Random Discussion Thread 142- Into The Wild

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Been Googling any anti-Semitic literature lately? Or Braveheart gifs?
21AB668C-C472-4C84-9EFC-1412E2EE254E.gif

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Unsure where to post this so figure RDT will do.

Was watching the Saints v Cats match from mid 09 today and wondered what Gardy was up to these days.

In the basic good search I conducted I found this: https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue...rtin-mckenzie-murray/west-coast-boys-done-bad

A pretty interesting read that for the most part didn't unearth heaps of new stuff to me, but interesting for the most part anyway.

That is until this:

What sounds like clear-headed wisdom becomes stranger when Judd describes a night in 2003 when he and Daniel Kerr were driving down a Perth freeway and saw what appeared to be a mannequin fall upon the road before them. When they pulled over to the emergency lane to inspect what had happened, Judd came across a man taking his last, shallow breaths upon the asphalt. He had leaped from the overpass above, and his skull was split open. “It doesn’t look too bad. You’ll be OK,” Judd counselled the unconscious man.

The story seemingly comes from nowhere, much like the man that had fallen before them, but Judd wraps the story up in one page.

I remember that I felt sorry for the poor bugger, whose life had come to that. But, and I hope this doesn’t sound too cold, it didn’t have any long-lasting effect on Kerr-ey or me. The club offered us counselling, but I don’t think either of us took them up on it. It became one of those things that happens in life.

I didn't bother reading Juddy's book, but I'm surprised this never got more coverage, albeit potentially insensitive to the poor soul who is written about. Pretty shocking thing to read, yet Judd's response isn't a huge shock given how he comes across in the media these days.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Was watching the Saints v Cats match from mid 09 today and wondered what Gardy was up to these days.

In the basic good search I conducted I found this: https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue...rtin-mckenzie-murray/west-coast-boys-done-bad

A pretty interesting read that for the most part didn't unearth heaps of new stuff to me, but interesting for the most part anyway.

That is until this:

I didn't bother reading Juddy's book, but I'm surprised this never got more coverage, albeit potentially insensitive to the poor soul who is written about. Pretty shocking thing to read, yet Judd's response isn't a huge shock given how he comes across in the media these days.
That’s crazy

That is until this:

Wow.

Spoon_Man

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Vikings, USC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Georgie 404

All Australian
Jul 4, 2017
Smollettville
AFL Club
West Coast

That is until this:

Your taking things a bit out of context there
From the the same article-
If you’re driven to win premierships and gain all that comes with them – the sense of achievement, the lifelong friendships, the lasting memories – you will give almost anything. This was how it was at West Coast. We had a formalised vision of how we would prepare for and play the game, but beyond that, between the lines, we could sense strongly the idea of a football career that would live with us long after we had hung up our boots … When I arrived at Carlton, I experienced nothing like this.
Young men driven to succeed (on very good pay) and detached from the reality of everyday life...
Cousins and Kerr (to lesser extant) have paid a pretty hefty price for that
Same with mainwairing and chick etc
Judd managed to get out relatively unscathed captain Carlton and win another Brownlow..

As for “how he comes across i the media these days” he’s probably one of the sanest best commentators in the AFL. What he isn’t is a $parrot$

From one of his earliest articles (about 22 years old? ) he wrote having football players as role models is a dumb idea (or something like that)
He was 100% correct then, just as he is now
There’re football players!!

The role model aka $parrot$ thing is just (anti grass roots) top down bs

He would’ve copped a lot of grief for that article
It would’ve been a lot easier for him to tow the line
IMO we should be grateful he didn’t and still doesn’t:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back