Random Discussion Thread 140- Club Folding Enthusiasts Only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

All I know is, if Masten plays this week and one of the commentators says "Masten sends a long bomb into the forward line" it will be the greatest thing ever.

Shame it won’t happen, Masten kicking inside 50 hits more **** than Chris Brown.

“Masten rifles it into the path of Kennedy” however...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this something I should be watching? Is there a prerequisite or desire to have watched other movies prior?

Short answer is if you haven’t been drawn to watching any of the prior Marvel movies, then this is probably not going to be a particularly engaging three hours for you.

Longer answer is it’s the culmination of a decade long, 20+ film franchise. It’s not going to have the same payoff without having at least seen like five to ten of the major films, as there’s loads of call backs and assumption that you know the backstory.

You definitely would want to have at least watched Infinity War before hand, but even that isn’t close to the full picture.

There are plenty of recaps of the full series online, but yeah it definitely would be a much more significant payoff if you’d seen them all. Probably a fairly confusing “who’s this and why are they doing _____” ride with no prior knowledge of the franchise.

I liked the end where Thanos faked his death to become a lumberjack and then ended up giving Aunt Robin a blue horn from their first date.

And Captain America finds Fury in the shower and realizes Infinity War was all a dream.

Short answer is if you haven’t been drawn to watching any of the prior Marvel movies, then this is probably not going to be a particularly engaging three hours for you.

Longer answer is it’s the culmination of a decade long, 20+ film franchise. It’s not going to have the same payoff without having at least seen like five to ten of the major films, as there’s loads of call backs and assumption that you know the backstory.

You definitely would want to have at least watched Infinity War before hand, but even that isn’t close to the full picture.

There are plenty of recaps of the full series online, but yeah it definitely would be a much more significant payoff if you’d seen them all. Probably a fairly confusing “who’s this and why are they doing _____” ride with no prior knowledge of the franchise.

I'm a casual viewer of these types of things so I wouldn't know what's Marvel and what's not.

I have watched and enjoyed all of the Iron Man movies and a Captain America movie. But I sense I have missed many of the newer releases, and given how much everyone is talking about this latest movie Id prefer to do it justice if that means binging the other movies first.

I'm a casual viewer of these types of things so I wouldn't know what's Marvel and what's not.

I have watched and enjoyed all of the Iron Man movies and a Captain America movie. But I sense I have missed many of the newer releases, and given how much everyone is talking about this latest movie Id prefer to do it justice if that means binging the other movies first.

Endgame is definitely about paying off a plot that’s been woven through loads of movies, so I’d imagine it’d be fairly odd viewed as a stand-alone film. I think if you truly wanted to do it justice you should endeavour to see as many as possible.

The most skippable in my opinion are Hulk, Thor 1 and 2, Dr Strange and Captain Marvel, as you get the gist of those characters and their key events pretty quickly when they feature in the big team up movies.

Others like Ant Man, Spiderman: Homecoming, Black Panther and Guardians Vol. 2 are all really good movies, but again you can probably just use the phrase “and they had some adventures since we last saw them” and not miss much by way of key plot points.

If I had to pick a few that I think are most vital ahead of Endgame:
Iron Man
Captain America
Avengers
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War (absolute must, Endgame is a direct sequel)
Ant Man and The Wasp

That might still leave you with the occasional “who is that” or “what’s that reference” moment, but that would cover the vast majority of what you’d need to know going in.

Endgame is definitely about paying off a plot that’s been woven through loads of movies, so I’d imagine it’d be fairly odd viewed as a stand-alone film. I think if you truly wanted to do it justice you should endeavour to see as many as possible.

The most skippable in my opinion are Hulk, Thor 1 and 2, Dr Strange and Captain Marvel, as you get the gist of those characters and their key events pretty quickly when they feature in the big team up movies.

Others like Ant Man, Spiderman: Homecoming, Black Panther and Guardians Vol. 2 are all really good movies, but again you can probably just use the phrase “and they had some adventures since we last saw them” and not miss much by way of key plot points.

Iron Man
Captain America
Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man and The Wasp

That might still leave you with the occasional “who is that” or “what’s that reference” moment, but that would cover the vast majority of what you’d need to know going in.
Agree with this but I would say that those standalone movies that have no really link to the plot of Endgame are still beneficial to watch as they act as character development mediums. Without them you have a bunch of characters that you have no idea about in a movie that will ultimately be a mess. I think that was the whole idea behind the 10 year, 22 movie saga.

Just ask DC how it goes when you don’t do this and try to jump straight into it.

Iron Man
Captain America
Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man and The Wasp

Thanks mate! Will see which of these I can track down on Netflix and Stan.. I may have to legally acquire some via other methods

Agree with this but I would say that those standalone movies that have no really link to the plot of Endgame are still beneficial to watch as they act as character development mediums. Without them you have a bunch of characters that you have no idea about in a movie that will ultimately be a mess. I think that was the whole idea behind the 10 year, 22 movie saga.

Just ask DC how it goes when you don’t do this and try to jump straight into it.

100% re: character development. Spiderman and Guardians 2 specifically are big on character development that pays off in Infinity War/Endgame. If you’re on a time crunch though and just wanted to catch up on key points ahead of the ridiculous final act that is Endgame, I think some have to get cut.

On an unsurprising note yes I am a massive nerd and would talk about these movies forever.

Thanks mate! Will see which of these I can track down on Netflix and Stan.. I may have to legally acquire some via other methods

I’m not sure if every movie is on there but I know Stan made a huge deal of acquiring the Marvel licence away from Netflix recently, so I’d start there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back