Random Discussion Thread 139- Slippery Slopes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsehole livestreamed it, also asked viewers to Subscribe to PewDiePie...

I was busy at work when this s**t happened. I genuinely feel flat after reading up on the attack. I just can't understand how someone can harbour so much hate.

One of my regular customers is from Christchurch and she had a distraught look on her face.

I was busy at work when this s**t happened. I genuinely feel flat after reading up on the attack. I just can't understand how someone can harbour so much hate.

One of my regular customers is from Christchurch and she had a distraught look on her face.

Do yourself a favour and favour is definitely not the right word and have a stroll through 8chan /pol/. It's filled with the vilest s**t. They egged him on and are eulogising him now. That's where all the meme culture and nonsense in his video/manifesto come from. He was shitposting in real life, mentioning Spyro as his inspiration, which was obviously taking the piss out of violent games = violence.

It's the far-right's version of jihadi forums, radicalising young nuts. I'm more convinced than ever that the internet will be the destruction of us all. If you want an echo chamber for your hate, you've got it. If you want an algorithm telling you exactly what you want to hear, FB/Youtube/Google will give it to you. I honestly don't see how democracy can function going forward, the US shows just how easy it is to manipulate an election. All you have to do is play up to people's biases, insert some fake news and done.

What most surprised me about the whole thing was that you could actually buy those weapons in New Zealand. That is just crazy. I found this article talking about the issue in November, it mentions how things only get done after tragedies and now we have this.

Tragic and disgusting. An Australian too. It's sickening.

Edit: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/108663673/duck-for-cover-gun-laws-up-for-debate

There's that story I referenced if you're interested. Gun lobbies have so much blood on their hands. Thank god the public appetite for weakening gun-control in Aus is nil-none and nuts like Leyonhjelm don't get much traction.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favour and favour is definitely not the right word and have a stroll through 8chan /pol/. It's filled with the vilest s**t. They egged him on and are eulogising him now. That's where all the meme culture and nonsense in his video/manifesto come from. He was shitposting in real life, mentioning Spyro as his inspiration, which was obviously taking the piss out of violent games = violence.

It's the far-right's version of jihadi forums, radicalising young nuts. I'm more convinced than ever that the internet will be the destruction of us all. If you want an echo chamber for your hate, you've got it. If you want an algorithm telling you exactly what you want to hear, FB/Youtube/Google will give it to you. I honestly don't see how democracy can function going forward, the US shows just how easy it is to manipulate an election. All you have to do is play up to people's biases, insert some fake news and done.

What most surprised me about the whole thing was that you could actually buy those weapons in New Zealand. That is just crazy. I found this article talking about the issue in November, it mentions how things only get done after tragedies and now we have this.

I know about 4chan, but what is 8chan, and how do they differ?

I remember looking at pr0n on 4chan back in the day

Where the hell did he actually get the guns? I never realised that NZ had unstrict gun laws, or they might actually be the same as Australia and the campaigner just smuggled them in.

Last edited:

Yeah i read a bit of that thread. genuinely vile human beings.

Look, Australia has its fair share of its racists dickheads but as an immigrant i've alway felt that Australia being a racist country is a bit exaggerated. I've would have never expected an Aussie or Kiwi to do this kind of thing. Very naive thinking from me there.

Man some of the FB comments were just shocking. Dailymail comments section is where the cesspit of society congregate. How can people laugh or agree about the brutal murder of 50 innocent people.

Also how are these sites not regulated by authorities? If this bloke was Muslim he would have definitely been on some watch list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to change the subject or anything, but does Jamie Cripps have a brother? I saw a guy at Sydney airport that looked exactly like him, but skinnier and shorter. Even had the same arm hair.

I know about 4chan, but what is 8chan, and how do they differ?

I remember looking at pr0n on 4chan back in the day

As a teen I was a bit of a /b/ dickhead in the early aughts, but it was just nonsense and memes. I think the broader community migrated to Reddit etc. and left the crazies.

My understanding is 8chan is even a bit looser than 4chan. So when 4chan cracked down (a little) some of them moved on, but it's the same sort of s**t.

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 8.22.52 PM.png
I listen to this song pretty regularly and in fact was listening to it on the way to work this morning. Never really payed too much attention to the lyrics but the above part is 100% spot on.

Serious? Bit of a long bow.
Not really. Im one of those people that read Fb comments when bored and it's an observation based over many comments I've read over the years.

BTW not having a crack at people who didn't go to uni or school. Because school or University is not the end all.

Not really. Im one of those people that read Fb comments when bored and it's an observation based over many comments I've read over the years.

BTW not having a crack at people who didn't go to uni or school. Because school or University is not the end all.
Well both terminologies are Australian which have been around for generations. They have absolutely nothing to do with racism or misogyny. I have heard many people use them including, recently an Aussie of Indian background and, over the years, many females. I really don't know where you are coming from.

Well both terminologies are Australian which have been around for generations. They have absolutely nothing to do with racism or misogyny. I have heard many people use them including, recently an Aussie of Indian background and, over the years, many females. I really don't know where you are coming from.

I think he's just saying that the people that put that on their FB are probably a bit more bogan or let's be honest, poor and maybe more willing to share their unsavoury views.

For mine, the real scum are the rich racists that dog-whistle racist beliefs but hide behind their veil of legitimacy. They stir up immigrant hatred and pedal narratives like 'they're coming to steal our jobs'. Distracting the less fortunate by giving them an enemy to blame their problems on and thus keeping the scum in power. All the while trying to cut social services and lower taxes for the 0.1%.

Your Murdochs, Abbotts, shock jocks etc. etc. Of course, it's not the slow erosion of the social safety net, rising inequality, the loss of well paying blue-collar jobs, unaffordable housing and capital flight offshore, it's migrants.

Unless of course, it's rich Chinese businessmen trying to launder their money through the Australian property market, pushing up housing prices exponentially. Obviously, that's fine, it makes the right people money.

Anyway. Yes. How about those Wildcats.

Very tough to beat when they have a second avenue to consistent scoring. Will be absolutely glorious if they win it this year, given the amount of heat they were given for only having two imports.

Norton and Kay, Boomers quality players, locked up for years in their prime. Bryce for two more years. Winning a championship this year in the later years of the transition from Damo/Hire/Wagstaff to a new core would be worth its weight in gold.

Also, * Chris Goulding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back