Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta multiply by 100 to get percentage. But yeah, it's still extremely low.

In Aus, there have been 25,547,468 tests and 34,833 cases. Also an extremely low percentage --> 0.13%

Covid tests to deaths ratio in Aus is very similar percentage to deaths from AZ vaccine.

My point is, these are also infinitesimal chances, yet it hasn't stopped the world from being extremely cautious of it.
And interesting that we did not present COVID metrics as a percentage of total population up until now?

So anyone up to date how it goes with cocktails of other drugs?
Currently on Palexia, Endone, Lyrica, Nurofen, Panadol Osteo and Aspirin to prevent clotting. Splitting Endone and Lyrica with single dose of each daily because multi dose of Lyrica has too many side effects, yet it is the best thing for my nerve pain.

Was going to wait until off all of this sh1t for the AZ jab with all of the potential dramas from the jab. Anyone have any opinion if my cocktail would be beneficial or otherwise in conjunction?
Alcohol thins the blood. I got the jab then had a bottle of Jameson and found that the jab made me really obnoxious and slurred my words for a while.

Gotta multiply by 100 to get percentage. But yeah, it's still extremely low.

In Aus, there have been 25,547,468 tests and 34,833 cases. Also an extremely low percentage --> 0.13%

Covid tests to deaths ratio in Aus is very similar percentage to deaths from AZ vaccine.

My point is, these are also infinitesimal chances, yet it hasn't stopped the world from being extremely cautious of it.

Does anyone know your chances of getting blood clots standing in the Carlton outer in the 70's and 80's ??

Does anyone know your chances of getting blood clots standing in the Carlton outer in the 70's and 80's ??

Dunno, but following Carlton in the 2000s leads to a high chance of your blood boiling...

Yeah because the pandemic has had zero relevance to, or impact on, the AFL.

I want to go back to the footy without risking death or disease. Get vaccinated people.

If the safety of others at the footy isn’t enough of a motivation, I reckon there’s a massive change you won’t be allowed in unless you’re vaccinated. So get vaccinated people!

well said

My response was in direct response to a number of people previously who were asking/talking about advice regarding clotting issues and vaccination. My response was purely factual ( including one factual error in calculation pointed out by another forum poster - who fact checked. )

In terms of football - I prefer to see crowds watching games and having a wonderful time to this charade currently on display.

Peace out and go Blues and (again) good luck to all and get vaccinated ASAP so we can all get back o going to games with a much greater level of safety sooner rather than later.

Yeah because the pandemic has had zero relevance to, or impact on, the AFL.

I want to go back to the footy without risking death or disease. Get vaccinated people.

If the safety of others at the footy isn’t enough of a motivation, I reckon there’s a massive change you won’t be allowed in unless you’re vaccinated. So get vaccinated people!
So I'm inferring from this you got vaccinated, but you are still worried about "risking death and disease?" You obviously don't think your vaccine works?

Lol nice straw man.

The vaccines are wonderfully effective at preventing death or serious illness but no one has ever claimed them to be 100% effective. Put another way, I'm not going to ride in front of a car just because I'm wearing a helmet.

I do understand that the whole pandemic is pretty scary and fixating on the anti-vaccination stuff is a way of feeling in control for some people. It is, to an extent, an understandable human reaction. But in reality it's all nonsense and the only excuse for not getting vaccinated is pre-existing or underlying medical conditions. The vaccines have not been rushed. Even if that was true initially, after billions of real world doses, its now the most tested vaccine in human history. If you haven't been vaccinated yet, you've had the benefit of the most extensive clinical trial imaginable.

There is also no evidence arising from any of the hundreds of vaccines that preceded this one that they are associated with long term impacts. Youtube experts don't replace decades of research from scientists.

Deep down, anti-vaxxers are just scared and selfish people unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol nice straw man.

The vaccines are wonderfully effective at preventing death or serious illness but no one has ever claimed them to be 100% effective. Put another way, I'm not going to ride in front of a car just because I'm wearing a helmet.

I do understand that the whole pandemic is pretty scary and fixating on the anti-vaccination stuff is a way of feeling in control for some people. It is, to an extent, an understandable human reaction. But in reality it's all nonsense and the only excuse for not getting vaccinated is pre-existing or underlying medical conditions. The vaccines have not been rushed. Even if that was true initially, after billions of real world doses, its now the most tested vaccine in human history. If you haven't been vaccinated yet, you've had the benefit of the most extensive clinical trial imaginable.

There is also no evidence arising from any of the hundreds of vaccines that preceded this one that they are associated with long term impacts. Youtube experts don't replace decades of research from scientists.

Deep down, anti-vaxxers are just scared and selfish people unfortunately.
PFIZER and Astrazeneca was released 6 months after the virus started to strike down people. Where was the years of research, or are you suggesting these companies released the virus? Big Pharma are making billions and billions out of all of this and laughing all the way the Bank as our country is slowly being bankrupted.

PFIZER and Astrazeneca was released 6 months after the virus started to strike down people. Where was the years of research, or are you suggesting these companies released the virus? Big Pharma are making billions and billions out of all of this and laughing all the way the Bank as our country is slowly being bankrupted.
Coronaviruses Moody are a family of viruses that have been around forever. COVID19 is a novel coronvirus, ie a new strain of coronavirus. Coronaviruses range from the common cold to SARs through to covid19. Coronavirus vaccines have been developed and researched for years. With a new strain of coronavirus they needed to build on existing vaccines to ensure efficacy against that specific strain. The traditional viral vector vaccine from J&J is the same technology for numerous vaccines. mRNA (messenger RNA) is a more technologically advanced vaccine ie Pfizer and Moderna and covid sped these delivery processes up. But again mRNA technology has been developed for a long time as well. Similar to the influenza vaccine, is tweaked annually to try and maintain effacacy against continual mutation of the influenza virus. They are not starting from scratch. Coronaviruses are not new Covid19 is just a particularly nasty one.
But your point re big Pharma cashing in. They have done that for sure. Has been a USD 33.5b windfall for Pfizer 2021.

It's really important to understand that the vast majority of time spent on clinical trials under normal circumstances is spent (a) getting funding; and (b) finding enough volunteers with the disease for the trial. Usually (b) alone can take years but obviously, in this context, those two issues were taken off the table instantly. Money was thrown at it and there were plenty of people being exposed to COVID to test them on. The actual Trial itself only takes up a small part of the whole process that we think of as a clinical trial.

The other part of was that the vehicles used to developed these vaccines were actually already developed prior to the pandemic. The only delay was cracking the genetic code, which happened in January. Statistically, these vaccine were approved with about the same amount of data as any other. But even if you were concerned about the speed, we're now 12 months down the road. Billions of doses have been provided. As I said, if you're getting the vaccine now, you're benefitting from the largest clinical trial in human history.

Let me tell you, I have zero love for pharmaceutical companies. They are rapacious *s (although AZ reckon they are selling the vaccine at cost). But that is a separate question to whether the vaccines are safe (yes) and the only realistic way that we'll get back to 'normal' (yes).

If you're worried about the economic and psychological impacts of lockdowns (as we all should be), the best thing you can do is get vaccinated. You don't get to complain about the former, but refuse to do the latter in my opinion.

It wasn't so long ago that every child in Australia had to show proof of vaccination before being allowed enrolment into the school system. Vaccination eliminated diseases like Polio | Small Pox and until recent times when so called 'anti-vaccers' were allowed choice and voice - measles/mumps and chicken pox along with Tuberculosis hepatitis and a bunch of other deadly diseases.

The reason some of these diseases are now back in circulation is the anti-vaccer loonatics !!

I have no time or tolerance for people who are happy to put other innocents in danger by refusing to be immunized for their own and the common good.- none.

It's really important to understand that the vast majority of time spent on clinical trials under normal circumstances is spent (a) getting funding; and (b) finding enough volunteers with the disease for the trial. Usually (b) alone can take years but obviously, in this context, those two issues were taken off the table instantly. Money was thrown at it and there were plenty of people being exposed to COVID to test them on. The actual Trial itself only takes up a small part of the whole process that we think of as a clinical trial.

The other part of was that the vehicles used to developed these vaccines were actually already developed prior to the pandemic. The only delay was cracking the genetic code, which happened in January. Statistically, these vaccine were approved with about the same amount of data as any other. But even if you were concerned about the speed, we're now 12 months down the road. Billions of doses have been provided. As I said, if you're getting the vaccine now, you're benefitting from the largest clinical trial in human history.

Let me tell you, I have zero love for pharmaceutical companies. They are rapacious fu**s (although AZ reckon they are selling the vaccine at cost). But that is a separate question to whether the vaccines are safe (yes) and the only realistic way that we'll get back to 'normal' (yes).

If you're worried about the economic and psychological impacts of lockdowns (as we all should be), the best thing you can do is get vaccinated. You don't get to complain about the former, but refuse to do the latter in my opinion.

It hasn't worked in the UK, and now they are discovering that people who have been getting vaccinated against the Flu are more likely to catch Covid, even if they are vaccinated.

Isn't it amazing...When HIV was running havoc they discovered the complicated and very expensive antiretroviral therapy, which does not cure you, but manages the virus and makes the Pharma's billions in profit. 40 years on and no major breakthrough with HIV, just more expensive drugs.
Now we have the same for Covid, but we have the Delta strain and now the new Lamda strain which is supposedly immune to any treatment.
Another drug to be developed, and another drug for Governments to have to pay.

What possible motivation could any Pharma company have to find a cure???? Same with cancer. They make billions on the Chemotherapy drugs, but again what motivation would they have to find a cure??

It hasn't worked in the UK, and now they are discovering that people who have been getting vaccinated against the Flu are more likely to catch Covid, even if they are vaccinated.

Isn't it amazing...When HIV was running havoc they discovered the complicated and very expensive antiretroviral therapy, which does not cure you, but manages the virus and makes the Pharma's billions in profit. 40 years on and no major breakthrough with HIV, just more expensive drugs.
Now we have the same for Covid, but we have the Delta strain and now the new Lamda strain which is supposedly immune to any treatment.
Another drug to be developed, and another drug for Governments to have to pay.

What possible motivation could any Pharma company have to find a cure???? Same with cancer. They make billions on the Chemotherapy drugs, but again what motivation would they have to find a cure??
MB not sure where your getting your info from. The UK rollout has been a huge success and is the blueprint for the exit of all our lockdown strategy. (I am a British Citizen) Brother is a doctor at Chelsea Westminster Hospital. Incidently where both our kids were born before moving back home. The NHS is now also running booster jabs along side flu shots owing to the effecacy of both. The UK are just shy of 80% vaccination of all adults over 18 and are now vaccinating down in age brackets from 18 yo descending. Currently only 4 % of hospitalisations in the UK have been vaccinated (NHS 2021) Hospitalisation rates in the UK have fallen off a cliff and deaths accordingly. There are becoming crazy distortion of numbers coming out owing to a basic lack of understanding of statistics. In a nutshell if 80% of the population is vaccinated then percentage of vaccinated individuals making up an increasing cohort of any statistical reference is a given. Hospitalisations and deaths are the key numbers and they are where we would expect relative to influenza deaths and associated comorbidities.

Your point re big Pharma is a seperate issue tricky not to conflate the two and it is not nice but they profit off illness... That is what they do. They sell the remedy not the cure.

It is incumbent on public and private enterprise to profit off the development and distribution of cures. They are two seperate sectors in a constant battle for supremecy. Fortunately the latter is making huge headway into the cure side of things.

Having lived first hand of both inlaws coming down with Covid in Colombia (father vaccinated owing to age bracket) equated it to a bad flu. My mother inlaw (10yrs younger) so fell outside the critical vaccine remit and was unvaccinated. Was in intensive care for 2 weeks, induced coma and ventilator. Owing to luck and private health insurance she pulled through. It's not a pretty experience being based in Melbourne with a wife being zoomed in for last good byes only for her to pull through.

Our isolation has bread a level of complacency that is really misunderstood unfortunately. The sooner we vaccine our way out regardless of whose profiteering out of it the sooner we get things open and back to a closer form of normal.

Stay safe, as I head to the pub for a quick beer before another lock down coming down the pipe.

I’m not entirely sure if this random (not really political as such)- to a degree comment is ok.

regarding going to footy matches next year, what are people’s thoughts on the covid passport as that looks like it will be the way it shall go?

my guns n Roses concert at the G has now been postponed from November to March next year and 99 percent will likely need the passport to attend.

I’m sure there are mixed opinions here but what does an avid supporter do?

I’m not entirely sure if this random (not really political as such)- to a degree comment is ok.

regarding going to footy matches next year, what are people’s thoughts on the covid passport as that looks like it will be the way it shall go?

my guns n Roses concert at the G has now been postponed from November to March next year and 99 percent will likely need the passport to attend.

I’m sure there are mixed opinions here but what does an avid supporter do?
FB the vaccine passport route will end up being the only way fwd for managing large events, getting to the footy etc. They are already using it in the UK and the US as well in some states. Was chatting to a client who was in Maine in the US. She said that Covid was barely a topic of conversation where they were staying. 80% of the state are vaccinated and she said you were just asked your vaccine status at restaurants, shops, events etc everywhere, but completely open no restrictions. Re travel that will become the status quo once we start to open up. No jab, no fly.

Whilst the Wilkinson article has been shared and we are on the topic of Goodes and racism, to anyone, who still doubts whether the booing was racially motivated, have a look at the increasing level of dismissive people on social media, criticising Eddie Betts And his stance on racism.

The more Eddie speaks out against racism and takes a stance, the more threatened the Neanderthals become, the comments on the HS article after his interview on 360 were disgusting and will only get worse, the more he speaks.
Dumb is gonna dumb.

Like saying more Covid deaths means more anti-vaxers.

This tweet sums it up rather well.

Dumb is gonna dumb.

Like saying more Covid deaths means more anti-vaxers.

This tweet sums it up rather well.

im sorry but it’s not the same at all.

The more Adam Goodes spoke out about indigenous issues and racism, the more abuse and racism he suffered, the same thing IMO is happening with Betts, I’ve noticed an increase in people saying pretty rotten things, on the news articles he’s in and it seems that incidents of racist abuse has increased the last few years not decreased.

Now I’d hope as a whole, these instances are just a shrinking minority, getting louder as they feel more threatened, but thata not what I’ve noticed in regards to Betts.

I loved the tweet, spot on, just disagree with the vax comparison.

I have a question. Is the point of your post to assert that dumb people are a fact of life?

Hmmm I sorta drew this from it ..

helicoptercap.gif
HowDareYou1.gif

Maybe its just me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back