Random Discussion II

Remove this Banner Ad

I don‘t think anyone who attended those demonstrations should be classified as morons. Anyone attending would have not taken the step without deep thought. Would you march for a cause?

This is just not true.
Sure, there would have been plenty that had genuine concerns and genuine reasons to want to march, but the bolded isn't right.
Not to make this a debate on this thread, but many young people went for reasons that had nothing to do with the theme of the rally and some went along by way of coercion. I have relatively small samples of this via a few young people I know, but you start getting the idea.

In less than a 2 hour period the supermarkets were stripped bare of essentials such as bread, milk etc. on the Friday night.
Can‘t tell me there was proper social distancing from the visitors to town while mixing with the locals.
Guarantee there was less than optimal personal hygiene conditions as well.

Bit of a difference though as people may not have known what they were getting into going into a supermarket, whether it be in Echuca or Prahran.
Everybody knew what they were getting into when heading off to the march.

Bit of a difference though as people may not have known what they were getting into going into a supermarket, whether it be in Echuca or Prahran.
Everybody knew what they were getting into when heading off to the march.
Unless it was their first ever visit to Echuca, they knew exactly what they were getting with regards to how busy the town gets on any sort of public holiday or during any event.

Unless it was their first ever visit to Echuca, they knew exactly what they were getting with regards to how busy the town gets on any sort of public holiday or during any event.

I can't see the correlation unless your supermarket looks like this.....and if it does. Good business. :)

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.05.47 am.png

It's just not comparing apples and apples at all. No big deal.

I can't see the correlation unless your supermarket looks like this.....and if it does. Good business. :)

View attachment 890926

It's just not comparing apples and apples at all. No big deal.
Hundreds of people from all over the state converging into one town, for no other reason than the poor petals had not been allowed to go camping or on holiday for 10 weeks. They all go into enclosed stores and touch the trolleys, counters, food items etc.

Compare that to people demonstrating against generations of hardship, oppression and disadvantage in the open air. Maybe it is just me that gets frustrated with the complaints and vitriol being aimed at the protesting crowds yet not a word about every other example of social distancing being ignored on the same weekend.

Maybe not apples and apples, scale means nothing if it is truly about preventing the spread only.

Hundreds of people from all over the state converging into one town, for no other reason than the poor petals had not been allowed to go camping or on holiday for 10 weeks. They all go into enclosed stores and touch the trolleys, counters, food items etc.

Compare that to people demonstrating against generations of hardship, oppression and disadvantage in the open air. Maybe it is just me that gets frustrated with the complaints and vitriol being aimed at the protesting crowds yet not a word about every other example of social distancing being ignored on the same weekend.

Maybe not apples and apples, scale means nothing if it is truly about preventing the spread only.
Mass gatherings during a pandemic is just not on. I am not sure why people think they have the right to protest at this time.

Poor petals? A bit unfair isn't it?
If we want to play that game: Who knows what the circumstances may have been for some to be needing to escape the city.
Just because race may not be in question here, doesn't mean they didn't 'earn' their time away.

It's also unfair to criticise someone for going having to purchase essentials.
Maybe your supermarket didn't have a pulse on the situation and didn't stock up adequately....for essentials to have been cleared.

You're right it's not apples and apples. It's nothing near apples and apples, nor lemons for lemons. It's patently an unfair argument.

Not during a global pandemic. Covid loves a crowd. Still morons

The George Floyd protests are a response to 400 years of racism and inequality in America. Around the world similar protests are occurring, including Australia (I don’t need to go into our indigenous history).

Clearly, protesters view the momentum of these world wide protests as a catalyst for significant change. It may not happen again.

The protesters aren’t morons for marching through a pandemic. It’s one thing to get through covid-19 for life return to normal, it’s another thing to get through covid-19 but still experience systematic racism and inequality.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In less than a 2 hour period the supermarkets were stripped bare of essentials such as bread, milk etc. on the Friday night.

Can‘t tell me there was proper social distancing from the visitors to town while mixing with the locals.

Guarantee there was less than optimal personal hygiene conditions as well.
False equivalence. Standing next to other people for hours end and shouting chants is not the same as brushing by someone in a supermarket.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have marched for causes and would have for this one, but it didn’t pass my personal risk assessment unfortunately
I get your decision as well. I fully support it.

Others thought about it and arrived at a different destination.

These people aren’t morons. These people aren’t deliberately endangering people’s health. They wore face masks. They sanitised. They would have been very careful.

For me we have the extremes of thought. There are mobs with mob mentality on both sides of the fence. I can understand why indigenous Australians feel this way. They’ve not been treated well since we assumed terra nullis and took their land.

We have a great opportunity to do something about it but we’ve got to get the politicians to stand aside. This is a decision for the Australian people (indigenous and migrants). I’m 63 years old and I’m sad that I might have left this mortal coil and not seen justice for the original people of this country.

I like you stayed at home but I can’t condemn those who attended. This s**t has gone on for long enough.

I get your decision as well. I fully support it.

Others thought about it and arrived at a different destination.

These people aren’t morons. These people aren’t deliberately endangering people’s health. They wore face masks. They sanitised. They would have been very careful.

For me we have the extremes of thought. There are mobs with mob mentality on both sides of the fence. I can understand why indigenous Australians feel this way. They’ve not been treated well since we assumed terra nullis and took their land.

We have a great opportunity to do something about it but we’ve got to get the politicians to stand aside. This is a decision for the Australian people (indigenous and migrants). I’m 63 years old and I’m sad that I might have left this mortal coil and not seen justice for the original people of this country.

I like you stayed at home but I can’t condemn those who attended. This s**t has gone on for long enough.
Agreed, I can understand people riding the momentum of the BLM movement. I don't think they're morons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I'll concede..they may not be morons, but protesting right now, in a state of emergency is moronic

Sometimes one just has to do what they have to do.
Let's not begrudge anyone that had genuine motivations and couldn't put this off, as the same opportunity may not be afforded any time soon. (although the trial will make for enough popcorn moments and possibly another wave of protests.)

Having said that though and as I expressed earlier, there were plenty that went along for self-serving opportunistic purposes that had nothing to do with their feelings about the situation but everything to do to with capturing the event and 'bump' their profiles on social media.

Now...what about Spain?

Sometimes one just has to do what they have to do.
Let's not begrudge anyone that had genuine motivations and couldn't put this off, as the same opportunity may not be afforded any time soon. (although the trial will make for enough popcorn moments and possibly another wave of protests.)

Having said that though and as I expressed earlier, there were plenty that went along for self-serving opportunistic purposes that had nothing to do with their feelings about the situation but everything to do to with capturing the event and 'bump' their profiles on social media.

Now...what about Spain?
Performative allyship 🤮
So many people posting black tiles to their Instagram pages and then back to regular self-promotion programming.

Performative allyship 🤮
So many people posting black tiles to their Instagram pages and then back to regular self-promotion programming.

When you see it, you can't unsee it and not just young people.
Self-promoting on the back of a cause can be a filip for your career (whether you truly believe the nature of that cause or not) and god forbid you share an alternate view, regardless of the facts one may have acquired as it could/will come back to haunt you.

Unfortunately the truth can lost amongst the politics and then even the truth doesn't matter as the bigger cause is more important (see that scene in The Last Temptation of Christ and you'll know how this works)

Here's one truth: Good people do good things and they don't do it just when others are watching.

there were plenty that went along for self-serving opportunistic purposes that had nothing to do with their feelings about the situation but everything to do to with capturing the event and 'bump' their profiles on social media.

Now...what about Spain?

When you say 'plenty', what does that actually mean? Are you suggesting a majority of protesters fall under this category? Half of them, a quarter of them, less than that? From what I've been able to ascertain by talking to people who were present is that those you refer to were very much in the minority.

Challenging the intentions or motivations of individual protesters does nothing to invalidate the significance of the cause.

Anyway, the saddest part of all this is that we are still having this discussion in 2020, these issues should have been resolved years ago.

When you say 'plenty', what does that actually mean? Are you suggesting a majority of protesters fall under this category? Half of them, a quarter of them, less than that? From what I've been able to ascertain by talking to people who were present is that those you refer to were very much in the minority.

Challenging the intentions or motivations of individual protesters does nothing to invalidate the significance of the cause.

Relatively speaking when contesting someone saying "Anyone attending would have not taken the step without deep thought".

I don't know the numbers and I'd sooner not explain how I came to this conclusion as it drags in parties that don't really need be raised, but anyone follow social media (and I don't) and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: As to you addendum: Yes, it truly is sad that we're even discussing race and haven't yet come to terms with that stupid and simple Golden Rule.
What a s**t time to be alive when we can't simply come to terms to being 'blessed' to be alive and appreciate each other, regardless of race, religion, sex etc

Poor petals? A bit unfair isn't it?
If we want to play that game: Who knows what the circumstances may have been for some to be needing to escape the city.
Just because race may not be in question here, doesn't mean they didn't 'earn' their time away.

It's also unfair to criticise someone for going having to purchase essentials.
Maybe your supermarket didn't have a pulse on the situation and didn't stock up adequately....for essentials to have been cleared.

You're right it's not apples and apples. It's nothing near apples and apples, nor lemons for lemons. It's patently an unfair argument.
The supermarkets hold enough stock to feed the local population of 15,000 how do you propose they then hold enough extra for a few hundred more for one night?

Missing the point completely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back