Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It comes down to how you evaluate success, killing the least amount of people or saving the most money or the least inconvenience etc.

Our nanny state method has been ultra successful in containing death and even mass spread but has cost freedoms and money. The US is like a third world country healthcare system, it will have spread a lot more there than people know about. People are reticent to go to seek medical advise if they don't have money. Getting ill can cost you everything if you're not insured and still cost heaps if you are.

Places like India are the same. You don't access healthcare there unless you are rich. They won't have tested certain demographics so have skewed data. New Zealand and Western Australia have probably handled it the best of any places in the world and they were hardcore lockdown fans. Ironically they had the least financial carnage and the least loss of overall freedom.....even compared with countries that have reopened. Europe is still locking down and has no return to how it was before yet. Places like Western Australia have.
I'm wondering whether or not our restrictions were disproportionate to the capability of our healthcare system. Why couldn't a developed nation (or state) like ours handle a bigger influx of cases? We were locked down like we are now for a less serious strain a year ago, and they said they made improvements and spent money on upgrades since then. I just don't get how we cannot cope with a couple thousand cases a day (most of which won't be serious). I don't know because they haven't given that information to us. It's just odd.

I'm wondering whether or not our restrictions were disproportionate to the capability of our healthcare system. Why couldn't a developed nation (or state) like ours handle a bigger influx of cases? We were locked down like we are now for a less serious strain a year ago, and they said they made improvements and spent money on upgrades since then. I just don't get how we cannot cope with a couple thousand cases a day (most of which won't be serious). I don't know because they haven't given that information to us. It's just odd.

Because there are only so many staff that can be carried just in case I guess. You don't have 500 extra staff on call in case of a pandemic. Part of it is the way health care has been stripped away to hand money to health insurance companies and private hospitals while eating money out of the public budget.

Privatisation was designed to give the money that we used to use to have world class health care into private companies. The greatest lie that they ever spun us was that selling all our essential services was more cost effective and efficient. It was a cynical cash grab.

We also used to bring in a lot of overseas staff to man hospitals and just when we need to add to our staff we have no access to overseas workers. Hopefully after this we get a kick in the balls and start to change up some systems.

The 200 now is only 200 because we are locked down as well. Open the door and the 200 can turn into 2000 in a couple of weeks and the 2000 turn to 20,000 a few weeks after that.

Maybe a thread ban would stop it from showing up in your feed?
I did enjoy the thread .....however , recently it had deteriorated to such an extent that the thread descriptor "No Politics No Religion" etc had become a laughable contradiction to its reality. I enjoyed it prior to the last few weeks...... furthermore, I enjoyed the odd politically accented spitball that was thrown in, understanding full well that even a vigilant Moderator would find it tough to keep the thread pristine in content. Neither should he, however, notwithstanding flexibility being a commendable attribute in the role of Moderating, the thread started to be moderated with the flexibility of melting cheese.
It started to just ooze from the confines of the sandwich parameters onto the plate and with no sign of bounce back, stretch lagubriously onto the floor into a tawdry cesspit of random personal bias and subjective political grind.
I really came to be fond of this thread prior to this period of self indulgence, so I hoped for a while that it would be moderated towards the light...alas it was not to be....hence my post. I'd rather not 'ignore' the thread and I really wouldn't want it shut down but felt the comment should be made.

I did enjoy the thread .....however , recently it had deteriorated to such an extent that the thread descriptor "No Politics No Religion" etc had become a laughable contradiction to its reality. I enjoyed it prior to the last few weeks...... furthermore, I enjoyed the odd politically accented spitball that was thrown in, understanding full well that even a vigilant Moderator would find it tough to keep the thread pristine in content. Neither should he, however, notwithstanding flexibility being a commendable attribute in the role of Moderating, the thread started to be moderated with the flexibility of melting cheese.
It started to just ooze from the confines of the sandwich parameters onto the plate and with no sign of bounce back, stretch lagubriously onto the floor into a tawdry cesspit of random personal bias and subjective political grind.
I really came to be fond of this thread prior to this period of self indulgence, so I hoped for a while that it would be moderated towards the light...alas it was not to be....hence my post. I'd rather not 'ignore' the thread and I really wouldn't want it shut down but felt the comment should be made.

Maybe we should start the Random Random, no politics or covid thread.

In WA we have very free lives and I feel 'guilty' that we get to live our lives so openly while a lot of my family in Victoria have been subject to lockdown for an extended period. With the price of iron ore coming down rapidly in recent times the time will come for Mr McGowan (who doubles as treasurer and premier) to actually think about what to do, instead of watching a $5 billion surplus fall in his lap through an inflated iron ore price. My heart goes out to all health workers in the hospitals who are on the frontline of Covid, they are unbelievably brave and stoic and deserve all of the plaudits that come their way.

Because there are only so many staff that can be carried just in case I guess. You don't have 500 extra staff on call in case of a pandemic. Part of it is the way health care has been stripped away to hand money to health insurance companies and private hospitals while eating money out of the public budget.

Privatisation was designed to give the money that we used to use to have world class health care into private companies. The greatest lie that they ever spun us was that selling all our essential services was more cost effective and efficient. It was a cynical cash grab.

We also used to bring in a lot of overseas staff to man hospitals and just when we need to add to our staff we have no access to overseas workers. Hopefully after this we get a kick in the balls and start to change up some systems.

The 200 now is only 200 because we are locked down as well. Open the door and the 200 can turn into 2000 in a couple of weeks and the 2000 turn to 20,000 a few weeks after that.
I guess you could use those excuses at the beginning but we are almost two years into it, we've had enough time to sort it out I would've thought. Is 200 really our capacity? We must have the cleaners helping out too.

NSW has 3 times the active cases ( if they are even testing/diagnosing all cases now ) , but 6 times as many in Hospital, and 5 times as many in intensive care.
And we are getting to those numbers a lot quicker than it took NSW to get there even in full lockdown and are in our 6th lockdown

And we are getting to numbers a lot quicker than it took NSW to get there even in full lockdown
This is also really bizarre. There's a lot of stuff that just doesn't make any sense.

Another construction union Protest today

Why are the police not taking the same action they did against Saturdays protest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess you could use those excuses at the beginning but we are almost two years into it, we've had enough time to sort it out I would've thought. Is 200 really our capacity? We must have the cleaners helping out too.

It's not a straight forward thing. Say you have 800 public hospital general doctors, 2000 nurses, 300 extra staff like porters, cleaners, compliance and admin staff etc. You have an outbreak at Frankston where there 100 doctors, 50 day and 50 night and then one ward takes in a Covid patient. It shuts down a ward and the cleaning and nursing staff mingle and potentially spread it. You lose a heap of staff and then they have to be moved from another hospital to make up for the furloughed staff. After a while you start to make holes all through the system. The less spread the better because it keeps compounding.

Another construction union Protest today

Why are the police not taking the same action they did against Saturdays protest

They should, ******* idiots. Those other guys were confronting police while the tradies are sitting still I guess. Watching the news the other night one fat campaigner was interviewed and said "* off Dan, now I have to eat a cold lunch". These guys have jobs and earning well and crack the shits about not using the microwave and having a cup of Maxwell House in a plastic cup. They should pepper spray them as well just for being * wits. If you were trying to make people think you're a campaigner you couldn't do a better job than they are.

Yeah a bit more than twice as many.
But like i said, 3 times as many active cases, and lots more in Hospital.

Maybe its climate affects , not sure , but it really doesn't add up.
Their outbreak started well before our Delta outbreak, going on Stats we will be at those numbers a lot quicker then they got there.

Have a lot more test per day then what we are

How many are they doing compared to us? Last time I got tested there was hardly anyone there. The other times it was absolutely packed and took hours.

NSW has 3 times the active cases ( if they are even testing/diagnosing all cases now ) , but 6 times as many in Hospital, and 5 times as many in intensive care.
What’s the lag period on how long it takes to get sick? I suspect if you take todays hospitalization rate in NSW, compared to the case rate of 2 weeks ago for instance, and then compare it to todays case rate in Victoria vs hospitalizations in 2 weeks time and you might get a fairer comparison

How many are they doing compared to us? Last time I got tested there was hardly anyone there. The other times it was absolutely packed and took hours.
They had 100,000 tests last week and people complained that the numbers were down. It’s not uncommon for 115,000 to 120,000.
You have to remember too, NSW had implemented a rule that if you live in an LGA of concern and work outside of that LGA, you must be tested often.

They should, ******* idiots. Those other guys were confronting police while the tradies are sitting still I guess. Watching the news the other night one fat campaigner was interviewed and said "fu** off Dan, now I have to eat a cold lunch". These guys have jobs and earning well and crack the shits about not using the microwave and having a cup of Maxwell House in a plastic cup. They should pepper spray them as well just for being fu** wits. If you were trying to make people think you're a campaigner you couldn't do a better job than they are.
If Saturdays protest was given the same free passage as thewse clowns there would've been no violence Saturday. The double standards give me the shits

Have a look at how many of todays cases have construction sites involvement

This is also really bizarre. There's a lot of stuff that just doesn't make any sense.
I wonder how much of it has to do with the weather. QLD easily defeated their outbreak - nice warm sunny weather. Melbournes outbreak last year stuck around all through winter, whereas Sydney’s outbreak in December was handled quite easily without a lockdown.

Their outbreak started well before our Delta outbreak, going on Stats we will be at those numbers a lot quicker then they got there.

Unless we vaccinate out of it. If we can move fast we might hold it down a bit. Their weather should make it a bit better for them soon too, they are getting low to mid 20s days by this time of year.

They had 100,000 tests last week and people complained that the numbers were down. It’s not uncommon for 115,000 to 120,000.
You have to remember too, NSW had implemented a rule that if you live in an LGA of concern and work outside of that LGA, you must be tested often.

Why don't we do that here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back