Random Discussion Thread 139- Slippery Slopes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong with the worst percentage in the AFLW is playing finals. Carlton is hosting Freo with a far inferior record. North is missing with a 5-2 record.

Who would have expected a 10 team comp with a 7 game season wouldn't work with conferences? Except everyone pre season who complained about it.
Absolute debacle this, a disgrace

Thought about this last night (the 17-5 concept) and how to best manage an even fixture when teams only play less than a third of the competition twice and the rest only once

Give each team one guaranteed double - so there’s two derbies, two showdowns, two Q clashes and two Sydney whatever’s. Vic clubs get paired off.

That means 18 set in stone games a season. The other 4 games are based on a rolling fixture where clubs play each of the other 16 clubs twice over a 4 year period. Yes it will still result in an uneven draw as sides fortunes fluctuate from season to season but at least its structured arrangement rather than the arbitrary set up we have now

Also, clubs should be H-A-H-A for perpetuity so when you play a team at home your next match should be away

And whilst I’m on a roll, every side plays each other once before they play any other side twice

Thought about this last night (the 17-5 concept) and how to best manage an even fixture when teams only play less than a third of the competition twice and the rest only once

Give each team one guaranteed double - so there’s two derbies, two showdowns, two Q clashes and two Sydney whatever’s. Vic clubs get paired off.

That means 18 set in stone games a season. The other 4 games are based on a rolling fixture where clubs play each of the other 16 clubs twice over a 4 year period. Yes it will still result in an uneven draw as sides fortunes fluctuate from season to season but at least its structured arrangement rather than the arbitrary set up we have now

Also, clubs should be H-A-H-A for perpetuity so when you play a team at home your next match should be away

And whilst I’m on a roll, every side plays each other once before they play any other side twice
Is that how it used to be? I feel like the system was like this way back when

The last part was, pre GCS expansion Rounds 16-22 were the same as 1-7, with home teams reversed. You played everyone once before you played anyone twice.

Yep this. The AFL said it moved away from the traditional play every one once first format because it gave them greater scheduling flexibility

The cynic in me suggests it was more about a mixed fixture disguising the impact that an uneven draw creates

Unpopular opinion - I like the idea of 17-5. If structured properly.
I just don't see a feasible way of doing it, not being able to lock in fixtures before the season. Plus the way the AFL have talked about doing it you could easily end up with the farcical situation of a team finishing 7th having more wins than the team finishing 6th or 5th even.

I just don't see a feasible way of doing it, not being able to lock in fixtures before the season. Plus the way the AFL have talked about doing it you could easily end up with the farcical situation of a team finishing 7th having more wins than the team finishing 6th or 5th even.
It’s not as farcical as it sounds when you consider the top 6 teams have a tougher draw for their final 5 matches.
It has the benefit of being a more pure fixture too. Every team plays every other team once, for the benefit of making the top 6. Followed by the bracket of 5. As opposed to now where you might jag an easy set of 5 double ups and are competing directly for position against teams with a tougher set of double ups.
It ain’t perfect but there’s a certain elegance to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not as farcical as it sounds when you consider the top 6 teams have a tougher draw for their final 5 matches.
It has the benefit of being a more pure fixture too. Every team plays every other team once, for the benefit of making the top 6. Followed by the bracket of 5. As opposed to now where you might jag an easy set of 5 double ups and are competing directly for position against teams with a tougher set of double ups.
It ain’t perfect but there’s a certain elegance to it.
Nah I'm really not a fan. You're basically (the top 6) playing finals for 9 weeks instead of 4. Would be better off playing everyone once and then have your special double up game (derbies etc) then just rotate through the league with the rest of your double ups. So over a 4 year period you've played everyone 5 times and your derby opponent 8 times.

You got a feel a bit for freo with this sort of news. That said you gotta sort of question Freos system.
DC05FB54-DDB8-46CE-B81D-B3B35C6DE2CD.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back