Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you’re in the 5% who get something out of it, congrats!

Clearly I can’t quantify it exactly, but based on a straw poll of fellow travellers, friends and acquaintances, etc.

I’ve been to Egypt, Turkey, Russia, China, all of Europe, the US multiple times.

Fundamentally life is about the people for me. Most people when they travel only get surface connections with the people there (certainly true of me). Travelling to relatives is obviously an exception to this.

Still don't know how you put a percentage on it. I think you are way off track.

Although I had travelled a little beforehand, my first big trip was a year long around the world (first trip to Aus) when I got married.
We travelled on a budget of $25 a day, stayed in youth hostels and other such places and met people from far flung countries we still correspond with decades later. It was an incredible experience and lit the flame that ensures we travel now as regularly as we can, depending on work and finance commitments. it has educated us and enriched us considerably.

We are not the types to booze our way around the world, so maybe that is the type of people you are speaking to.

How anyone can speak for the whole of the international travelling public has got me beat.

I have travelled extensively through Asia Europe and the Pacific since the 1980's and while drinking took precedence when I was younger, travelling to Europe for extended times was no easy thing and no 'gap' year. We went, worked in low paid jobs, and travelled when we could afford it to different spots.

Since the kids have grown we have been through Asia, walked the great Wall, travelled on a slow boat down the Yangtze River, been on Safari in Sri Lanka, walked the 1110 vertical steps of Sigiriya, seen the majesty of Great cities like Tokyo, Hanoi, Prague, Budapest, Dublin, Shanghai, Vienna, Kyoto, Hong Kong.
Have been sitting in 47 deg heated water in an Onsen in the mountains of Shikoko, have seen the remnants of great empires, have been to Auschwitz in Poland, have been to the Cavern in Liverpool, travelled the whole of Ireland, hav stood on deck of the Victory where Nelson was shot, have been to Anzac Cove.

This is from the top of my head and it is not bragging, I know and appreciate how fortunate i am. Haven't even mentioned the museums, galleries, palaces and cultural events I have been to. Every one an experience in learning. Not always pleasant but travel is not just for fun, if you have the opportunity and fortunate enough to be able to, it is a wonderful thing to do.

So I love travelling OS. Can't wait to get back to Europe, but in the meanwhile I am so excited that I am travelling in my own country in June from Darwin to Broome. Again a learning experience to learn about a part of the country I have never witnessed and more on the indigenous people who are custodians of much of the land. I am looking so forward to seeing Kakadu, and the Kimberley, the awesome scenery, gorges, mountains and desert.

Travelling within your own country or overseas is not mutually exclusive. I feel pity for anyone with such a small minded and xenophobic view. It is just sad and ignorant in my view.

Agree 100% ( not just 95%)

I was thinking of going of going overseas last year. Then a small thing called Covid 19 happened.
Now its probably off the cards.

Maybe this year, but start planning for 2022! :)

* Just try not to be away in September!

Still don't know how you put a percentage on it. I think you are way off track.

Although I had travelled a little beforehand, my first big trip was a year long around the world (first trip to Aus) when I got married.
We travelled on a budget of $25 a day, stayed in youth hostels and other such places and met people from far flung countries we still correspond with decades later. It was an incredible experience and lit the flame that ensures we travel now as regularly as we can, depending on work and finance commitments. it has educated us and enriched us considerably.

We are not the types to booze our way around the world, so maybe that is the type of people you are speaking to.

Agree 100% ( not just 95%)
I think it's 5% that don't get something out of it haha

I find it interesting that these two companies have business models built on monetising other people’s data but when those other people attempt to get value for their data, these two cut up badly.
Causes me some giggles.
Anyway, this argument is as old as time itself: content provider versus distribution channel.
Murdoch had the same problem in the 90’s.
He solved his problem by building his own distribution channel.
It will be interesting to see how this resolves.
Either way, the Big Tech business models are now facing some headwinds.
That's just incorrect frankly. Google and Facebook make more money for Newscorp and Fairfax than vice versa and it's not even close. These two parasitic "news" companies then have the audacity to try and scrounge out a little more and get called on it.

That's just incorrect frankly. Google and Facebook make more money for Newscorp and Fairfax than vice versa and it's not even close. These two parasitic "news" companies then have the audacity to try and scrounge out a little more and get called on it.

So if i google some crap about the AFL and see a link to a news.com website, google are supposed to pay them for that?
If the content that i see in the search engine is not available because its behind a paywall , are google paying for content that doesn't exist.
Then I'm meant to pay for it as well?

Then there are news and other organisations ( including the government ) who make Facebook pages.
They are essentially using Facebook, because its quicker and cheaper than making a real webpage.

So if i google some crap about the AFL and see a link to a news.com website, google are supposed to pay them for that?
If the content that i see in the search engine is not available because its behind a paywall , are google paying for content that doesn't exist.
Then I'm meant to pay for it as well?

Then there are news and other organisations ( including the government ) who make Facebook pages.
They are essentially using Facebook, because its quicker and cheaper than making a real webpage.
Yeah it's pretty insane to assert that newscorp or fairfax were getting the raw end of the deal even before this complete bullshit legislation.

Newscorp is apparently losing money hand over fist,

They have not adapted to the mass internet age, free market capitalism says adapt or be made redundant

Newscorp is apparently losing money hand over fist,

They have not adapted to the mass internet age, free market capitalism says adapt or be made redundant

I don't use them because of paywall, and i find plenty of other free options except for editorial crap from the likes of slobbo.
Purely based on my own observation of this, i would not pay for advertising on their site.
I'm sure research figures would paint a similar picture.

I don't use them because of paywall, and i find plenty of other free options except for editorial crap from the likes of slobbo.
Purely based on my own observation of this, i would not pay for advertising on their site.
I'm sure research figures would paint a similar picture.
HS's footy coverage has gone rapidly downhill.

Its just slobbo and supercoach.

ABC had some ripper footy articles last year though

I got really pissed off at the sensationalist lack of facts and strong use of innuendo in 2009, at a time when there were a couple of club scandals, and when collingwood issues were not being reported.
I didn't continue my subscription and i haven't subscribed since.
Good to see i may have contributed to something worthwhile.

I got really pissed off at the sensationalist lack of facts and strong use of innuendo in 2009, at a time when there were a couple of club scandals, and when collingwood issues were not being reported.
I didn't continue my subscription and i haven't subscribed since.
Good to see i may have contributed to something worthwhile.
Fairfax were also going along with it.

Still yet to see Caro apologize for her shithouse reporting on our club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh?
Why is this relevant to my post?
Or are you just flexing your cancel culture bias again?

That is the beauty of traveling, its up to you to find what you want to see and visit.

Im a sucker for a good museum and castle

I get site fatigue after a couple of them and prefer to get out and meet locals and have a chat, make some connections and all that. I hate airbnb but staying in the burbs in an Italian city or town and going to the same places locals go is amazing. One of my best memories was going to Praiano, we were in the little piazza outside a church at sunset and the little kids grabbed my son and got him to play soccer with them, we were there until the parents all came out of church at about 9.30 at night then got the invite to have a drink with them all despite my high school Italian being totally useless in understanding anything they were saying. It was more of an experience that going to a museum or sitting on the beach there. The mum of the guy who owned the villa we stayed in would bring us supplies from her garden to cook dinner despite there being a little local shop to go to a few door up the road and countless restaurants. I miss travelling so much.

My in-laws have a really nice holiday house but I find going to the same place boring and would rather experience something totally different. Technically where they are in the peninsula is probably nearly as nice as the Amalfi but there is something about a different culture and country that make it special. I have been to touristy places and hated them but trying to escape them is part of the fun too. Same in oz I guess though. I like going to s**t little ghost towns on a road trip more than going to tourist spots.

I get site fatigue after a couple of them and prefer to get out and meet locals and have a chat

Have to admit I have had the eyes glaze over a few times. The Sissi Palace in Vienna was one such time, the opulence was overwhelming and considering we were doing central Europe, i.e the old Hapsburg empire castles and Cathederals routine, I was palace fatigued by then.

The Pergumum museum in Berlin was another but reckoned I was jetlagged. Berlin and London are my two favourite cities of all time in Europe. Nagasaki, Hanoi, and Xian in Asia.
Favourite destination. Sri Lanka by a country mile, would live there if I could.

Every Fijian dreams of seeing the world. Every single one. 100%. I think it’s hard coded in our DNA. Small island + big horizon = predilection to travel.

My father would sail to and from boarding school at the start and end of the school year. Can you imagine getting into one of these and setting off into the blue with no landmarks to guide you?

44a19324786fdc418683a5a279431c0d.jpg

I travelled abroad and discovered the Saints. My life is immeasurably richer for my travels.

Have to admit I have had the eyes glaze over a few times. The Sissi Palace in Vienna was one such time, the opulence was overwhelming and considering we were doing central Europe, i.e the old Hapsburg empire castles and Cathederals routine, I was palace fatigued by then.

The Pergumum museum in Berlin was another but reckoned I was jetlagged. Berlin and London are my two favourite cities of all time in Europe. Nagasaki, Hanoi, and Xian in Asia.
Favourite destination. Sri Lanka by a country mile, would live there if I could.

I love Sri Lanka, I wanted to live in Kandy. I found this colonial run down building for sale but couldn't get a loan for it and found that the overseas ownership laws make it impossible to get hold of realestate. I was imagining a nice restaurant in there and renovating it for w***ers like me to stay in upstairs. I know a woman who's family are Sri Lankan but she wasn't keen to do it with me. Kandy needs a good restaurant, the food is the worst in the country but it's the nicest city IMO.

Did you stay in the Bawa hotel and Kandelama? It's my favourite hotel in the world. It's like a Bond villain designed it compete with teams of thieving monkeys.

Every Fijian dreams of seeing the world. Every single one. 100%. I think it’s hard coded in our DNA. Small island + big horizon = predilection to travel.

My father would sail to and from boarding school at the start and end of the school year. Can you imagine getting into one of these and setting off into the blue with no landmarks to guide you?

44a19324786fdc418683a5a279431c0d.jpg

I travelled abroad and discovered the Saints. My life is immeasurably richer for my travels.

Have you read any of the Thor Heyerdahl stories? His Kontiki expedition is awesome, takes a reed raft to the pacific islands from South America. Some nutter like your dad set of from the South Pacific and managed to get to Hawaii and Easter Island long before that too, that must have been a long ride in a small boat.

In all seriousness when and if we get back to normal the wife and I will definitely be doing some overseas travel. Out of all the people I know not one has said they didn’t enjoy it or wouldn’t do it again
I was hoping to do it before taking the plunge into the housing market, get a partner and whatnot.
Without getting a better paying job it will have to be going overseas or paying off house.

I was hoping to do it before taking the plunge into the housing market, get a partner and whatnot.
Without getting a better paying job it will have to be going overseas or paying off house.
Are you a welder PS ?

Have you read any of the Thor Heyerdahl stories? His Kontiki expedition is awesome, takes a reed raft to the pacific islands from South America. Some nutter like your dad set of from the South Pacific and managed to get to Hawaii and Easter Island long before that too, that must have been a long ride in a small boat.
The Kontiki Expedition was required reading for us at school! They were balsa logs from memory. He was trying to prove that Polynesian settlement emanated from the East (South America) and not the West (Australasia) as was the commonly held theory at the time.

I love Sri Lanka, I wanted to live in Kandy. I found this colonial run down building for sale but couldn't get a loan for it and found that the overseas ownership laws make it impossible to get hold of realestate. I was imagining a nice restaurant in there and renovating it for w***ers like me to stay in upstairs. I know a woman who's family are Sri Lankan but she wasn't keen to do it with me. Kandy needs a good restaurant, the food is the worst in the country but it's the nicest city IMO.

Did you stay in the Bawa hotel and Kandelama? It's my favourite hotel in the world. It's like a Bond villain designed it compete with teams of thieving monkeys.
Stayed just out of Kandy on the hill overlooking the lake really nice hotel except for the monkey's trying to break into the room. Awesome city. Temple of the Tooth with all the pilgrims was one of the greatest experiences of my travels.

Was going to do Perahera last year but covid and s**t.

Monkeys making themselves at home on our balcony 20190821_065045.jpeg

The Kontiki Expedition was required reading for us at school! They were balsa logs from memory. He was trying to prove that Polynesian settlement emanated from the East (South America) and not the West (Australasia) as was the commonly held theory at the time.
Same with us in 70's Australia. I thought it was the greatest adventure story I had ever read.
Recent movie was pretty good.
Polynesians travelling hey? Cook goes to Tahiti in 1769 and one of the chiefs jumps onboard and travels to England with him. Cant remember his name but was invaluable to Cook even in New Zealand where Maori could understand him. Pretty useless in Australia though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back