favourite songs (if I was dexterous enough). You see I’m strictly rhythm I don’t want to make it cry and sing.

At 18 years I travelled overseas with a sh*t load of money. On the way back I was determined to take advantage of the cheap shopping available in Singapore. My hair wasn’t long but I agreed to a haircut to get into the police state of Singapore.

And I found myself a shop filled with guitars. I was eclectic in my choices. One had to be an acoustic guitar and I found a Fender that sounded so good. My dream was to play bass (it’s not that hard unless you want to be John Entwistle). I found a short neck Fender Mustang bass which entranced me. Naturally I had to buy the Vox amp. It was the days before excess baggage.

On arriving at Tullamarine I am forever indebted to the customs officer who waved me through. I was up for a considerable amount of duty and she let me off.

I’ve still got the acoustic guitar which is around 45 years old. The bass and amp I swapped for money and an Akai reel to reel tape deck that I still have in a box somewhere.

Robbo has got a bit lazy in recent years and hardly picks up the couple of guitars I still own (I also own a solid body strat copy, black body with a white scratch board, two pick ups and a couple of knobs). I’m not sure why because playing music is such a positive experience.

In good news, my new place in Travancore is literally next to a purveyor of drum kits. And right up the back there are lots of guitars.😍
Sounds like a mission from God, Robbo. Time to get the band back together.

It’s a known fact that I hate insurance companies and utilities with equal enmity. They are the scum on my boots.

I’ll save a serve for the utilities until a later time.

Let’s zero in on health insurance. I’ve forgotten the last time we claimed anything from our provider (mainly due to the fact that you couldn’t use the services that provide extras under your cover). Still can’t. These entities have been making squillions and should have returned chunks of our hard earned.

I think we pay over $400 per month for hospital and extras cover. It’s about 4 months since things were normal. Roughly $1,600. There was a bit of fanfare from our provider that it would return some of the premium. Woo hoo!

Are you sitting down? The excitement may cause you to lose your balance. The grand sum of $48 was returned. FMD.😑
Legal blackmail.

"Are you paid up? You wouldn't want something to happen to you..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FML.

99 Preliminary Final memories have been tarnished for me somewhat knowing what Justin Murphy has become post football.
He is a very sick person JM. No sympathy for him, only his family and Jill (his former partner)

A friend of mine told me a story about a customer who once returned liquid nails saying it didn't work. They then produced a series of dried liquid nail strips they intended to use as actual nails...I kid you not, true story!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back