Random Discussion Thread 139- Slippery Slopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for bastmen who get run out backing up too far. The Ashwin one is interesting because I feel like he was in his bowling action when he stopped to run Buttler out, but ultimately you have to stay in your crease while the ball is live. It's against the spirit of the game because we've let players get away with it too long. I'd like to see a warning tbh but I'm not anti the Mankad.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He was in his crease at the point that Ashwin would normally have released the ball. Ashwin feigned bowling so that Buttler would walk out of his crease, waited for that to happen, then Mankad'd him. It's like a pitcher baulking in baseball to make the batter swing. Having said that, the MCC have sat on their hands too long with the Mankad and need to make a clear ruling on it. They can't use ambiguity to avoid their responsibilities.

That was horrible. How's the ref knocking his foot on the broken leg after

By that point he was probably in so much pain I doubt he noticed, but yeah, nice going ref.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
He was in his crease at the point that Ashwin would normally have released the ball. Ashwin feigned bowling so that Buttler would walk out of his crease, waited for that to happen, then Mankad'd him. It's like a pitcher baulking in baseball to make the batter swing. Having said that, the MCC have sat on their hands too long with the Mankad and need to make a clear ruling on it. They can't use ambiguity to avoid their responsibilities.

By that point he was probably in so much pain I doubt he noticed, but yeah, nice going ref.
Just proves all umpires are blind

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
First thing I noticed on seeing it. Not a great look for the observational powers of the official fraternity.

Nathan Brown level break. Poor guy.
campaigner doesn’t even check to see if he’s ok, just keeps shuffling off
Some of those NBA refs are terrible, they seem to have personal grudges against certain players/teams.

It's amazing how easily his leg just snapped like that, seemed so innocuous.

I’m not a cricket person by any stretch, but is it that big of a deal? You’re playing professional sport, it’s not cheating, how hard is it to stay in your crease? How has it become some unspeakable thing, to run out a guy who isn’t in his crease?

What’s the footy equivalent? Is there one?

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
its not the first time it's happened to Jos. He might actually be a serial offender.

Some of those NBA refs are terrible, they seem to have personal grudges against certain players/teams.

It's amazing how easily his leg just snapped like that, seemed so innocuous.
I saw a vid where he got tangled up earlier in the game and was in a fair bit of pain with that leg. Suspect he fractured it then and it simply let go on the landing.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Also not the first time Ashwins done this either.
Both that one and Senanayake's one the batter is out of his ground before the delivery. The most recent one Buttler was in the crease at the delivery point and Ashwin waited before the runout.

I don't disagree with the Mankad (props to Vinoo), but I think there needs to be some stricter controls around it. As it stands it is currently possible for a spinner to not deliver the ball and wait for the non-striker to walk out of his crease, and I don't understand why more of them don't do it.

I’m not a cricket person by any stretch, but is it that big of a deal? You’re playing professional sport, it’s not cheating, how hard is it to stay in your crease? How has it become some unspeakable thing, to run out a guy who isn’t in his crease?

What’s the footy equivalent? Is there one?
It’s kind of equivalent to something like Nick Riewoldt calling for the ball from Griffen Logue to con a 50. Within the rules but most players don’t try it.

Etiquette is you are supposed to give someone a warning first as well.

For a soccer analogy for you HoneyBadger35 , it would be like a team that kicks a ball out of play because of an injured player, and then the other team scores a winning goal from the resulting throw in (eg what Arsenal did in an FA cup tie in 1999, the game had to be replayed as a result)

Just one of those unwritten rules

Inside Bull

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
A common argument against the Mankad is that is against the spirit of the game.
I am conflicted about that. Isn't trying to sneak down the pitch and earn an advantage in a run out chance against the spirit of the game too?

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
A common argument against the Mankad is that is against the spirit of the game.
I am conflicted about that. Isn't trying to sneak down the pitch and earn an advantage in a run out chance against the spirit of the game too?
Nah, the game's about scoring runs, not getting out.

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Yeah, I have no issues with the Mankad. Don't leave your crease early. I do however, have an issue if bowlers deliberately "balk" to get a Mankad when a player isn't obviously leaving the crease early, so there is a grey area.

Lots of players leave their crease early to get a quick single and in T20 and 50 over games, there is obviously an incentive/reward for every run so fair enough to run them out in my view. In test, you can probably be a bit more lenient and give the warning.

Either way, the whole concept of "against the spirit of the game" is a bit daft. Fix the rules if it shouldn't be done. It's no more shitty a way to get out than when the batters smacks the ball straight down the other end and the bowler gets a finger on the ball to run the non-striker out.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
When a batsman is just slowly ambling like that, but doing it early, I thought standard practice was to abort the delivery and "fake" a Mankad (don't actually remove the bails) as a warning. If you do that, and the batsman then continues to go early, then it's fair game IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back